Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Installed some RokBlokz mud flaps this weekend and started with the ham radio install in the new truck. Got original size RokBlokz and there was nothing difficult about the install, it was pretty tedious though. Really hoping the mud flaps will keep dirt/rocks off of the side of the truck.
Space under drivers' side rear seat is now "electronics land"; radio is mounted just waiting on some cables, etc., to arrive.

IMG_5285.jpegIMG_5283.jpegIMG_5282.jpeg

Reactions: RoarinRow and Shamu

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
My pup has a problem standing on the back seats of my truck so I took the weekend to design and build a removable platform that sits on the back seat. It was a pretty easy build and maybe cost $75. It has collapsible legs and a 1/8" rubber mat that prevents the dog sling mat thing from sliding about. He loves it as it raises him up about an inch or two and he has close to double the usable space. He used to slip off the seat and fall between them which I'd have to stop, finish giggling, help him back up and get back on the road. It'll make a great platform for anything I want to keep in the cab when he isn't with me and takes less than 5 minutes to remove.
i did the same thing for my 70 lb Lab in the back of the wifes Camry. i only did half of the backseat. it gave him more room to lay down and sprawl out and my daughter didnt have a dog laying all over her during road trips.

theoriginalgiga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Chaney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WFI
My pup has a problem standing on the back seats of my truck so I took the weekend to design and build a removable platform that sits on the back seat. It was a pretty easy build and maybe cost $75. It has collapsible legs and a 1/8" rubber mat that prevents the dog sling mat thing from sliding about. He loves it as it raises him up about an inch or two and he has close to double the usable space. He used to slip off the seat and fall between them which I'd have to stop, finish giggling, help him back up and get back on the road. It'll make a great platform for anything I want to keep in the cab when he isn't with me and takes less than 5 minutes to remove.
This is a great idea, I should look into making something like this up for my rig. My staffy is getting too old to hop in and out of the back now and so kind off platform would help her out immensely.
To help your staffy out, you could even build a stowable ramp that sits under the platform or somewhere else if you didn't want to swing the dog up.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
And the beginning of "electronics land" under the driver's side rear seat. Kenwood TM-D700/MARS with a Ras Pi to handle GPS and other tasks. Topsy fender antenna mount (NMO) arrives today and antenna cable tomorrow; will run power and antenna together (for shame, for shame, we shall see how it goes). Need to clean up that silver cable blob (hey, it works!) and will add some power distribution and iridium modem as well. Waiting on some relocation cables to get the mic and display to a useable location :)

Took out the bolt holder box for a lil extra room. Not planning on removing/replacing top or door bolts on the trail so it was wasted space.

3FDF403A-948E-416D-B378-A27B1420391C_1_105_c.jpeg

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

And the beginning of "electronics land" under the driver's side rear seat. Kenwood TM-D700/MARS with a Ras Pi to handle GPS and other tasks. Topsy fender antenna mount (NMO) arrives today and antenna cable tomorrow; will run power and antenna together (for shame, for shame, we shall see how it goes). Need to clean up that silver cable blob (hey, it works!) and will add some power distribution and iridium modem as well. Waiting on some relocation cables to get the mic and display to a useable location :)

Took out the bolt holder box for a lil extra room. Not planning on removing/replacing top or door bolts on the trail so it was wasted space.

View attachment 172562
looks good, I been trying to figure where mount my IC-7000 where water will not get to it but it's. hidden. little tuff in a jku

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
looks good, I been trying to figure where mount my IC-7000 where water will not get to it but it's. hidden. little tuff in a jku
That radio lived under the driver's seat of my JKU until recently. I'm hoping that the radio does not get wet in its new home - I'll have bigger problems if it does :)

Perhaps something like this?

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

That radio lived under the driver's seat of my JKU until recently. I'm hoping that the radio does not get wet in its new home - I'll have bigger problems if it does :)
I used to wheel up there when I lived on WI, there was the OHV park over by Marysville when I had my CJ-7 just sucked driving it up to Baker on I-5 no way was ever going to get up to 70mph 55 was top and even that felt sketchy sometimes. I miss Washington. I am rebuilding my rig to set it up for the Southwest now vs keeping set up for Ice and Snow. I like to mount it under the passenger seat but I have flooded out my floor anytime, door and top don't always stay on. When my dad passed I kept his radios there a lot nicer than anything I need but I rather use them than sitting on the shelf.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

View attachment 172562
Looks real clean budy. Can’t wait to see it all put together

Reactions: Ubiety

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It seems that the electronics in some cases could be mounted on the back of a seat. Under a seat sounds like a bad spot to me because of river crossings and such.
I've wondered about some of the SUV built in kitchens I've seen too. How do people avoid mildew and mold in your carpet ?

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Perhaps something like this?
Thank you for the link yeah I was thinking about ng something like that. But would remove the radio every night if it was out in the open.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

It seems that the electronics in some cases could be mounted on the back of a seat. Under a seat sounds like a bad spot to me because of river crossings and such.
I've wondered about some of the SUV built in kitchens I've seen too. How do people avoid mildew and mold in your carpet ?
Yeah that my concern I remove my carpet few times a year because I did something to flood out the inside. The 7000 is such a big radio but I want to use it because it's nice and was my dad's.

MarcoM

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, USA
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Maga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
TBD
Returned back to SF after a 3 week 2600 mile trip to Sun Valley Idaho area, Jackson Wyoming and Park City Utah.
I dont think that there is a more beautiful place than the Grand Teton, Yellowstone area.
And yes the California, Oregon and Washington smoke followed me.
Did not do alot of 'overlanding' persay cus I did have to work during some of that time and needed Wi-Fi but man what a much needed escape even just to go on day hikes and mountain biking.

Attachments

Finding Away

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Anthem, Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Nadine
Last Name
Shaalan
Member #

Returned back to SF after a 3 week 2600 mile trip to Sun Valley Idaho area, Jackson Wyoming and Park City Utah.
I dont think that there is a more beautiful place than the Grand Teton, Yellowstone area.
Did not do alot of 'overlanding' persay cus I did have to work during some of that time and needed Wi-Fi but man what a much needed escape even just to go on day hikes and mountain biking.
Stunning photos!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks for sharing. Be nice to know where you were when you took the pic's if you ever have time.

MarcoM

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, USA
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Maga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
TBD
Thanks for sharing. Be nice to know where you were when you took the pic's if you ever have time.
Hey @Lanlubber -
I could have predicted that someone was going to ask :grimacing:.
As accurately as I can remmember. Mostly because AllTrails will not register a completed trail unless you reach a very specific coordinate, so even you have reached the end of the trail unless one gets to this one spot it will not register the trail as 'completed' and so will not keep it in the history.

184609, 153638, 163159- these were taken on lookouts on HWY 26/89/191 between Moran and Jackson Wyoming- Albright View Overlook, Blacktail Ponds Overlook, Schwabacher Landing.
175415- was taken in Twin Falls Idaho- The I. B. Perrine Bridge
160247- This was a heard of Bison grazing off Antelope Flats road in Gros Ventre by Morman Row.
141329- I don't remember exactly which trail to get to this lake- I would need to look at my GPS, but it was off HWY 22 near Jackson Wyoming
142439- Lake Lackawaxen, off Blood Lake trail HWY 224 near Park City Utah- was bout about an 8 mile out and back
2487- taken somewhere off Wilson/Moose Rd (HWY 390)
145616- Ketchum Idaho- scenic overlook trial off Sun Valley ski resort.