Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

View attachment 67318

Even with only one coat on the front dry, it looks way better than the original silverish finish. I didn't go crazy with the buffing or sanding, because this is a very old vehicle that's going to spend a lot of time off road, but if I really took the time, dismounted the tire and had a few sanding tools, I could probably make the wheels look amazing. Quite impressed with this paint, actually. I plan to do 3 coats front and back total on each wheel, which I think should lend quite a bit of protection and corrosion resistance. I'll post again when the first wheel is completely done.

Everything you said about your wheels is how I feel about mine. Not spending the money to do aftermarket wheels, but my wheels don't look amazing. I'm figuring a spray job will be just fine and look a little better. I like your use of the hammered rustoleum paint too. I might go with the same one.

Have you had any issues with orange peel? Are you doing dusted coats, or thicker ones? I've had some major issues with rustoleum laying down evenly, specifically on car parts, in the past.

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Took off the rear bumper today, getting ready to sleeve the rear frame rails so I can remove the stock tow hitch and add in my old hide a hitch at the same depth but in between the rails raising it up almost 7 inches for more rear clearance this way I’m not dragging the swing out tire carrier. Once that’s done will start building my new rear bumper from 3/16 plate IMG_7614.JPGIMG_7611.JPGIMG_7612.JPGIMG_7615.JPGIMG_7616.JPG

BobFJ55

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

That's impressive. Never heard of front bumper extensions. Is that your invention?
The warn bumper that was included in the winch I bought off Craigslist had chrome extensions that were curved so the Jerry cans would not fit. I purchased a couple of Western Walnut 1” x 5 1/2” x 22” boards at a local wood supply place and cut and drilled them to fit the rig.
IMG_2195.JPG
Here is a pic with the chrome bumpers which I will replace with the wood version when heading for the desert.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Mounted my Jerry cans on front bumper extensions (western walnut) to the warn bumper. View attachment 67441
Love the look! I'm just not sure if I'd want my spare gas cans loaded up in front like that. Front end collisions are more likely than a rear-ender which could prove to be quite explosive. If you're running water in those cans, no problem! I do love the look and creativity!!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
The warn bumper that was included in the winch I bought off Craigslist had chrome extensions that were curved so the Jerry cans would not fit. I purchased a couple of Western Walnut 1” x 5 1/2” x 22” boards at a local wood supply place and cut and drilled them to fit the rig.
View attachment 67467
Here is a pic with the chrome bumpers which I will replace with the wood version when heading for the desert.
Got it. Nice modification. Creative too.

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

True North

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, California
Member #

Is truck vault the brand name? Those look sweet! Any idea what they weigh?
Yup, TruckVault.com. They are pricey. I would have never considered them but I got them for cheaper than a set of ARB drawers.

Regarding weight, when I built it out on their website, it said 161lbs, but before I bought them I weighed them on a bathroom scale and they came in at 97lbs. Big discrepancy from the website and what I weighed it in as, but actually lifting it, it felt relatively light. No hit to mpg that I've noticed so far.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@True North
Regarding weight, when I built it out on their website, it said 161lbs, but before I bought them I weighed them on a bathroom scale and they came in at 97lbs. Big discrepancy from the website ...
Difference was likely shipping weight. I got a quote from them before I built mine and IIRC they quoted shipping weight rather than installed weight. Was that 97lbs per drawer or for the full system, with flaps etc...?

Boort