SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Ah oxidation, ok you're right. It's very hard to clean. Definitely leaving it then. Thank you!
There are ways to get that sheen with AL and to keep it, but it generally involves clearish anodize, and it still ends up being a bit of a different color than bare polished/machined AL. Relatedly, how does the AL cover hold up on the trucks? When we replace the G80 in our truck with something less awful, I was going to swap the cover out as well, but most ones for the trucks seem to be aluminum.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
There are ways to get that sheen with AL and to keep it, but it generally involves clearish anodize, and it still ends up being a bit of a different color than bare polished/machined AL. Relatedly, how does the AL cover hold up on the trucks? When we replace the G80 in our truck with something less awful, I was going to swap the cover out as well, but most ones for the trucks seem to be aluminum.
Yeah I was kinda hoping to get the sheen back, but didn't know oxidation would play a part. I'm ok with it getting dingy over time. I keep telling myself, it's an 02, no worries. I believe it's holding up well. I replaced it because it developed a pin hole and fluid was almost near gone by the time I noticed. Apparently it's a know issue and GM has since developed a kit to address the pin hole issue. While it was in the shop I had them replace the really bad looking original cover with this one. This B&M cover is bigger which I guess allows more cooling, etc.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Yeah I was kinda hoping to get the sheen back, but didn't know oxidation would play a part. I'm ok with it getting dingy over time. I keep telling myself, it's an 02, no worries. I believe it's holding up well. I replaced it because it developed a pin hole and fluid was almost near gone by the time I noticed. Apparently it's a know issue and GM has since developed a kit to address the pin hole issue. While it was in the shop I had them replace the really bad looking original cover with this one. This B&M cover is bigger which I guess allows more cooling, etc.
Huh, was the pinhole in the diff cover itself?

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
Took the XJ and the kids and met up with a buddy (Pro4X Frontier) in the Ouachita National Forest after his return from a deployment and spent 4 days/nights tooling around and camping in different spots every night.

Old Fire Tower

Little Missouri Falls

Awesome

Reactions: Jdsint

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I sold it. Truck prices are so crazy right now, I sold my 2500 diesel back to the dealer after 50k miles of driving for $4000 more than I paid for it. I bought an AWD Chevy Express van with what was left over and am making an off roadish camper van.
That's going to be a fun project! I watch so many van conversions, now I want one, but wouldn't trade my 02, which is not worth much.

Reactions: Haminacan

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
View attachment 196310
Got my bronco running for the first time in a long time. Parked it a while back because it is losing oil pressure. The wife changed my mind for me because she wants to drive it. So until this fall when the 12 valve swap starts, she can drive it until it’s internals are on the ground. New battery and some gas in the carb and it fired right up.
Are you on FSB?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
been there. Ugh.
I’ve been here before as well. Drilling and tapping was my plan “Y”... plan “Z” was to remove the intake manifold and hope no more bolts broke... I’m hoping and praying that I have the water leak and over heating problems fixed now.

Reactions: Road and Sparksalot

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
No this forum is pretty much the only form of social media I have.
I highly recommend you check out Fullsizedbronco.com they are a heap of information for the 1978-1996 Broncos. Great group of people over there and the community is just like here.

Steward I

Nisku, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Westfall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
RamRunner78
Removed the old peeling decals and replaced them with more fitting ones for the military heritage. They also match the colour of the rims quite well.

Attachments

Joe N.

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Granada Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Navarrete
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMH637
Service Branch
US Navy
Had a great run up Jawbone Canyon from the Mojave desert to the Sequioa Forest for a nice lunch. Then back down the hill to Lake Isabella. About 50 miles on some really nice trails. Absolutely beautiful views and nature was friendly, squirels and deer all over.
20210513_122211.jpg20210513_140737.jpg20210513_140711.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: 9Mike2 and roots66