what do you carry your tools in? (ideas and pictures)

• HTML tutorial

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

I'm looking for good ideas to carry tools in our (new to us) 2000 Jeep TJ? roll up tool bags, ect !!

Reactions: Magic Mike

NV Badlands

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carson Valley, Nevada
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force
It'd depend on your vehicle and expertise. My vehicle is new enough that I can't fix much of it, so I don't bring anything that wouldn't be useful. Most of my trips are solo, so if I can't fix it, it'd have to go to the dealer.

Reactions: NetDep and sully3

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

For every vehicle ive ever had it get its own tool box. Amd everytime i do anything to it, whatever tool i use comes out of my big box in the garage and into the vehicle specific one.

So after some time and tinkering, i end up with a kit that is prepared for anything specific to my jeep.

I keep it in a hard metal box thats under lock and key and locked to the underseat frame.

Reactions: sully3

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

For every vehicle ive ever had it get its own tool box. Amd everytime i do anything to it, whatever tool i use comes out of my big box in the garage and into the vehicle specific one.

So after some time and tinkering, i end up with a kit that is prepared for anything specific to my jeep.

I keep it in a hard metal box thats under lock and key and locked to the underseat frame.
I would like to see how you have yours, I also have a jeep and looking for ideas..

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I don't carry tools outside of a few basics. I don't work on vehicles and wouldn't know how to. The tools I carry are basic tools one might want for camping.
I would suggest you consider a larger perspective than this.

I came across someone who was very much in your shoes three days ago. Stuck at the side of the road with a flat tire and no abilities of his own with which to deal with it. I could have easily helped him. I had a truck and trailer, each with their own jack and lug wrench. But he didn't even realize he had fancy lug nuts requiring a special spline drive adapter. There was nothing I could do to help him.

I keep even The Bride's car equipped with tools and parts which I know she herself will not be able to put to good use, but I also know that she has coworkers who would know what to do.

No man is an island.

As to what I carry, it varies from one vehicle to another, but most of them have a jumper cable bag that also includes a selection of hand tools, including a socket set covering both metric and standard (I use the cheap metal hardware store socket boxes, take out the contents, cut down several socket rails so they will fit longwise, and then outfit the box with a decent set of sockets, extensions, ratchets, etc.), metric and standard wrench sets, nitrile gloves, zip ties, some primary wire...and I am sure some other things I am forgetting.

Since the Jeep is the vehicle that gets the most remote off road use it carries a more extensive tool kit, including the large socket required for the front axle nuts, extra extensions for reaching the crankshaft position sensor, bags of hardware in both metric and standard, and an assortment of sensors, U-joints and other spare parts.

I then also have a traveling tool kit that I take from one vehicle to another (because I can't afford so many duplicates of everything). That kit includes a scanner, fuel pressure gauge and a pair of sets of ratcheting wrenches (standard and metric).

It adds up to a bunch of tools, but I have never found myself wondering why it is that I carry "X" around with me. If anything it is a matter of "'dang, I need to add "X" to my kit." Last time it was a matter of wanting a magnetic pick-up tool.

If you don't know what your vehicle is likely to need in terms of tools, pay attention to a forum that is dedicated to your vehicle platform. You should be able to find someone there who does know what tools are most for the most likely scenarios for your vehicle.

Reactions: Baipin and sully3

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I didn't say I didn't have the tools or know how to change a flat.

Reactions: sully3

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
While tools are cool...they are no good if a major part is shot. I carry an extra of every critical sensor, along with belts, coolant, plugs, wires, rotor/cap, etc. We carry spare axles and driveshafts as well since we do VERY extreme trails.

Reactions: Schake and sully3

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
I'm looking for good ideas to carry tools in our (new to us) 2000 Jeep TJ? roll up tool bags, ect !!
Good day, I have a 2015 4Runner and the wife has a 2016 JK (Willy's). I carry socks for (3/8) every bolt & 1/2" for the bigger stuff, ratcheting / open end wrenches, 1/2" Impact driver with step down bits, three sizes of screw drivers, allen bits, torx bit / wrenches, two different breaker bars, battery run drill, wire cutters, vice grips, 3 sizes of adjustable of wrenchs, , tire repair kit including tire sowing supplies & valve stem replacement kit, flashlights, tarps, 2 hammers & 2.5 lb maul, electrical system parts (fuses, extra wire, connectors, tape), Ohm meter, Gorilla tape, bailing wire.

This list is not comprehensive, but it's a Off the top of my head list.

Reactions: mk-Zero and sully3

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I broke my tools down into several small bags. I have an electrical bag that I can just grab and it has a multimeter, wire strippers, elec, tape, various fuses and connectors, etc. I also have a plumbing bag which has a basin wrench (EVERYTHING on a camper is hard to reach) teflon tape, hose clamps and a few shark bite fittings in 1/2" in case I have to repair any of the PEX tubing in the camper. I even broke down wrenches and sockets in different bags. My "portable" toolbox got full and weighed close to 70 pounds. Much easier having several smaller tool bags and pouches. And I always carry an organizer with different screws and fasteners.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I actually use one of the less expensive sets of sockets both english and metric, just because of that and the fact it fits flat in the bottom of my tool bag.
Surprisingly they are not that bad. The ratchets are marginal, but I supplement with a couple of good ratchets.

Reactions: sully3 and 9Mike2

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

I have couple socket rails. That way if any sockets are missing I can notice, and they fit into a roll pack. I bought separate ratchets for a little upgrade. Such a big space saver.

Reactions: 9Mike2