Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Today I pushed my normal rig to the side (I know I know, such a horrible thing to do) and focused on my other car. A 1974 VW Bug. I had taken the engine out and then put it back in. After taking it out it wouldn't crank over. Found out that I had the choke on without trying to turn it over. ‍♂ Replaced a good number of parts and fixed the light issues and now I'm ready to get tags! This will be the first time it's been road worthy in 5+ years. Fingers crossed! IMG_20190407_155035.jpegIMG_20190404_085355~2.jpeg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

After mounting a 3rd Maxsa traction board to my rack I noticed I was getting a lot of flex from the thin steel side bar they were mounted to. I noticed this before with full RotoPax mounted on the other side. I had my farmer friend weld on a couple of strips of steel to the top of the side bars to stiffen them up. If I were to do it over again I would have had him weld straight across instead of in spots for aesthetics but whatever, it was free. :)

I had to grind off the rust and shoot the new sections as well as some areas that had large scratches on the rest of the rack. Some self etching primer and then a few coats of bedliner spray did the trick.

It's not perfect but for an $80 work in progress I am happy. It's sturdy as hell.

I chose not to do a bottom bar because it really wasn't needed for strength and it would just collect mud.

While I was at it I decided to clean up my trusty shovel! Some grinding, rust converter paint and red farm implement paint and she's as good as new!

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

C1D76C65-93FD-46A1-A27C-C943DA285390.jpeg56E60343-8B50-4574-9609-AA700E678CD3.jpeg
Got the jobox in for some figment testing with the cooler. Chopping the feet off the box and mounting it to the seat brackets later this week, had to test out the table with the grill at home, tow strap is hooked up to a dog leash if people were wondering

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

After mounting a 3rd Maxsa traction board to my rack I noticed I was getting a lot of flex from the thin steel side bar they were mounted to. I noticed this before with full RotoPax mounted on the other side. I had my farmer friend weld on a couple of strips of steel to the top of the side bars to stiffen them up. If I were to do it over again I would have had him weld straight across instead of in spots for aesthetics but whatever, it was free. :)

I had to grind off the rust and shoot the new sections as well as some areas that had large scratches on the rest of the rack. Some self etching primer and then a few coats of bedliner spray did the trick.

It's not perfect but for an $80 work in progress I am happy. It's sturdy as hell.

I chose not to do a bottom bar because it really wasn't needed for strength and it would just collect mud.

While I was at it I decided to clean up my trusty shovel! Some grinding, rust converter paint and red farm implement paint and she's as good as new!

Love what you did with the shovel!

Reactions: JCWages

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

Dude, some solid work! Looks great!

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign