Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Quiet day today fitting a permanent recovery point.
The 4motion transporter recovery point is behind a panel in the bumper that needs to be removed and a towing eye aligned and fitted.
Not something you want to be doing when bogged etc so ours is fitted permanently to save time and assist recovery in the event we need it

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Cleaned up the inside of our high top van (sporty) so our niece can use it when she comes to visit this month.

Finished the primer work on Vinnie the van (our RB ujoint 4x4) & also prepped the top for paint as well.

Changed the oil in Rocky the Jeep. Plus did some cutting on the off road trailer as I’ll be add some length to it.

It was a good full day. Plus the weather was amazing.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahn and roots66

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Installed new 'classic style tow mirrors. My 2003 had the OEM accordion style, which even with NOT adjusting very often, had shimmy (loose) and adjustment motor burnout on at least 3 occasions. I got tired of repair, as it seemed a stop-gap situation, with a bad end-game. Installed aftermarket 2005-2006 style tow mirrors (GM/Ford-partially motorized style), which while not OEM, was much much cheaper than the newer OEM brand offering. While not perfect, they will do. Also did the serpentine belt replacement at 98,000, and yes that was about 20,000 miles late. Had used belt dressing for years, so that probably helped keep wear to a minimum. It was heat vs mileage (18 year old truck 98.000 miles) that was the deciding factor. I also have to start thinking about new brake pads, as I still have the original's installed. GM really did a good job on their 3/4 and 1 ton braking components, as over the years many have commented on the longevity (classic body style) for these trucks. I do not have any pulsing in the pedal (warp-age).

OLD STYLE........mirrors/ NEW STYLE.
Update: While not perfect, they will do. $140 a pair vs $500+ apiece OEM They are a better design, as Ford in 2003 and since, has used a similar design. Manuel extension vs motorized on the OEM, but I rarely will need that feature, and it will not take that long to adjust when towing is needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Completed clean up on the 2A's front axle. Waiting on parts now. While cleaning I found these nice F Script bolts on the front carrier. Oh I forgot I found the front diff full of grease. I've probably cleaned a a few pounds of grease out of this front axle so far. I just finished up tonight. There were no inner seals so I'm curious if the previous owners filled the diff with grease to quiet it down or if grease migrated into the diff over time. Even the tubes were so full the axle shafts were "tunneling" though them.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Completed clean up on the 2A's front axle. Waiting on parts now. While cleaning I found these nice F Script bolts on the front carrier. Oh I forgot I found the front diff full of grease. I've probably cleaned a a few pounds of grease out of this front axle so far. I just finished up tonight. There were no inner seals so I'm curious if the previous owners filled the diff with grease to quiet it down or if grease migrated into the diff over time. Even the tubes were so full the axle shafts were "tunneling" though them.

Looking at it could it not be emulsified oil due to water getting into the diff through the breather when wading?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Looking at it could it not be emulsified oil due to water getting into the diff through the breather when wading?
Possibly. The breathers are mounted right on the diff covers on these axles. But there were no inner axle shaft seals either when I took it apart. It took me a whole day and 2 gallons of diesel to get all the grease/thick oil out of the diff, axle tubes and knuckles.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Got the front axle finished as far as paint/prep and now waiting for parts to come in. Got the rear axle torn down and prepped for primer/paint plus ordered parts for it. And moved the frame outside in preperation for stripping it, busting rust, welding a few cracks and cutting out and welding in the new battery tray.

Oh and more Script Fs found.

Crappy image quality but that's the frame sitting on cinder blocks lol.

TheGibsons

Rank II

Contributor III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gibson
Member #

Took mine out for a shakedown. Cold here (31F low at night) so just for one day/night to get used to it. Made a good list of what I need to remember to bring and read through my manuals. So excited to get overlanding!

BPK6

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Vermont
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Kennedy
Gun Range last Friday..
PXL_20211105_151925141.jpeg

Blizzak DM-V2 Snow Tires in Bed with OEM 18" Wheels for install in AM on Wed...last shot of the year w/ this setup

PXL_20211110_121856020.jpeg

Easy and cheap (free) way to mount MaxTrax to Bedslide. Takes up almost no space at all, easy to grab, no cost, out of the way, like a glove between bedrails. Vehicle is DD, wanted to have them in the vehicle but not interfere with anything.

PXL_20211112_211656129.jpeg

Fun Stuff...will have to wait for next week. May try to clean and re-oil air intake filter tomorrow.

PXL_20211112_211740306.jpeg

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
For my 2005 Sequoia:
Bought new wheels and KO2's, got a 3" lift and new UCA in the mail from 1stGen, also been tracking down a steering wheel wobble at 55-70mph, had entire front end checked and double checked by dealer, all good to go, only item that might be cause is rack and pinion, which sucks but I am changing it, normally I would just sell the darn thing, but I truly love this thing, big yes but I can carry a ton of stuff (as compared to my jeep), and nice comfort while doing so, added benefit is I can sleep inside of it!

Jim