Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
Depending on your rim style underneath you may have a bunch of filler foam to deal with. It’s quite the pain to get off.434227F0-DEB5-46D8-82BF-F07F78F257B7.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Sparksalot

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
So yesterday I finished the transmission assembly. Something that should have taken a few hours took most of the day as I had to backtrack multiple times due to out of spec measurements to add shims or just plain forgetting stuff. In the later part of the day when the temps were pushing 100 the Vaseline, lavender scented....I have the best smelling transmissions around, I was using for assembly lube had turned from semisolid to liquid and while trying to change a shim on the rear bearing spacer I heard a few input shaft bearings hit the bottom of the case. DOH! When I took it apart and went to get more I found the whole jar had turned to liquid. Into the freezer it goes.

Any who, got that finished finally while also taking care of other things around the house and power lifted the transmission and t-case assembly to the floor, around 4pm, where it waited for me until this morning. I got up a little early before having to take kids to school and stabbed the transmission into the bell housing using 2 floor jacks and holding my tongue just right.

At this point, things hit a brick wall. You can install the clutch fork though the top inspection port of the transmission. I tried every trick in the book and the CJ2 and CJ5 forums trying to get it in there short of removing the transmission and bell housing as a whole unit, by their reports it should basically drop in with a little effort.

Sometime around 9pm tonight I decide......hey this is a non OEM part (Crown or Omix from Kaiser Willys), wonder what it looks like compared to the original I took out, the one that even though I took it out of the Jeep a year ago is still floating around on my work bench..............well motherfu........The area where the clutch fulcrum rides is not only deeper but the "wall" on the inside of the fork that it has to clear to seat into the pocket is also much higher than the original fork.

I break out my die grinder and reprofile the area to make it look more like the OEM part and the damn thing practically falls into the place using the string trick from the various forums.

Ugh so close. Went ahead and hooked up the clutch cable and adjusted it, but still have about an hour worth of wrap up to do to drive it again.

305770501_10229048709108530_601574910334709493_n.jpg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So yesterday I finished the transmission assembly. Something that should have taken a few hours took most of the day as I had to backtrack multiple times due to out of spec measurements to add shims or just plain forgetting stuff. In the later part of the day when the temps were pushing 100 the Vaseline, lavender scented....I have the best smelling transmissions around, I was using for assembly lube had turned from semisolid to liquid and while trying to change a shim on the rear bearing spacer I heard a few input shaft bearings hit the bottom of the case. DOH! When I took it apart and went to get more I found the whole jar had turned to liquid. Into the freezer it goes.

Any who, got that finished finally while also taking care of other things around the house and power lifted the transmission and t-case assembly to the floor, around 4pm, where it waited for me until this morning. I got up a little early before having to take kids to school and stabbed the transmission into the bell housing using 2 floor jacks and holding my tongue just right.

At this point, things hit a brick wall. You can install the clutch fork though the top inspection port of the transmission. I tried every trick in the book and the CJ2 and CJ5 forums trying to get it in there short of removing the transmission and bell housing as a whole unit, by their reports it should basically drop in with a little effort.

Sometime around 9pm tonight I decide......hey this is a non OEM part (Crown or Omix from Kaiser Willys), wonder what it looks like compared to the original I took out, the one that even though I took it out of the Jeep a year ago is still floating around on my work bench..............well motherfu........The area where the clutch fulcrum rides is not only deeper but the "wall" on the inside of the fork that it has to clear to seat into the pocket is also much higher than the original fork.

I break out my die grinder and reprofile the area to make it look more like the OEM part and the damn thing practically falls into the place using the string trick from the various forums.

Ugh so close. Went ahead and hooked up the clutch cable and adjusted it, but still have about an hour worth of wrap up to do to drive it again.

View attachment 241272
Oof. That sounds like a PITA, but more power to you man! I'm not sure that I would even want to attempt that.

I've been getting a lot of small stuff done on my rig over the last few months.

First was mounting my plano boxes to my roof rack.

There's a sheet of 1/2in plywood in the bottom of each box that provides support and rigidity, and I bolt through that, into the superstrut crossbars.

Next I added a couple of molle panels on the inside:

I also added a seat back molle organizer:

I also added some aux backup lights, installed my tow hitch (finally), and built, and installed my harness for the DC-DC charger in the trailer:

And the most recent thing has been figuring out how to mount and power camera equipment.

Right to left - dji osmo pocket, phone to monitor/control osmo pocket, android auto navigation/music, dji Mavic air 2 control, action camera up by the mirror. There's a backpack on the passenger seat with two more action cameras, and a full size osmo as well as other items.

Soon, I'll be upgrading the radiator, installing an aux transmission cooler, and installing some add-a-leafs into the leaf packs to help with the weight of gear/trailer.

Mike P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Mike
Member #

So last few excursions we've made with RTT I've had 1 large issue, my 33" spare is all up in my way! Other option is ditching it or putting it on top of the tent, either way it's been a pain in the butt!
So I though about having a chainfall system inside yo lower and raise if it's needed, an also keeping the spare out of the precious cargo space I have.
Too dang easy! The hardware was only 4 bolts to remove the OEM spare chain fall doo-hickey, and I had 1 spot I had to cutout on the cross section of the rack. I reinforced that bracket, welded that joint to give more stiffening strength and boom!
Flush mounting the chainfall conceals it quite well, the factory jack rods still work just fine! Cheers!

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Made some modifications to my trailer box today. Put lots of things in some little zippered pouches. Also made a webbed strap and buckle release to hold things upright. Heading out next weekend with the kiddo for probably her last camping trip until spring.

Hopefully my 5lb propane tank bracket gets here this week, and I can get that mounted.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ

Attachments

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I almost finished painting my LJ today. I hoped to take it camping next weekend, but I don't think that will happen. The trailer will go with my XJ and work will continue on the LJ when I get back.

22-09-23 1.JPG

Reactions: roots66

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
It has been a week long ordeal. I got my Starlink and wanted to run it all off of DC for the trailer. Probably would have been quicker if the first PoE injector wasnt bad. But got the inverter, stepup convertet to 48v and tested to make sure I had dishy power. Dishy McFlatface fits perfect in one of the storage areas, used the shipping packaging so it doest slide around. and last It passes though the outside of the RV with a waterproof connector so im bot running wires through doors or windows. Just need a telescoping pole to mount dishy on. Router hooked up inside and out of the way. going to wait to install the wire runners to make sure thats where I want it.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: reaver and roots66

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It has been a week long ordeal. I got my Starlink and wanted to run it all off of DC for the trailer. Probably would have been quicker if the first PoE injector wasnt bad. But got the inverter, stepup convertet to 48v and tested to make sure I had dishy power. Dishy McFlatface fits perfect in one of the storage areas, used the shipping packaging so it doest slide around. and last It passes though the outside of the RV with a waterproof connector so im bot running wires through doors or windows. Just need a telescoping pole to mount dishy on. Router hooked up inside and out of the way. going to wait to install the wire runners to make sure thats where I want it.
Dishy McFlatface!! Ha! Classic g-rated K12 description!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Testing the trailer lights and DC-DC charging in the X tonight. If all goes well, I'm pretty much ready to go this weekend. Just need food, fill the water tanks, and load up clothes.

I even managed to flget the puffy quilts and camp pillows into the RTT, AND get it closed. Not having to setup bedding will be super nice.

Reactions: MazeVX and roots66

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
What mistake did I make on my rig today?

Changed thermostat on our 12 sahara jku. Went to test run and check for leaks after wiping down the engine bay, then spent the next hour picking out the bath towel that was pulled into the crank pully.

Tomorrow's project purchase a new belt and install.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Last night, I went to test the DC-DC charging and trailer lights when hooked up to the Xterra (I've been towing it with the truck).

DC-DC charging wasn't working, but then I decided to pop the hood, and check the breaker.... I forgot to close the breaker switch.

And.... The tail lights work!!
Though the driver's side blinker in the plug on the Xterra is a bit finicky. I'll have to look into what I can do about that. Maybe it's got some dirt in there.

Ranger Overland

Rank IV

Traveler III

USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Carey
Member #

Last night, I went to test the DC-DC charging and trailer lights when hooked up to the Xterra (I've been towing it with the truck).

DC-DC charging wasn't working, but then I decided to pop the hood, and check the breaker.... I forgot to close the breaker switch.

And.... The tail lights work!!
Though the driver's side blinker in the plug on the Xterra is a bit finicky. I'll have to look into what I can do about that. Maybe it's got some dirt in there.
What brand DC - DC charger do you recommend. I have a Rubicon and pull a Hive Off-Road Camper that has a REDARC BMS and 2x100ah Lifpro batteries.
Right now it has to be charged via solar, shore power or generator.

Attachments

Reactions: the_great_white