Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Hopefully you had a garage, cause it's hot today at least in Norcal. I did was the cars this morning at about 9 and it was already like 80+ degrees.
Unfortunately, I have one of those narrow-ass SoCal garages that make it impossible to work in unless you're directly in front of, or behind, the vehicle. The driveway is my only option for most of my projects. Luckily I had the Xpel Prime XR tint installed when I first got the vehicle. That tint blocks a lot of UV so it stays fairly cool inside with the doors open.

Reactions: Broke and RoarinRow

Kilo_17

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
Bergevin
Member #

A little before and after of the LED install.

I have not tried them out to see what the actual improvement is as I am asleep before night fall. LOL.

View attachment 156028

View attachment 156029
No doubt it will be a "night and day difference" haha
Looks like they will be a vast improvement though for sure.
I think I'm running 8-9k lumins in my X and no need for any other lighting to be honest. Only thought would be some yellow led fogs for when the fog hits and snow.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Checked oil pressure on my Disco, they tend to get lower pressure with age.

Oil in use Mobil Vr1 10/30 Synthetic - it has better performance than the Rotella 15/40, but it may be a little thin for these old push rod engines
Filter M301
I do have a tick hence the pressure testing

Seems good
cold idle at 50 PSI idle
at 188.6 F ,normal hot idle, 18 psi 680 RPM,
Hot idle 188.6F 2000 around 42 ish

For reference the RAVE workshop manual
  • 50 at cold idle
  • 10 minimum
  • should run between 40 and 50 at 2000 + rpm hot

I have a few concerns related to hotter summer temps, so I may move up to AMSOIL 20/50 synthetic for the summer

The test setup, the gauge feed wire from sender is tad short hence the test setup Cellphone is an old one I use to monitor engine temps, critical with an aluminum engine and having a temp gauge that is basically an idiot light.

Cold idle

Hot idle

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)

Oil in use Mobil Vr1 10/30 Synthetic - it has better performance than the Rotella 15/40, but it may be a little thin for these old push rod engines
Filter M301

Seems good
cold idle at 50 PSI idle

• 50 at cold idle
  • 10 minimum

I have a few concerns related to hotter summer temps, so I may move up to AMSOIL 20/50 synthetic for the summer

The test setup, the gauge feed wire from sender is tad short hence the test setup Cellphone is an old one I use to monitor engine temps, critical with an aluminum engine and having a temp gauge that is basically an idiot light.

Cold idle

Hot idle

I like AMSOIL all the time, full time.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I spent the morning, you guessed it, adding more sound deadening. Since I had some left I decided to hit up the rear door cards and rear inner door parts. The outer portion of the doors were taken care of during the initial stereo install. Tomorrow I move on to the front doors. Removing the door cards is fairly simple. Getting them back on is an entirely different story. I learned that the trick is to remove the weatherstripping piece from the door card and install it first. Then the door card will just snap in to place. Trying to get that weatherstripping to seat properly is a b**** when it's still attached to the door card.
IMG_20200527_105622.jpg
IMG_20200527_085630.jpg
IMG_20200527_102821.jpg

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
No doubt it will be a "night and day difference" haha
Looks like they will be a vast improvement though for sure.
I think I'm running 8-9k lumins in my X and no need for any other lighting to be honest. Only thought would be some yellow led fogs for when the fog hits and snow.
I am going to go with yellow rigid sae fog kit in the stock fog location, for fog lights. As for not needing more. We have more moose per sq km than any other place in Canada, yes you need more light, I think I'm going to run my tried and proven hella 500 driving beam with 55w 4300hid in them. I am going to swap the headlight housings to ece hella and led as well.

Kilo_17

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
Bergevin
Member #

I am going to go with yellow rigid sae fog kit in the stock fog location, for fog lights. As for not needing more. We have more moose per sq km than any other place in Canada, yes you need more light, I think I'm going to run my tried and proven hella 500 driving beam with 55w 4300hid in them. I am going to swap the headlight housings to ece hella and led as well.
Sound like a solid setup!
Forgive me I was referring to my own rig and not needing more lights ; ) there is an elk herd along the stretch of hwy I commute to an from work. I've seen several accidents involving people hitting them and I could only imagine what a moose would do :frowning:

AE5TE

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hobbs NM
First Name
David
Last Name
Robson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
AE5TE

Filter M301

Seems good
cold idle at 50 PSI idle

• 50 at cold idle
  • 10 minimum

Cold idle

Hot idle

Something to consider - if you are measuring significantly higher oil pressure with thicker oil, it might just mean oil flow in the system is more restricted and less oil is reaching components at the top of the engine. If your oil pressure is within range, even at the low end, I wouldn't advise going higher than the recommended oil viscosity for a given temperature range, which are calculated to ensure free flow in the system throughout the wear life of the mating parts. That said, I'm not familiar with the nuances of LRs. Back in the day with our GMs it was pretty well known that if we had any measurable oil pressure we were good. And indeed, if too low oil pressure is allowing metal to metal contact between wear surfaces you will hear it.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@AE5TE

The Discovery II basically has an old 60's Buick engine, and you are right for the most part the low pressure light comes on at 6 psi. But over the years it has been found that heavier oil works better with gear style pump these use, particularly as the engine ages. So as they get hot and at low rpms in many cases you just barely are making 10 psi, having said that I have never had an low oil pressure light and I suspect lifter and camshaft rather than bottom end.

Most of the engine re-builders for these recommend 20/50, but lots of Disco guys run 15/40 diesel for the cleaning. Like everything in an engine design this old this find the right fluids is a pain, and oil has become a of a voodoo thing.

I was not happy with the sludge build up when I did my head gaskets hence the VR1 10/30. I would prefer to go a good 15/40 or 10/40 synthetic as my cold pressure is excellent, and that would work as a year round oil here in the lower part of BC.

To be honest if I had a garage to work in I would pull the engine this fall and replace the cam shaft ,lifters, push rods and bottom end bearings. And you only have to pull the engine because you can not get the rear camshaft bearing out with the engine in place. it was hard enough doing the head gaskets in January under a tarp.

Something to consider - if you are measuring significantly higher oil pressure with thicker oil, it might just mean oil flow in the system is more restricted and less oil is reaching components at the top of the engine. If your oil pressure is within range, even at the low end, I wouldn't advise going higher than the recommended oil viscosity for a given temperature range, which are calculated to ensure free flow in the system throughout the wear life of the mating parts. That said, I'm not familiar with the nuances of LRs. Back in the day with our GMs it was pretty well known that if we had any measurable oil pressure we were good. And indeed, if too low oil pressure is allowing metal to metal contact between wear surfaces you will hear it.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Sound like a solid setup!
Forgive me I was referring to my own rig and not needing more lights ; ) there is an elk herd along the stretch of hwy I commute to an from work. I've seen several accidents involving people hitting them and I could only imagine what a moose would do :frowning:
Yes, I got what you were saying. I have hit a moose. It was a calf and it did 18k worth of damage to my rig. Moose kill alot of people on the highways here since, 1. They don't slow down in the night, and 2. They don't use axuilary lighting. It should be mandatory here. I went for a quick scoot last night, I'm very impressed with the new bulbs. About 90 percent of what my truck lites did in my last jk. For 59 bucks. I'm happy. Adding the same lights to our patriot now.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Not so much what I did today, but what I will be doing this weekend. I ordered it right around Black Friday and finally showed up yesterday.
View attachment 156234
I have a winch to go with it, but nothing cool about a cardboard box. lol
Enjoy that install!

Reactions: Broke and 510Steve