Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We went out for a 5 hour ride, exploring the areas around our house. Found some neat places and checked out a route to add to my extension of the MSO New Castle route. In a few months, I'm going to do my end of it for a weekend trip.

tmp_15893-20170312_152159-1419389939.jpg

Reactions: MagnoliaOverland

KCAT

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pueblo, Colorado, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
King
Member #

Not today but Friday. Started reworking the engine compartment. PO added lots of stuff and did a piss poor job of it. Figured out that I have at least 10 circuits going nowhere... Interesting...

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Glenn, that is an awesome set up. I'll love you long time, if you write up a build thread. Of course once it's field tested.
Thanks ! I actually did bench testing of the entire setup before building it into the pelican case and I was very pleased. It provided power to a radio, 2 large led flood lights, a medium sized fan and string lights (xmas style) for 12 hours just on battery stored energy to replicate night time. It powered a drill, small circular saw and a sawsall as well. When I had the solar panel plugged in it was barely drawing off the batteries and replacing most power as it was being used surprisingly to me.
Impressive work. Approx weight?
Thankyou ! It weighs a dang ton. I will get the total figures soon. The (2) 100AH batteries alone beef it ! To move it, I will remove the batteries, load the case in the jeep and just hook the power back up. The Pelican has wheels so if its on the ground it isn't bad to move but lifting is ugly...lol

Reactions: PNWInfernoPro

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
Finished our solar kit this weekend, ready for field test. :smiley:

Seriously nice setup! I love it

My only concern would be heat since I didn't see any cooling and I don't believe you mentioned anything about air circulation. Usually those inverters have fans but not sure if it's pushing air in or sucking it out. Either way it's probably not enough air movement from that tiny fan.

Not sure what kind of batteries you have but you'll get more life out of them if you try and prevent temps higher than 78°. I know not possible at times but watching temps may be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pl626 and Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Seriously nice setup! I love it

My only concern would be heat since I didn't see any cooling and I don't believe you mentioned anything about air circulation. Usually those inverters have fans but not sure if it's pushing air in or sucking it out. Either way it's probably not enough air movement from that tiny fan.

Not sure what kind of batteries you have but you'll get more life out of them if you try and prevent temps higher than 78°. I know not possible at times but watching temps may be a good thing.
This is my concern too. Ambient temps are uncontrollable though and the lid on the case will be left open in the higher heat. The inverter does have a fan that will pull air into the case if it detects heating issues but I could barely sense heat when only powering the items mentioned above. This will definitely be a part of the field testing and I have plenty of space to cut in some fans should the need arise.

@RIBahler
The components of the kit;
100W Windy Nation Mono Flex Panel/ Windy Nation 100AH Batteries (2)

battery.jpg 51AAlMoLytL__SL1000_.jpg windy nation 100w mono.jpg EPEVER 20A MPPT Solar Charge Controller Tracer.jpg USB12V Power.jpg 30ft - 12AWG Cable Ext.jpg

Attachments

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
Thanks for the pics I like what you used.
I've been thinking about doing something similar for my trailer with slightly larger AGM's and more panels.
I've been meaning to look into whether or not AGM's outgas, I'm assuming they do but I'm not sure? Do you know if they do and if so are the fumes toxic?
The surge rating on that inverter is impressive.

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Thanks for the pics I like what you used.
I've been thinking about doing something similar for my trailer with slightly larger AGM's and more panels.
I've been meaning to look into whether or not AGM's outgas, I'm assuming they do but I'm not sure? Do you know if they do and if so are the fumes toxic?
The surge rating on that inverter is impressive.
No out gassing, they are sealed batteries. I do like that inverter. I originally bought a modified sine but some guys here straightened me out on that and I returned it for this pure sine. All we are looking to do is power camp lights, a tent fan and be able to charge lights, video /camera equipt , pc/phones as necessary... Oh and a radio...plenty of power from this kit for that small stuff :smile:

Reactions: macr88

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
Here's what I did today besides drooling over Glenn's setup.

It's a Ridgelander made by Undercover
Install was relatively easy and if it wasn't for having to align it the task would've been rated super easy.

It's on a 2016 Chevy Colorado

Had to go to work for round two so I didn't get to finish installing the crossbars or led lighting. Traffic at 9pm is so nice compared to 6am :)

Reactions: ZR2inCO and Glenn

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Installed a new battery. Was really oogling an Odyssey, but ended up with a DieHard Advanced Gold (AGM) for an unbelievable $138 + tax. (Link - I don't work at SEARS).

Read a ton of great reviews on these. Since they discontinued the Platinum line, I was told that the Advance Gold line as replaced it.

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

Installed a new battery. Was really oogling an Odyssey, but ended up with a DieHard Advanced Gold (AGM) for an unbelievable $138 + tax. (Link - I don't work at SEARS).

Read a ton of great reviews on these. Since they discontinued the Platinum line, I was told that the Advance Gold line as replaced it.
Diehards are great batteries. If I didn't already have healthly Odysseys, I would go Diehard. Ran dual Marine Platinums for years in my JK.

Reactions: chrispartida