Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
What brand DC - DC charger do you recommend. I have a Rubicon and pull a Hive Off-Road Camper that has a REDARC BMS and 2x100ah Lifpro batteries.
Right now it has to be charged via solar, shore power or generator.
I'm using a 20A renogy DC-DC that I got on sale for $80. It's worked great so far, but I'm only running a single 100Ah LiFePO4 in my trailer, and we don't have a ton of electrical draw. The largest draw is probably our fridge, or when it's cold, the electric blanket (but we still have about 50% battery in the morning after running it all night).

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Rolling out at 6:30am Saturday. Getting Groot hooked up to Gamora for its inaugural tow pig duties.

Curious to see how she does!
What is that hanging above the drivers side rear wheel well?

Like that trailer!

Jim

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
What is that hanging above the drivers side rear wheel well?

Like that trailer!

Jim
It's a suction cup camera mount that I don't think will come off without peeling paint. :grinning:

I have since started using magnetic oil mounts. But that one just lives there!

And thanks! It's still a work in progress, but I'm loving it so far!

Current plans are to swap the crossbars to 8020 15 series, and add a mount for an awning over the kitchen (passenger side). I'm also going to add an exterior storage box over the driver's side fender, mount Jerry cans to each side of the tongue box, and whenever my 5lb propane tank mount gets here, mount that right behind the fender on the passenger side.

The current superstrut crossbars will get mounted on the front of the trailer, right above the tounge box. This will give me some nice mounting points for things like traction boards, a diesel heater, or anything else I want to mount there. I'll probably do another one along the driver's side wall for an Axe and Shovel mount.

I also need to install some interior lights,

Reactions: the_great_white

JaredThomsen

Rank VI

Member III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

Took off my factory steps and installed my first real aftermarket part today - a pair of Barricade Rubi Rails (rock slider/step)! Stoked on how they look and on the added protection for when I go off-roading!

Attachments

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Added a new Rigd Ultraswing Mega-Fit that I've been looking at for years. The rotopax 4 gallon really came in clutch for carrying extra fuel around various places during Hurricane Ian. Way better than having a Jerry can in the bed.

I'm looking at mounting my axe and shovel on one side of the spare and my traction boards on the other with one of those strap mounts that goes around the tire. Want to get them off the roof rack (so I can put different stuff up there, of course). Anybody have ideas for mounting the boards to the generic strap mount? I have MAXSA escaper buddies that don't stack quite as well as the MaxTrax do. Don't think the MaxTrax ones work with MAXSA, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Took off my factory steps and installed my first real aftermarket part today - a pair of Barricade Rubi Rails (rock slider/step)! Stoked on how they look and on the added protection for when I go off-roading!
Now you’ve started the scope creep. Next is fenders that mesh up nicely to the ends…

JaredThomsen

Rank VI

Member III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

Totally! I’ve already been checking out flared fenders….and other things haha!

Now you’ve started the scope creep. Next is fenders that mesh up nicely to the ends…

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Added a 1/2" spring spacer in the rear to level the jeep a bit nicer (front is lighter than expected) and checked the bolts and stuff while on the lift.
Today finished my window tint and rearranged my overlanding stuff in the rear because we're heading out on Friday

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Last weekend I joined 33 other Subarus on a 3 day trail ride/overland adventure. Some beginners, some experienced, stock vehicles, to built offroad rigs. This pic is 6440, hooking up 6444’s car to tow 6894 out after a broken axle stopped his progress. A 2.5 hour parts run, and some campsite repairs later, everyone was rolling again. Also got a good pic of my Outback at High Rock Bay at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in Upper Michigan. Check out Subaru Fl4tfest and MtnRoo Midwest if you are want to see more!

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
installed a cargo basket a couple years ago on my camper shell and pretty much forgot about it. noticed some rust on it the other day and decided to pull it down and paint it. immediately noticed that the left rear corner of the Yakima bar was missing both t-nuts. luckily i dodged a bullet...but i am definitely adding the crossbars and basket to a maintenance list. i drive pretty fast and if that basket came off and hit another vehicle, i would be in deep doo-doo :expressionless:

wonder how common it is to forget about checking crossbars and roof mounted items?

IMG_2487 (2).JPG

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MazeVX and roots66

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
installed a cargo basket a couple years ago on my camper shell and pretty much forgot about it. noticed some rust on it the other day and decided to pull it down and paint it. immediately noticed that the left rear corner of the Yakima bar was missing both t-nuts. luckily i dodged a bullet...but i am definitely adding the crossbars and basket to a maintenance list. i drive pretty fast and if that basket came off and hit another vehicle, i would be in deep doo-doo :expressionless:

wonder how common it is to forget about checking crossbars and roof mounted items?

View attachment 241957
Your driving generated enough downforce to keep the loose rack in place.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Been in and out of the garage a lot, spent a few days in Mexico with the wifey. Still working some of the last bugs out of the CJ2. After getting the transmission back in and getting it going down the road, that same day, I developed a squeak in the front driver's wheel that I traced to the inner wheel bearing on that hub. Ordered the parts from Rock Auto and left for Mexico. They should have came in the same day I got home but a shipping mixup sent it back to Rock Auto, so reordered locally though a FLAPS and got them in today right before I left to work some OT. I spent a few minutes pressing in the new races and seating, adjusting the new bearings but didn't get a chance to finish before I had to leave. But the CJ2 will be back on the road......again, Sun or Mon depending on if I work OT lol.

JakeHalloran

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Chehalis, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Halloran
Member #

I picked up some wheels and tires from a super nice guy in Seattle this week, they are take offs from a 2021 Tacoma TRD OR. They only have 8,000mi on them, picked them up for only $400! Not bad for like-new wheels and tires. Makes this old pickup look a bit newer. Leveling kit is in the mail and will be installed soon. Bigger tires to come next month.20220821_134834.jpg20221005_184224.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Installed my old Zarges box on the Gladiator, getting ready for the October 14/15 OB Trail Guardian Event in the Mojave Preserve and our three week trip to Big Bend NP in TX.
IMG_0556.JPGIMG_0557.JPG