what do you carry your tools in? (ideas and pictures)

• HTML tutorial

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well currently I have a socket set and a simple tool bag. After going through this thread I see some upgrades to my tool set. That tool bag I have is a pain in the you know what to find what you're looking for in when it's fool of tools. Something like that Bucket Boss tool roll might serve me well, definitely will help sort tools out better to make them easier to find.

I do have one question, what does everyone treat their tools with to keep them from rusting? I keep my tools in the back of my truck under the Diamondback cover which stays mostly dry but here in Florida the humidity ultimately causes them to start to rust. Just wondering what everyone has found to work best?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I do have one question, what does everyone treat their tools with to keep them from rusting? I keep my tools in the back of my truck under the Diamondback cover which stays mostly dry but here in Florida the humidity ultimately causes them to start to rust.
I would suggest Boeshield T-9.

Boeshield T-9

I haven't tried it in the situation you are trying to address, but it is the best thing I can think of. It will probably have to be reapplied periodically as tools chafing against each other are going to remove the wax from contact areas, but it should buy you some time in the fight against rust.

Frank&Bride

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Arizona, USA
Member #

Well currently I have a socket set and a simple tool bag. After going through this thread I see some upgrades to my tool set. That tool bag I have is a pain in the you know what to find what you're looking for in when it's fool of tools. Something like that Bucket Boss tool roll might serve me well, definitely will help sort tools out better to make them easier to find.

I do have one question, what does everyone treat their tools with to keep them from rusting? I keep my tools in the back of my truck under the Diamondback cover which stays mostly dry but here in Florida the humidity ultimately causes them to start to rust. Just wondering what everyone has found to work best?
I find living in Arizona works best, no rust in an oven.

But seriously, use bees wax, same stuff used for cast iron tables for shop tools.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
The brown travel bag in the center is the "Repair Bag" and it's got pretty much everything I need for emergency situations (complete socket & wrench set, multiple sizes/types of screw drivers & hand tools, hammer, C-clamps, pry bar, breaker bar, jumper cables, power inverter, zip ties, duct & electrical tape, electrical kit & fuses, WD-40, Fix-A-Flat, hand santizer, clean rags, etc). The rest of the gear in the tool box is: Emergency Response Kit, "Recovery Bag", First Aid Kit, Knee Pad, Air Up/Down Kit, 3-day Get Home Bag, Food/Water, Walking Stick, LED Lantern, Blanket, Warning Triangles, Umbrella, Bungee Cords & Ratchet Straps. The rebar and long zip ties on either side are for making splints. The box itself is weatherproof, so I don't worry about things getting wet. But, a good squirt of gear oil, wiped down helps me keep rust away.

IMAG0728.jpg

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

I’m from Florida also and have dealt with this issue for years. I clean my tools from the start (remove all rust if tools are old) with miniral spirit, then spray with your choice of corrosion inhibitor and wipe down to make sure they’re covered well. I keep them in roll packs in a bin and throw a few of those moisture absorbing packs in there. I’ve had tools in my truck for a few years with minimal care. The trick is catching the rust fast and cleaning it. In Florida, it’s a constant battle.

Reactions: Viking1204

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
I've been using a Drago Gear Tool Bag. My current one is about 3 months old but i had one prior to this that i used to store a 30' 3/8" chain. That bag was thrown from pickup trucks onto gravel, dragged across pavement, thrown around in the garage for years and never busted a single seam. I find this to be the perfect size for my tool kit. 105792105793105794

HeathenOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Harper's Ferry, WV
First Name
James
Last Name
Haun
Member #

I carry one of these for all my hand tools

And then a small case for electrical repair tools/tape/connectors

Both of those a hammer and a breaker bar in the rear drawers

Reactions: 9Mike2

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

20180409_170131-600x800.jpg
This is from my 4Runner (Sold Dec 2018).

I have done several full suspension jobs on two different vehicles with what was in the smaller box closer to the camera. Now those tools sit in a bag in my new Rav4.

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

View attachment 106011
This is from my 4Runner (Sold Dec 2018).

I have done several full suspension jobs on two different vehicles with what was in the smaller box closer to the camera. Now those tools sit in a bag in my new Rav4.
What do you estimate the weight to be with your current load out, and how much does it affect your suspension?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

What do you estimate the weight to be with your current load out, and how much does it affect your suspension?
The toolbag weighs 35lbs. The tools, recovery gear (including roof-mounted hi-lift), hitch, bike rack (on hitch), and full-sized spare (+40lb), added a hair under 200lbs over the rear axle.

In order to compensate, when I installed my lift, I also added a 2nd set of lift spacers on the opposite end of the rear coils. This resulted in the front being lifted 2" and settling to 1.75" (air compressor and winching chains under hood), and the rear being lifted 3.2" (instead of just 1.5) and settling to 2.2". I would have been disappointed with just 0.5" of lift had I not added the 2nd spacer.

Reactions: JoelIII

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I carry mine in a tidy cats litter bucket in the bed, i can fit everything i need plus some and it doubles as a seat. I know its janky but its worked for me. Before this i tried tool bags but always had stitching bust from the weight. It also keeps my stuff dry.

1561987025785502345227.jpg

My recovery gear goes in a old luggage bag.
1561987261591556992584.jpg
Yep im cheap as hell.

Reactions: WAYAWAY and roots66

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Well, cheap as hell just ruled out the solution I was going to offer if you want a tool bag that won't burst its seems: Veto Pro Pac.

I wore out a number of tool bags, and then I got a Veto Pro Pac XL. That is one tough bag. It has probably been about 10 years and the rubber overmold on the handle is starting to die, but it has led a rough life and done far better than anything else I have had. I am impressed. But they aren't cheap, and they aren't lightweight.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

My $5 Harbor Freight tool bag has been going strong for 6 months now :P . Granted, 6 months isnt super long, but it seems pretty durable. If I have to get a new one every year or two, it probably wont kill me heh.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I carry mine in a tidy cats litter bucket in the bed, i can fit everything i need plus some and it doubles as a seat. I know its janky but its worked for me. Before this i tried tool bags but always had stitching bust from the weight. It also keeps my stuff dry.

View attachment 106067

My recovery gear goes in a old luggage bag.
View attachment 106069
Yep im cheap as hell.
Cheap is good. Those Tidy Cat buckets are great for all kinds of things. Another cheap solution is to get used icing buckets from the bakery dept of a local Walmart or HEB. Some places will charge a dollar per bucket, but most just give them away after they are empty. They hold 4-5 gallons, are food grade, and come with gasket sealed lids.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I know this is a bit off topic but don't forget to close the doors on yer trailer....

DSCN2149.jpg

30 miles on the highway in a snow storm.....

• Wow
Reactions: RickLB and 9Mike2

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

My $5 Harbor Freight tool bag has been going strong for 6 months now :P . Granted, 6 months isnt super long, but it seems pretty durable. If I have to get a new one every year or two, it probably wont kill me heh.
I have one that is older than my son Henry (12 in March)

Reactions: Big G