Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Chucked the new long-block in yesterday. Hopefully getting it mostly back together today.

Obviously you hear the air sucking through the IAC ports on the TB... but trust me in person it was a beautiful sound. No check engine light after we remembered to plug the stock fan control solenoid back in and cleared that code (longer story about e-fan swap and the entire story in my saga: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Build) and it was nice and smooth, good oil pressure, obviously some initial smoke like any fresh engine at start-up but then nice and clean. We weren't able to work on it until about 6 PM tonight because myself and my buddy whose house we're working on it at had family stuff all day. That fire up was something like 1am. Fingers-crossed, tomorrow we can do the winch install and mostly juts assembly... I hope.

-TJ

Ry+EmAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchendon, MA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Laraba
Member #

Started the day by adding a dif guard I had lying around the barn, then added Em's birthday present flag insert. Fired up the ol power hacksaw and cut up some steel to repurpose this old steel bumper I had in the barn. Tire carrier coming next. Pretty productive day I would say!
Adventure on!

Attachments

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

This is awesome. I want to add some storage over the wheel wells in my 4 Runner as well. I sleep in back with my dog so I don't need the drawers.
Thanks, we have decided to sleep in ours as well to make random weekend trips to farther places easier. Pulling/setting up camper is time consuming. That’s what started my drawers/storage/bed platform in motion. I left the bottoms of those side boxes open so I can use all the space I have there. May change that later, but thought I would try it first to see how it goes. Now I just have to get a mattress ordered

DallasTRDPro

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas
Thanks, we have decided to sleep in ours as well to make random weekend trips to farther places easier. Pulling/setting up camper is time consuming. That’s what started my drawers/storage/bed platform in motion. I left the bottoms of those side boxes open so I can use all the space I have there. May change that later, but thought I would try it first to see how it goes. Now I just have to get a mattress ordered
Yeah I have the sliding deck so my floor is flat and I have more headroom. Xprite makes a mattress for the 4R, but I'm sure there are thicker mattresses that can be made to work. Without your drawers do you think the side storage is still a doable project??

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Yeah I have the sliding deck so my floor is flat and I have more headroom. Xprite makes a mattress for the 4R, but I'm sure there are thicker mattresses that can be made to work. Without your drawers do you think the side storage is still a doable project??
Yeah it would be. I used 1/2 inch plywood. I think it’s called sand ply or something. The smoothest finish Home Depot has in stock. You would just have to run the sides of them all the way to the floor and find a way to attach them. Mine are only attached to the drawers with L brackets, then just leaning up against the outside walls of the 4R. So you may have to find a way to attach out there for stability as well. But, I’m sure it can be done with the right hardware.

Ruben Z

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
Why did you get rid of the JL??
I dont like to blanket statement all Jeeps. But mine drove like shit honestly. I spent hundreds if not thousands on Steering Upgrades that never really completely fixed my wandering steering. There just was too much dead spot in the steering box. My Instrument Cluster completely died at 16k miles. Then my ESS 2nd batter would not get charged.

I just didn’t like the “Jeep Life” of wind blowing it all over the road, horrible wind noise in the cab. I live in an area where multiple days of 15-20mph winds are normal and it just was awful driving it more than 60mph for 40 min during my commute.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Munga Brown

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I dont like to blanket statement all Jeeps. But mine drove like shit honestly. I spent hundreds if not thousands on Steering Upgrades that never really completefliy fixed my wondering steering. There just was too much dead spot in the steering box. My Instrument Cluster completely died at 16k miles. Then my ESS 2nd batter would not get charged.

I just didn’t like the “Jeep Life” of wind blowing it all over the road, horrible wind noise in the cab. I live in an area where multiple days of 15-20mph windows are normal and it just was awful driving it more than 60mph for 40 min during my commute.
Before buying my current truck, I had my '08 Frontier in the shop having some work done and I borrowed a friend's 2 door Sahara. He took it to the dunes here in Florence all the time. I ended up taking it to the shop to see if it was safe to drive! They told me "oh, yeah. That's normal for these things". What a monumental POS it was! Horrible driving experience. Everything you described. I had envisioned taking the thing out & doing some fun stuff in it, and could barely stand driving it the 1 3/4 mile to work & back. It also had poor cabin visibility for my taste. So noisy I couldn't hear myself think, let alone music, and the sloppiest steering I've ever experienced in a vehicle. I, too, live in a windy environment, and that made it even worse.

Too bad, too. I was set on a 4 door Rubicon.

I'm so glad I went with another Frontier.

Reactions: M Rose and Ruben Z

DallasTRDPro

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas
I dont like to blanket statement all Jeeps. But mine drove like shit honestly. I spent hundreds if not thousands on Steering Upgrades that never really completefliy fixed my wondering steering. There just was too much dead spot in the steering box. My Instrument Cluster completely died at 16k miles. Then my ESS 2nd batter would not get charged.

I just didn’t like the “Jeep Life” of wind blowing it all over the road, horrible wind noise in the cab. I live in an area where multiple days of 15-20mph windows are normal and it just was awful driving it more than 60mph for 40 min during my commute.
I just traded my 2018 JK Rubicon after my first experience with death wobble. I have been in Jeeps for 15 years. Death wobble was the final nail. I love my TRD Pro 4 Runner. A lot of the things you mentioned are entirely true. I spent over $12K on all my Jeeps just to get close to what I thought it should drive like. The 4 Runner blows away the Jeep on the road which is 99% of my life. I don't miss the Jeep one bit when I'm driving my 4 Runner.

Reactions: Ruben Z

DallasTRDPro

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas
Those steps look great. I dont mind those trd pro racks. but the new ones do look much better.
I didn’t really mind the Pro rack, but I wanted to add some LFD crossbars that will be much more functional and easier to mount stuff. The other downside to those Pro racks is they are really close to not fitting in a garage. If I were to ever lift the TRD Pro it would never fit in a standard garage.

Reactions: CWu21

CWu21

Rank IV
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
A
Member #

I didn’t really mind the Pro rack, but I wanted to add some LFD crossbars that will be much more functional and easier to mount stuff. The other downside to those Pro racks is they are really close to not fitting in a garage. If I were to ever lift the TRD Pro it would never fit in a standard garage.
Yeah that would be a problem.

Reactions: Magic Mike