What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

We moved to NW Arkansas in December and I’ve been busy taking care of some of the issues on the property. One that I’d been putting off was a 60’ black walnut tree at the end of the drive that was dead or dying. A larger black walnut next to it had come down a few years prior and took out the fence and gate to the neighbors pasture. I wanted to make sure this one came down when and where I wanted so used my winch cable to keep tension on the tree so it fell where I planned.

5C393140-E01E-4EC4-A44E-196448D49A0B.jpeg

After wrapping a chain around a large branch and attaching the winch cable, I cut a notch and started the back cut. I reeled in some tension on the cable and cut a little deeper on the back cut. On the third attempt reeling in the tension I heard the trunk start to crack and the tree came down.

1890C716-EAFD-4F34-BF7E-5B7AB0CAA0B9.jpeg

1B8306AE-D738-424C-BBE7-4711D34109C3.jpeg

Pretty much came down exactly where I wanted.

6E830829-80B9-4FE3-8C7B-E50DEB885ACB.jpeg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Thank you America's Tire / Discount Tire. When I had the brand new DV8 877 wheels installed on my truck, the mounting arm protector broke and scratched all 4 wheels before the tech realized it. The scratches are not terrible but they are there. The salesman was up front about it and didn't try to hide the error. He took a bunch of pictures and said he'll talk to the manager and figure out how best to fix the problem. I politely said "mistakes happen and I'll await your call". I didn't act angry or nasty in any way. I left with a smile knowing they would take care of me. Later, I got a call from the salesman and they were going to order 4 brand new wheels for me. No hassle, just a straight up "we made a mistake and we're going to make it right". They don't even carry this brand of wheel so it's not as easy as just ordering from their distributor. That's real customer service ya'll and that's why they continue to get my business and my referrals. I declined the new wheels. It's an off-road truck after all. Instead they'll take care of me on my next set of tires. That saves both of us time and money. I really appreciate good service.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Thank you America's Tire / Discount Tire. When I had the brand new DV8 877 wheels installed on my truck, the mounting arm protector broke and scratched all 4 wheels before the tech realized it. The scratches are not terrible but they are there. The salesman was up front about it and didn't try to hide the error. He took a bunch of pictures and said he'll talk to the manager and figure out how best to fix the problem. I politely said "mistakes happen and I'll await your call". I didn't act angry or nasty in any way. I left with a smile knowing they would take care of me. Later, I got a call from the salesman and they were going to order 4 brand new wheels for me. No hassle, just a straight up "we made a mistake and we're going to make it right". They don't even carry this brand of wheel so it's not as easy as just ordering from their distributor. That's real customer service ya'll and that's why they continue to get my business and my referrals. I declined the new wheels. It's an off-road truck after all. Instead they'll take care of me on my next set of tires. That saves both of us time and money. I really appreciate good service.
That's a great story! Thanks for posting!

Reactions: JCWages

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

We moved to NW Arkansas in December and I’ve been busy taking care of some of the issues on the property. One that I’d been putting off was a 60’ black walnut tree at the end of the drive that was dead or dying. A larger black walnut next to it had come down a few years prior and took out the fence and gate to the neighbors pasture. I wanted to make sure this one came down when and where I wanted so used my winch cable to keep tension on the tree so it fell where I planned.

View attachment 87394

After wrapping a chain around a large branch and attaching the winch cable, I cut a notch and started the back cut. I reeled in some tension on the cable and cut a little deeper on the back cut. On the third attempt reeling in the tension I heard the trunk start to crack and the tree came down.

View attachment 87395

View attachment 87396

Pretty much came down exactly where I wanted.

View attachment 87397

I did save a few sections of trunk with the intention of doing something with it. Walnut really is a beautiful wood. This will probably end up being the top on a small side table.

FA45C931-E008-4356-A96A-29F78B32F59C.jpeg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

We moved to NW Arkansas in December and I’ve been busy taking care of some of the issues on the property. One that I’d been putting off was a 60’ black walnut tree at the end of the drive that was dead or dying...
You've got firewood for the next two years now, by the looks of it!

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

Cool! That's the way Ido it. No offroad bumpers available for my Safari van that's for sure. Just find something close and adapt it.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

OMG.. i just found this for sale in the UK for 29.5K GBP
and its only allowed to be sold outside of europe.

2012 Land Rover Defender 130 RMA Workshop, 2 door, 2 seater, left hand drive (LHD), fitted 2.2 litre Puma 122hp turbo diesel engine, 6 speed gearbox with high + low transfer box with centre diff lock, heavy duty 3500kg chassis (3.5 ton) gross vehicle weight (GVW), heavy duty suspension, twin coil rear springs, front + rear anti-roll bars + ventilated disc brakes.
Unique and Superb specification as follows:
Sand exterior black front wheel arches, 2 front seats, lowline cubby box, air conditioning, electric front windows, central locking, remote alarm, black rubber flooring and transmission tunnel, seat covers, RMA rear body with side lockers + roller shutter rear door (all lockable), electric start Yanmar diesel engine, 4kva 230V/50HZ generator and poweld EW200DC welder, unielectric 1.5kw electric compressor and storage tank, heavy duty rear bumper fitted removable rear gantry, rear vice, portable hi-lift jack, ARB touring fold out awning, interior locker + stowage area/work area lights, cab mounted light bar + flashing light, snorkel, heavy duty front bumper, checquer plate wingtops, twin 20 litre jerry cans + spare wheel (rear of cab), KPH speedo, EU2 emissions, only used for demonstration purposes, ideal for site/rally/expedetion/safari/mobile workshop etc etc.

View attachment 86902 View attachment 86902 View attachment 86903 View attachment 86904 View attachment 86905 View attachment 86906 View attachment 86907 View attachment 86908 View attachment 86909 View attachment 86910 View attachment 86911 View attachment 86912 View attachment 86913 View attachment 86914 View attachment 86915 View attachment 86916 View attachment 86917 View attachment 86918 View attachment 86919 View attachment 86920 View attachment 86921
That rear mounted vise will come in handy for an impromptu trail repair!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

After all my recent off-road adventures my brake squeak is back. I removed the rear driver side brake pads and greased them up with a thicker grease than I've used previously. This stuff is supposed to be good from -50F to 6,000F so it better hold up! LOL

I have a feeling the rear driver side is the main noisemaker so I left the passenger side alone for now. I also torqued the leaf spring U-bolts. They had loosened up some.

The first few times I used Sta-Lube Brake and Caliper Grease. It lasts for a few months then wears through and squeaking comes back.