Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Wrangler JKU Dana 44 differential cover by AEV. Same cavitative shape as OEM as compared to other brands. Rubicons come with Dana 44 front and rear and these fit both.
Thanks, another question, are jeeps more prone to smashing diff housings ? I have read this discussion before in the forums but I cant recall the product name AEV being mentioned.
The conversations have always mentioned jeeps and the need for diff protection. What makes jeep so much more vulnerable to broken diffs from other makes.

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

Thanks, another question, are jeeps more prone to smashing diff housings ? I have read this discussion before in the forums but I cant recall the product name AEV being mentioned.
The conversations have always mentioned jeeps and the need for diff protection. What makes jeep so much more vulnerable to broken diffs from other makes.
All different covers are prone to damage especially the front. Its one of the lowest parts on a vehicle, get rubbed over rocks, logs... They are normally made from thin metal. Its not a jeep thing its only more jeeps are in the dirt. IMHO.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

AEV - American Expedition Vehicles really took overlanding parts to the next level in 2007. A couple of guys who designed the JK/JKU series and started their own company. They were the ones who created the BRUTE, what MOPAR is now calling the Gladiator, in 2008. They took a JKU, cut the frame, added 18" and some had 5.7L or 6.4L hemi swaps depending on the package. $100-120k dollar vehicles. They have a Filson Edition with a butter soft leather interior, 3.5" lift, 35's and 6.3L hemi, roof rack, skids, matching leather bags, and tons more.

I run their lift, wheels, bumpers, winch plate, interior bits, rear dif skid plate, front and rear ductile iron differential covers. Their cover easily weighs twice that of OEM. It will take a beating.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Got the tub off and power washed along with the frame. We though the frame was full of mud. Was actually full of dirt dauber nests. Those things are quite resistant to even the power washer but I think i got the frame blasted out. Got the caked on oil blasted off as well. Going to roll the frame back into the garage today after everything dries out and going to start pulling the t-case and transmission later this week. Before I do that I'm going to hook the engine back up to the battery and do a compression test. A few things need to be sealed up on the engine as well. Still a ways to go but making steady progress.

Some more janky wiring by one of the previous owners. Pretty sure it was a kill switch of some kind. It was screwed to the bottom of the steering column.

The master cylinder is so full of gunk I'm not even going to try to salvage it. Not for the 30 or 40 dollars a new one costs.

Throwing down some paint as well. Been doing it one piece at a time. Sanding a body piece one evening and spraying it the next morning before I leave for work. In another week or so I'll wet sand each piece and bust out the polisher.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Somewhere in eastern Oregon. One broken trailer welded with 2 batteries, and one jack knifed trailer left me a forever reminder on my quarter panel.
Glad it wasn't worse. Looks like maybe a toilet plunger could pull most of the dent out !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Spent 3 days up on the Mogollon Rim. Some much needed get away from everyday life time.
Question, did your spare tire carrier come built into your bumper or was it something you added to your bumper. Nice to see people getting away into the countryside.

Remington_Johnson

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Remington
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Spent 3 days up on the Mogollon Rim. Some much needed get away from everyday life time.
Question, did your spare tire carrier come built into your bumper or was it something you added to your bumper. Nice to see people getting away into the countryside.
Mines actually built into my hitch receiver bracket as I don’t have a bumper that could support that yet. It’s from Wilco off-road. I’ve been running it for almost 3 years and I’ve had no issues.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

On the way down from Steens Mountain. Engine hit 240 degrees on the way up in 100 degree weather, then at the top it was 58 degrees and rain blowing upward, with cat 4 hurricane force winds. Did get some pics with the big camera to show later. The trailer we welded up yesterday? Twiddle dumb flipped it on the switchbacks on our way down towards Alvord. Time to go help fix it again. At least on the down hill the WJ is running cool but not all the crew is....

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Mines actually built into my hitch receiver bracket as I don’t have a bumper that could support that yet. It’s from Wilco off-road. I’ve been running it for almost 3 years and I’ve had no issues.
Aaaaaaa thanks , thats just what I wanted to know.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Somewhere in eastern Oregon. One broken trailer welded with 2 batteries, and one jack knifed trailer left me a forever reminder on my quarter panel.
Glad it wasn't worse. Looks like maybe a toilet plunger could pull most of the dent out !
Not my favorite thing but the dent just closed the gap between a pampered daily driver and tenured trail rig.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Is it really an overlanding rig if there's no kitchen sink? Checked that off the list

Water setup: 25gal rv freshwater tank, rv water pump, filter (currently a charcoal cartridge but can get ones for making stream water safe to drink if need be), folding faucet. The hose to the faucet has a drinking water safe garden hose fitting in it, the coiled hose stuffed in there is also drinking water safe. Fridge is a Dometic drawer fridge, behind it is 2 120ah ATM batteries. The diesel heater on the left side is going away, too low use to justify the space. On the right behind my air hose is my air compressor.

Attachments