Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Got new shoes installed. Cooper ST MAXX's in 255/80/17. And barely stuffed my spare back into the stock location. I see a rear bumper or hitch mounted tire carrier in this rig's future.

Rides GREAT. Need to do the chalk test to dial in the tire pressure, and need to get the alignment checked, because it's been slightly pulling to the right since the post-lift alignment. I'll get all that done in the next couple of weeks though.

IMG_2261.jpg

Mike P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Got new shoes installed. Cooper ST MAXX's in 255/80/17. And barely stuffed my spare back into the stock location. I see a rear bumper or hitch mounted tire carrier in this rig's future.

Rides GREAT. Need to do the chalk test to dial in the tire pressure, and need to get the alignment checked, because it's been slightly pulling to the right since the post-lift alignment. I'll get all that done in the next couple of weeks though.

View attachment 71467
I spent about 3min looking for the spare lol
Looks good!

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Looks good, love the rack all loaded up. Perfect illustration of what I was trying to explain to a friend last week, he was asking why I recommended he should go with a cheaper alternative to maxtrax based on stacking height since he has a RTT already. Makes little difference in that scenario so long as the rest of the gear is the same/shorter than the RTT.

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Looks good, love the rack all loaded up. Perfect illustration of what I was trying to explain to a friend last week, he was asking why I recommended he should go with a cheaper alternative to maxtrax based on stacking height since he has a RTT already. Makes little difference in that scenario so long as the rest of the gear is the same/shorter than the RTT.
thanks! I'm happy with it. Agreed on the traction boards. FWIW, I honestly can't afford a set of 4 maxtrax, but that aside, there's no point in worrying about height of gear on my rack as long as the RTT is up there.

Our longer-term plan is to get the RTT off the rack completely, and onto a trailer. Then the rack would be limited to plano boxes, solar panel, and some misc small flat items. Lower COG, less wind resistance, and would probably reduce the annoyance of DD'ing this thing, while increasing my mileage. At that point, I could see caring about height of traction boards, but until then, I just embrace driving a brick, ON TOP of a larger brick haha.

Interestingly enough, this setup gets very little wind noise. I think its because its so solid, it just catches all the wind, and very little whistles THROUGH it. It acts more like a parachute than a whistle.

Reactions: Boort

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Mounted my shovel and axe. Very secure, but not very easy to access. Gonna have to figure something else out. Also sanded and repainted my winch.
What about rubber hose such as fuel line to slide over each of the bolts (trimmed to the appropriate length) with wingnuts used to secure the upper bolts?

Reactions: Dunnage Garage

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Woot! Woot! So fresh and so clean!!! I got to tackling the @genesisoffroad dual battery kit this past weekend and got to a certain point cause we also got the Khabib and McGregor fight and that shit was insane!!!! [emoji15][emoji23][emoji23]. Woke up the next morning to keep working on the install and here’s the finished result. I have to say it makes it a lot easier to add accessories and looks a lot cleaner in the engine bay!!!! Now onto the next project! Fridge, Slide, and Renogy 100 watt solar power kit to make sure I’m good out on the trails, camping, and not worrying about the batteries getting drained.

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

IMG_20181010_122123387_HDR.jpg
Installed this bad boy and hooked it up to my CB. Now I have PA functionality! It's only an 8 watt speaker, but the way my CB works, the volume knob actually adjusts the PA output as well, so when I crank the volume, it's plenty loud.

What am I going to use it for you ask? I....really don't know. But it's cool, dang it :P

Seth Vernon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Vernon
Member #

Added some better lighting for camping or just load out or repairs on my Xterras rear cargo hatch. These are 24” led strip lights wired up to the factory rear cargo light panel. So they offer the same functionality and also turn on and off when I open\shut the hatch etc. easy install. All wires are soldered and covered in heat shrink.

IMG_3853.JPG
IMG_3859.JPG

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The Icon 2.0 rears showed up today and it didn't take long to get them on.

I had planned on measuring droop before and after but my jackstands are not tall enough to let the axle droop much with the wheels on and I'm too exhausted to remove and reinstall them (wheels). What I did find is the OEM shocks are near maxed out with the truck sitting on the ground. No wonder the ride was rough whenever the rear wheels wanted to drop. Note, I have 1" Silverado lift blocks and AutoSpring AALs so I have around 2" of lift in the rear.

OEM vs. Icon 2.0 shock length comparison. The Icons are designed for 0"-2" of lift. Most other shocks for this truck are only 0"-1".

Installed

After I buttoned things up and took it for a test drive I fully expected the ride to be harsh after reading all the posts from anti-Icon folks but the shocks felt great. The ride felt more solid and damped in the rear. Small bumps could still be felt but they were more muted, less sharp and the axle didn't feel like it was ready to explode upwards when the rear tire dropped off bumps. This was a very short test drive so I'm not sure if all of this will remain true but for now I am impressed and happy with the purchase.