Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Today, "The Beast" & I picked up 15,000 pieces of foam strips that will be used by a small group of volunteers to make medical grade protective face shields for local hospitals, nursing homes and home health care workers who have none, or are running critically short.
View attachment 146864View attachment 146863
Looks like they tried to attack!

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

Last week I put together a DIY 10lb Powertank with ARB hose and digital inflator and got it filled with CO2 (20psi to 35psi in 28 seconds on a 33"tire! ), also installed a BTECH 50x1 GMRS and collapsible NMO antenna, also added two 3- gallon Rotopax to the trailer. So now I can carry 12 gallons extra in total. With a full tank and 12 extra gallons I firmly believe I can go at least...42 miles before needing to fill up. Anyways, that's it for the projects, we were supposed to leave for a 10 day swing through Alabama Hills, Death Valley, and Mojave Road...I guess I'll just pick goobers instead.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Last week I put together a DIY 10lb Powertank with ARB hose and digital inflator and got it filled with CO2 (20psi to 35psi in 28 seconds on a 33"tire! ), also installed a BTECH 50x1 GMRS and collapsible NMO antenna, also added two 3- gallon Rotopax to the trailer. So now I can carry 12 gallons extra in total. With a full tank and 12 extra gallons I firmly believe I can go at least...42 miles before needing to fill up. Anyways, that's it for the projects, we were supposed to leave for a 10 day swing through Alabama Hills, Death Valley, and Mojave Road...I guess I'll just pick goobers instead.
Nice mods!

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Wish I could go trailing there
The Land of Enchantment rocks. Just need to be careful playing around/near the range complex (especially when red flags are flying). An old conventional target to check out with practice bombs in the bullseye...SHACK 1...good shootin’ Steve Canyon! I’ve won quite a few quarters back in my day on the ranges to the north.
A556B91C-2720-484F-88B8-F08E24724173.jpeg
Cool trail along the southern edge of the Culp Canyon Wilderness Study Area (just don’t be here during a downpour):
44D0B75B-B330-4F41-81D4-A1E2D0BE4EC5.jpeg
The terrain can be hostile if not prepared and I wouldn’t mess around with this tree:
B0B5BA9E-5BBB-4371-916A-5E39841EE0FA.jpeg
One of the trails up to Timberon was just barely perceptible tracks that the local cowboys/ranch hands obviously have not used recently. It was fun until it turned into an off camber ridge crawl. After scouting ahead hoping to find a shelf road, it continued as is...nuts. The Jeep could do the trail but my fingers were getting their exercise by crushing the steering wheel. Out solo, no comms, and a long way down, time to back up and turn around.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Since I added the ditch lights I have since had to find another solution for my stock antenna as well as CB antenna that was on both sides of the hood. I already bought and installed the shorty antenna for the radio. Today I installed a ditch light extension, then added my CB antenna to it. In this position and when the hood is fully extended the antenna does not touch any part of the vehicle, which is great.

As far as highway stability I still have to take a drive when this whole shelter in is done. I'm a little concerned that I might catch branches on the trail or mall so we'll have to see. Reception will has to be adjusted. Will need an open space to re-test SWR tuning.

View attachment 146559

View attachment 146560

If this solution does not work I do have a hood channel CB mount standing by. It does require drilling though. Not a fan of that lol.
This should work, especially with the spring attached. Fire Stick antenna's are very hardy antenna's.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

Well... considering that I’m on a Corona-cation.... I decided that instead of spending $1k+ on some “overland rack” I'd make my own for $100.... I wanted low center of gravity and lots of options.... unistrut seemed like a good choice... we shall see how it holds up. This set up is about 550lbs lighter than the previous skyscraper that we had.

Attachments

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

WJ is running again. Replacement radiator is all good. Left the front plastic off, still waiting for my behind the grill cube lights to show up. Amazon is a week late.
Fired it up, bleed the coolant system, and adjusted the electric fan controller all with success. With the probe moved to the hot side the controller works like a champ.

But...... the new electric fan assembly has so much vibration you hear a low drum inside the vehicle and can feel it from the seat. Can't risk it shaking my radiator to pieces. So out it will come and I will replace it with the high mile junkyard MOPAR electric fan I have in reserve.

So that makes 2 water pumps, 2 radiators, 2 fan controllers, and 2 electric fan assemblies to get acceptable parts to finish this project.

P_20200330_185555.jpg P_20200330_192655.jpg

Edit: on a WJ, spray the bottom few inches of the radiator black, and it will hide with the AC condenser when you put the plastic bumper back on. No aluminum bar visible side to side through the lower airflow slats.

P_20200330_192705.jpg

Edit: Checked Amazon again, they pushed the KC LEDs out until the 21st. Thanks for the notice guys. Cancelled Amazon and ordered direct from KC. I should have the lights Fri or Sat so I can keep going on this project. The 4x4 Fabworks brackets are already here.

Last edited: