Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Saturday did a straight through 2nd leg of a 1989 round trip (19 hour drive from Oak Harbor WA to home). Somewhere near Eugene Oregon the WJ lost the alternator function. Made it into Eugene and a parts store on battery, and they had one in stock. R&R and on the road again! Counting our lucky stars this happened near a city, there is a lof of wonderful nothing on I-5 between there and home.

Not bad for a spur of the moment 2000 mile round trip with no prep. Top off the air in the tires, 3 new wiper blades, an alternator, and a lot of gas. And the hum from bad rear axle bearing/housing didn't change in pitch the entire trip. AND the service engine (change the dang oil dummy) countdown had 23 miles on it when I arrived home.

alternator.jpg

Last edited:

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
Saturday did a straight through 1989 mile / 19 hour drive from Oak Harbor WA to home. Somewhere near Eugene Oregon the WJ lost the alternator function. Made it into Eugene and a parts store on battery, and they had one in stock. R&R and on the road again! Counting our lucky stars this happened near a city, there is a lof of wonderful nothing on I-5 between there and home.

Not bad for a spur of the moment 2000 mile round trip with no prep. Top off the air in the tires, 3 new wiper blades, an alternator, and a lot of gas. And the hum from bad rear axle bearing/housing didn't change in pitch the entire trip. AND the service engine (change the dang oil dummy) countdown had 23 miles on it when I arrived home.

View attachment 256236

Glad it worked out. Had a similar experience in my old Astro van. I was waiting in the left turn lane at a stop light in some town in central Texas. When the light turned green, I pulled away and the van suddenly died in the middle of the intersection. Cranked it a couple times but it wouldn't start. Getting nervous about being stuck in a busy intersection with an impending green light, I threw it in neutral, jumped out, and pushed it through the intersection and into the nearest parking lot. I think I summoned some super strength in my frustration and anxiety because Astro's are heavy! Anyway, at the far end of the parking lot there was an Advance Auto parts store. I took a guess at a bad ignition coil, purchased one, and installed it with some tools they leant me. Low and behold, it fired right up and the rest of the trip continued uneventfully. Gotta love when things like that just work out.

Reactions: JimBill

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Rack and pinion with all ends, new hubs, new trakmotive cv axles, changed the oil and filter.
Waiting for the alignment shop to finish up, then time to pack up for Charlotte zmax drag races this weekend.
We'll be camping at turn 4 if anyone is around...

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Made an adapter for my spare tire today. The slightly oversized tires fit in the stock spot under the truck, but the tie down was too short so I cut a chunk of threaded rod, and used a thread coupler with some lock tite and now it's good to go. I only put the lock tite on the threaded rod side so it's easy for me to remove when I putbthe snow tires back on ( narrower).

Attachments

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

I'm going with a "this week" theme instead of today.

Finally got my bed rack mounted thanks to the help of @Rav4_Overland and @J_Walker1977 back in April so it was time to get to work.

This week I mounted an LED strip (normally used under the tailgate) to the bedrack since my 3rd brakelight is somewhat obstructed. I installed a pair of front tow hooks, since I didn't have any. It was much easier than YouTube led me to believe. I purchased and mounted a case to the bedrack to gear storage.
Then today I installed one of those ever so helpful tailgate assists, I've wanted one since I bought the truck 5 years ago. And because I absolutely abhor the yellow light given off by regular incandescent bulbs, I swapped all the inside bulbs to daylight LED's. All somewhat small projects, that in combination make a huge difference. Im starting to fall in love with my truck again.

Next up is a roof rack, auxbeam, lightbar, pod lights, and a chase light. Hopefully all at the same time.

Attachments

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Technically Saturday but got busy and forgot to post. Replaced the passenger wiper arm after ordering the wrong one a week ago and replaced the under hood wiper hose from the wipers to the reservoir. Only had to replace the passenger wiper arm because the end that connects the wiper arm hose and under hood hose was broken. Unfortunately didn’t think to take pictures, but it isn’t like those are exciting to see anyway.

Never realized that there are two different sets of wiper arms for the Tahoes. Lesson learned, when ordering parts always double check and when in doubt go out and look at the part being replaced to insure you are getting the right part. And if you must, double and triple check.

Matang

Rank IV

Advocate II

Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Bryant
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corp and Army
Technically Saturday but got busy and forgot to post. Replaced the passenger wiper arm after ordering the wrong one a week ago and replaced the under hood wiper hose from the wipers to the reservoir. Only had to replace the passenger wiper arm because the end that connects the wiper arm hose and under hood hose was broken. Unfortunately didn’t think to take pictures, but it isn’t like those are exciting to see anyway.

Never realized that there are two different sets of wiper arms for the Tahoes. Lesson learned, when ordering parts always double check and when in doubt go out and look at the part being replaced to insure you are getting the right part. And if you must, double and triple check.
Do you know how it was broken?

Reactions: The breaze

The breaze

Rank III

Explorer I

Bennington, Douglas County, Nebraska, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Kassinger
Member #

Nothing physically but ordered the roof rack, RTT and 270 awning!! No just have to sit and twiddle my thumbs until everything shows up!
I finally made the decision to get rid of my half basket and snowboard rack, and ordered a TMBK 3 ~ overland systems tent. Looked easy enough to set up and had a good price, reviews looked good as well: hopefully it’s not a piece o $#!T :)

Still keeping my other racks for the moment and will probably continually switch um out.

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
@Matang it was just age, the end that the wiper arm went into was deteriorated from heat and I guess the little plastic piece broke in half with all the vibrations and not being held in place on both ends. I am sure the heat weakened the plastic piece too. And unfortunately the wiper arm holds the line for the windshield washer and I couldn’t find were you could just get the line that goes with the wiper arm, could only find the wiper arm.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Neighbor said their dog was missing and last seen on this trail close by.
Went to go look, holy shit the trail was incredibly rutted out, jeep was nearly sideways in a lot of spots, next to big boulders, and almost got stuck in a deep spot with 2 foot depth of snow/ice. Had to reverse out and steep cliff on one side. It was hairy as hell.
Anyways, didn't find the dog. But Katerina that night they managed to find it near their home.
The last snow storm did a number on the trails here, no wonder there's closures all over the mountain.