What do you carry on your roof rack other than a RTT?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Just wondering what members carry on the roof of their rigs. What methods do you use to tie the various equipment down.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
For now I put mounts inside the roof rack to hold my recovery tracks and FuelPax container. Other than that I will put miscellaneous storage boxes up there held down by ratchet straps or web cords. Was trying to put my spare tire up there but it was too heavy for me. My roof rack can also hold my awning and/or water shower thingy.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
For now I put mounts inside the roof rack to hold my recovery tracks and FuelPax container. Other than that I will put miscellaneous storage boxes up there held down by ratchet straps or web cords. Was trying to put my spare tire up there but it was too heavy for me. My roof rack can also hold my awning and/or water shower thingy.
Beginning to wonder why I bought mine. Everything I want to put up there is too heavy for me.

augenholz

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Boppard, Germany
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Holz
Member #

zwei front runner boxen, zwei koffer aus aluminium, 2 zarges boxen, ein reservekanister und ein sack mit campingstühlen.

two front runner boxes, two aluminum suitcases, 2 zarges boxes, a reserve tank canister and a sack with camping chairs and a protective awning at the stern.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Heavy things generally go in the truck. The rack stores traction boards, a long shovel, my awning, our recovery gear and towels.

View attachment 121967
Then you are saying bulky and light items that consume space. I'm not there yet, except for shovel, farm jack and clothing containers. Thanks for input.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Then you are saying bulky and light items that consume space. I'm not there yet, except for shovel, farm jack and clothing containers. Thanks for input.
If it’s
Bulky, light, or dirty. It goes up top.

Recovery gear is dual purpose, if you get stuck in a mud hole or a water crossing it’s really handy to have it up there vs under everything else in back.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If it’s
Bulky, light, or dirty. It goes up top.

Recovery gear is dual purpose, if you get stuck in a mud hole or a water crossing it’s really handy to have it up there vs under everything else in back.
That makes sense especially for me. Seems like what I want is always on the bottom of the pile !

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I sometimes run my Plano cases up there if I need the extra space in the rig and hold them down with ratchet straps. I have my ARB awning on it all the time bolted to the FourTreks mounts and ActionTrax up there sometimes on homemade mounts that get held down with wing nuts or a ratchet strap. I leave the trax off the roof when I don't need them to avoid UV rays from weakening the boards. If I'm using the big ground tent, it goes up top since it is long and it's usually ratchet strapped down or in between cases.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I don’t get to camp much anymore ( damm work schedule . But when I do on the rack goes my Colman quick cabin , a quick shade, chairs and fishing poles . If I ever get a set of traction bars I guess they would probably go up there. But for the most part unless I’m camping nothings on the roof.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I don’t get to camp much anymore ( damm work schedule . But when I do on the rack goes my Colman quick cabin , a quick shade, chairs and fishing poles . If I ever get a set of traction bars I guess they would probably go up there. But for the most part unless I’m camping nothings on the roof.
Gotcha, I don't have a lot of the equipment mentioned in these threads but I will sooner or later. Knowing where to put it is a big deal.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

Just finished installing a roof rack, and used it to haul 12 ft. boards to charity. I don't own a roof top tent yet, but I also plan to use it for skis, future kayaks...
Besides, I like the look ;)

1571165184353.jpeg

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I originally had some waffle boards and a rifle case on my roof rack.
1571172170518.png
No rifle, just used it as extra storage.
More recently, I put my spare tire up there and have been looking for a case to mount sideways in front of the tire.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Heavy things generally go in the truck. The rack stores traction boards, a long shovel, my awning, our recovery gear and towels.

View attachment 121967
Do you have a roof rack for the Disco yet ? Are you planning to buy one ?

Attached is the one I purchased used from a man who had it made in Africa. He was a diplomat there for years. I need to get it to my welder for a little clean up and add a couple of tie down brackets like the ones on the rear section. I also need to remove the black plastic gutter trim. It was beat up in a hail storm awhile back. I will remove it and paint the gutters black before I put the rack back on.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just finished installing a roof rack, and used it to haul 12 ft. boards to charity. I don't own a roof top tent yet, but I also plan to use it for skis, future kayaks...
Besides, I like the look ;)

View attachment 122178
Yup, it looks like it belongs there. Very nice unit and a good looking jeep too.

United Patriot Partners

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cosumnes River, Wilton, CA, USA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Schnabel
Member #

I have a High Country 55 Free Spirit Tent I carry on trips but store it at my campsite when not overland bound. It also serves as a carrier for my dry bags or dirty stuff like recovery tracks when used. Overall now that I have it on I wouldn't ever remove it.20190901_082031.jpg20190901_082049.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow