Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Added another Jeep to the driveway. Previous owner has it listed as a 1950 CJ3A but those more knowledable on older CJs have told me it's probably a 46 or 47 2A with a 3A windshield on it. There are no frame serial number tags left so all I have is the tub serial number which are 10,000ish less than the frame serial numbers. If that number is accurate that puts this as a 47 2A. Given the running gear I'm leaning towards early 47 as it's still rocking some MB running gear, which was a common thing when CJ2As first came out because they were using up left over MB/GPW parts from the war.

Has a blown head gasket for sure but will run and move under it's own power. Current plans are a full tear down and refreshing of the tub, and at least a reseal of the engine if not a full overhaul.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Added another Jeep to the driveway. Previous owner has it listed as a 1950 CJ3A but those more knowledable on older CJs have told me it's probably a 46 or 47 2A with a 3A windshield on it. There are no frame serial number tags left so all I have is the tub serial number which are 10,000ish less than the frame serial numbers. If that number is accurate that puts this as a 47 2A. Given the running gear I'm leaning towards early 47 as it's still rocking some MB running gear, which was a common thing when CJ2As first came out because they were using up left over MB/GPW parts from the war.

Has a blown head gasket for sure but will run and move under it's own power. Current plans are a full tear down and refreshing of the tub, and at least a reseal of the engine if not a full overhaul.

can't wait to see what you do with this.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Finished up the updated wall wrap and moved on to the updated DC/DC - MPPT Solar unit.
IMG_1487.jpeg IMG_1490.jpeg

The front windows were getting splash back from the cab of the truck and the material was wicking water at the base seam/fold. Using Ottertex 8.8oz polyester PU coated.

Reactions: Shahn and roots66

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The acquisition of the 2A has spurred me to finish the M416. Or at least finishish. I didn't spend a lot of time on the frame. Basically knocking the lose stuff off then shooting with primer and CARC Green.
Ill finish the fenders tomorrow and have it assembled and out of the way leaving me with the 2A project.

Ordered a new radiator to replace the old leaking one. New one is a 3 row aluminum to replace the 36 year old all metal one. Wanted to do a re-core to keep the copper/brass unit but after some research the aluminum will cool better. The cooper/brass dissipates heat better then aluminum but the aluminum radiators have larger coolant tubes and larger fin spacing allowing more airflow. So at slow speeds the fan can pull more air though the radiator. Griffin radiator claims a 2 row aluminum will cool the same as a four row metal and is much lighter. I never had a cooling issue so I will see if there is any change with the new unit. Happy trails!!

Reactions: Shahn and roots66

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Loaded up the CJ5 this morning for a run to the Ouchitas for a CASA charity event, about to roll that direction now actually. It's a motorcycle event (Rich Mountain Rendezvous) but I've been going for years and since I've moved deeper in the Jeeps figured it was a good close (3.5 hour) run of the overland variety.