Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Drove to town and back to get Costco lunch for the fam. Listened to a bunch of skip on the CB out of somewhere in the states, mostly garbage. I did manage to get a reply to my radio check from a local though :)

Reactions: Shahn and roots66

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I do enjoy a good GMT355 build. I think it's the best looking truck Chevy has built.

Especially if you get one with the 5.3.

Though, the new ones look pretty good.
Thanks. I do wish I had the 5.3, but the 3.7 L5 has plenty of power for my needs.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thanks. I do wish I had the 5.3, but the 3.7 L5 has plenty of power for my needs.
I had a 2004. I miss the gas milage of that truck. After dealing with a faulty cylinder head, and replacing the hubs 3 times in 18 months, I decided to cut my losses and switch gears.

Though, if I found one with a 5.3,id buy it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: roots66

yogiji5561

Rank 0

Contributor I

amarica
First Name
aayush
Last Name
kmGH
The upgraded brakes are from the Ford Expedition. I should have waited because I've been trying convince myself on doing a 7 lug conversion from the stock 5lug. The 7lug would basically be all the same IFS up front except having 7 lugs but the rear upgrades to the larger 10.25" rear end vs. the stock 9.75. I've been told the 9.75 is probably better but I've already been the victim of sheered off lugs in a car, I would hate to see it happen in a truck on the trail.
pikashow.fyi
ppssppgold.one

Last edited:

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
After selling the camper shell, I used the funds to get a pair of cross bars that fit over the bed cover and a 64x50 cargo basket. So essentially I have a second bed over the original. Before mounting the basket, I used 3 cans of bed liner spray to keep things from getting scratched/rusted. To give you an idea of just how much this thing can hold. The last pic has (3) 108qt Plano boxes, (2) 7 gal Aquatainers, & (2) 5gal gas containers with room left over for some smaller stuff (probably a recover gear box). The bars stick out 9" past the sides of the basket, so the traction boards will fit on the bars on one side and I'll build/install a pressurized water system using 4" schedule 40 ABS pipe on the other side. Not only will this make it easier for the kitchen setup that's going on the, to be built later, bed slide, but it will probably eliminate the need for the Aquatainers, thus even more room available. I'm also planning to install some flood/chase lights on the lower rear bar of the basket as they won't interfere with anything in the basket there (hence the reason I mounted it backwards and left off the fairing). Best part is that nearly everything in the basket is still only cab height, so no real wind issues.

IMAG2653.jpgIMAG2654.jpgIMAG2656.jpg

Tk2427

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Kelly
After several months of - camping, dog training, bird hunting, more camping, trail runs...I did a 100% unpack, clean, vacuum, clean the load liners, was out fridges, clear roof rack. Repack all my gear and get ready to start over.......full reset basically

Found 3 headlamps I'd written off....and about $7 in coins too

Steward I

Nisku, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Westfall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
RamRunner78
Bought a second hand rigged ridge hd bumper, ordered the new hd striker hoop for it. Cleaned up and sanded the rust off the bumper, installed the hoop and primed and bed lined the entire thing to match. Also installed rugged ridge headlight guards.

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
This weekend was preventive maintenance for the fleet, Lube oil and filter, visual inspection and repairs to some small items that have been driving me nuts. Chased down a clunking on the WJ due to a loose lock nut on a control arm, Reorganized some gear on the JK, and made sure the Ram was ready for a road trip to Expo West coming up. Ended the weekend with exercising the three winches by using them to drag each other up the driveway. Now have them all ready for adventure and a big mess in the garage to clean up.

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
Pulled the engine in the VW today. All the full throttle driving into the strong headwinds on my trip to Kansas did it in. The cylinder 3 exhaust valve is stretching, hammering the valve seat or ??? but it won't hold an adjustment anymore. On an early aircooled VW engine. Cooling air to cylinder 3 first passes through the oil cooler which both heats it and slightly restricts it, resulting in #3 running hotter than the other cylinders. Consequently, most problems crop up with #3. Later (around 1970 i think) VW relocated the oil cooler further forward to prevent this issue. Anyway, the car started sounding off on the return trip back to Wisconsin. I figured that exhaust valve was getting too tight. Being a true champion, the VW made it all the way home. The next day I changed the oil and adjusted the valves, and cylinder 3 exhaust was at almost zero clearance. I reset it back to .006" but after only 150 or so miles the engine was sounding off again. I rechecked the valve and the clearance was already starting to close up again. Time for rebuilding the cylinder heads. I'm going to replace the pistons and cylinder as well and do some other repairs that I've been putting off since the engine is out. This engine went 97,391 miles with zero work outside of routine maintenance. That's pretty good for an old VW engine I built in a shed 11 years ago.

Cylinder #3 exhaust. Notice how much farther out the adjuster is than the others. Not good.

Engine out.

Call_me_Tom

Rank III

Enthusiast II

San Joaquin County, California, United States
First Name
Tom
Last Name
K9er
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Ret
My boys and I installed the OVS Nomadic 270 Awning and boy was it a pain to do.

My FSR Evolution RTT was already installed so we had to disconnect the side the awning was to be mounted on to have room to work. We also had to make a Home Depot run for washers to fill in the gap between the OVS bracket and the Yakima crossbars.

Overall the wife is happy and that is what counts. She and my two toddlers will be going on their first outing Memorial weekend near Death Valley and I’m trying to make things as comfortable for them as I possibly can.

Attachments

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Finally found a mount and location to carry the Hi Lift. Headed to the mountains in a month and will be in some areas where it may come in handy. And, it looks cool!

Yes, am concerned about the angle and bouncing around off road. Good thing is I can adjust it pure vertical if needed. The thought is I can get it down without having to climb up on anything.

Mounted it with the axe in place to be sure I wouldn’t bang the knuckles if I need the axe. Will most likely bang my knuckles anyway - there’s a history!!

Attachments