Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I attended a staff retreat in Soda Springs this week and with the impending storm I decided to carpool with a coworker in my truck just in case we didn't get out of the mountains before the big snowfall hit. I'm glad I drove because it altered my route and as such I took Hwy20 up to i80 and happened across a grey fox on the side of the road who appeared to be alive, barely, and was obviously freezing. The rest of that story is pretty neat. If you're interested you can read about it here:

https://yubanet.com/regional/injured-fox-found-on-hwy-20-is-recovering-thanks-to-the-kindness-of-passersby-and-gold-country-wildlife-rescue/

Once in Soda Springs I didn't get a chance to drive much but the snow was pretty amazing and it made me wish I could sneak away for some snow wheeling....

This was on Thursday before the storm.... It's supposed to really start snowing again mid-day today and go on for all of next week.

On the drive back today

I made it back in time to find my CBI ditch light brackets had arrived so I proceeded to install the brackets and my new Nilight 60w 4" LED pods (spot/flood combo). I purchased the Nilight wire harness and 5pt switch but the harness isn't quite long enough when stretched between the 2 pods to allow me to tuck the wire harness under the cowl to hide and protect it so I will need to buy some wire to extend the harness. For now it is ziptied to the AC lines that run next to the cowl. I also couldn't mount the switch on the left side of the dash (near the 4wd dial or right of the trailer brake) because there are structural supports for the dash behind those panels. Now I see why everyone is sticking their switches in the center console area of the dash. :( So I had to zip tie that to the bottom of the dash until I can find a better spot that is easy for me to access. *sigh*

They work pretty well but it looks like I need to aim the beams a bit higher. The spot portion of the light hits the ground in front of the truck and is much too close. The spot almost looks blue compared to my HID low beams and is rather annoying. I'll try aiming them tomorrow night and see if that helps. They really light up the sides of the road MUCH better than my foglights do so for my intended purpose they work great. Eventually I'll replace them with a higher end brand but for $30 I'm pleased for now.

Low beam only (Morimoto 35w 5000k HID)

Low beam and LED (yellow JDM Astar 3200lm) fog light bulbs

Low beam, fogs and Nilight 60w 4" LED pods flood/spot combo

In the photo above you can see the pod's spot beam below the utility pole on the pavement. They are obviously aimed much too low

KDC

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lawton, OK
Member #

I attended a staff retreat in Soda Springs this week and with the impending storm I decided to carpool with a coworker in my truck just in case we didn't get out of the mountains before the big snowfall hit. I'm glad I drove because it altered my route and as such I took Hwy20 up to i80 and happened across a grey fox on the side of the road who appeared to be alive, barely, and was obviously freezing. The rest of that story is pretty neat. If you're interested you can read about it here:

https://yubanet.com/regional/injured-fox-found-on-hwy-20-is-recovering-thanks-to-the-kindness-of-passersby-and-gold-country-wildlife-rescue/

Once in Soda Springs I didn't get a chance to drive much but the snow was pretty amazing and it made me wish I could sneak away for some snow wheeling....

This was on Thursday before the storm.... It's supposed to really start snowing again mid-day today and go on for all of next week.

On the drive back today

I made it back in time to find my CBI ditch light brackets had arrived so I proceeded to install the brackets and my new Nilight 60w 4" LED pods (spot/flood combo). I purchased the Nilight wire harness and 5pt switch but the harness isn't quite long enough when stretched between the 2 pods to allow me to tuck the wire harness under the cowl to hide and protect it so I will need to buy some wire to extend the harness. For now it is ziptied to the AC lines that run next to the cowl. I also couldn't mount the switch on the left side of the dash (near the 4wd dial or right of the trailer brake) because there are structural supports for the dash behind those panels. Now I see why everyone is sticking their switches in the center console area of the dash. :( So I had to zip tie that to the bottom of the dash until I can find a better spot that is easy for me to access. *sigh*

They work pretty well but it looks like I need to aim the beams a bit higher. The spot portion of the light hits the ground in front of the truck and is much too close. The spot almost looks blue compared to my HID low beams and is rather annoying. I'll try aiming them tomorrow night and see if that helps. They really light up the sides of the road MUCH better than my foglights do so for my intended purpose they work great. Eventually I'll replace them with a higher end brand but for $30 I'm pleased for now.

Low beam only (Morimoto 35w 5000k HID)

Low beam and LED (yellow JDM Astar 3200lm) fog light bulbs

Low beam, fogs and Nilight 60w 4" LED pods flood/spot combo

In the photo above you can see the pod's spot beam below the utility pole on the pavement. They are obviously aimed much too low
Wow. Sounds like you had quite a bit of adventure. I like the lights you installed they look great.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Wow. Sounds like you had quite a bit of adventure. I like the lights you installed they look great.
Thanks! They'll work great as rear lights as well if I replace them with Stedi or Black Oak lights in the future. They're a good value at $30. A lot of people really like the 18w 4" pods which are now $13 on Amazon.

Reactions: KDC

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Not really today but over the past 5 weeks everyday spending time with the cruiser

Installed new vehicle wire harness to fix his previous aging one

Updated his fuel flow with a Holley Sniper EFI kit

Added some new gauges to look more classic cruiser.

Still need finish some clean up ,find a new bolt for air cleaner assembly , fabricate new dash area cover where radio is. All in all runs good .

IMG_9694.JPGIMG_9691.JPG57049612793__DA7A05C7-E767-48DA-BA18-D1B6AD41DE59.JPGIMG_9629.JPGIMG_9692.JPGIMG_9693.JPG

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Went snow wheeling yesterday as the storm rolled in and decided to send it through a big puddle. Made it but stopped too soon after to let my buddy who was taking the bypass get around me. I got stuck and then get got stuck in the bypass. 9hrs later and the rescue squad got us out safely as a flippin blizzard kicked in. Got home just after 2am. I'll do a full trip report this week.

Sent....

Then the rescue squad started getting stuck

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Not really today but over the past 5 weeks everyday spending time with the cruiser

Installed new vehicle wire harness to fix his previous aging one

Updated his fuel flow with a Holley Sniper EFI kit

Added some new gauges to look more classic cruiser.

Still need finish some clean up ,find a new bolt for air cleaner assembly , fabricate new dash area cover where radio is. All in all runs good .

[]
Looks great! Nice and clean.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Went snow wheeling yesterday as the storm rolled in and decided to send it through a big puddle. Made it but stopped too soon after to let my buddy who was taking the bypass get around me. I got stuck and then get got stuck in the bypass. 9hrs later and the rescue squad got us out safely as a flippin blizzard kicked in. Got home just after 2am. I'll do a full trip report this week.

Sent....

Wish I was there with ya, but glad you didn’t shoot me a line. LOL

VonTrapp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Von Trapp
Member #

Sent....

Looks like Instagram only gets the life-saving-nutritional advice!

Glad to see you made it out at a decent time. I woke up to the power out, saw you made it out, and busted out my Little Buddy! ✌

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Took my skid plate off in preparation for the oil change in the shop tomorrow. I just didn't want to risk the mechanic losing any of the hardware or charging me the shop time to take it off.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Wish I was there with ya, but glad you didn’t shoot me a line. LOL
Count yourself lucky. lol

This was one of those super spur of the moment trips. Trevor called me while I was shopping at Target and asked if I wanted to go but I'd have to be ready and meet him at the "trail" in 45min. Otherwise I'd have dropped you a line.

Reactions: Magic Mike