Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Tried working on the Bronco today... stupid bolt that ruined my good looks is still giving me problems... I can’t keep a pair of vice grips on the bolt head, and I found out that I missed the flange head of the bolt as well... so even if I could get the head to break I’m still SOL... I’m about to find my good hacksaw and see about hacking the bolt off... I was trying to leave enough bolt to grab with a pair of vice grips or something after the transmission came out... but now looks like I’m going to have to tap and drill the hole.
I posted my problem to the guys over on the Full Sized Bronco forums. And it was suggested that I pull my AC system out as a whole unit so I can then remove the grill and radiator support... so I know what I’m doing tomorrow... tearing more stuff off... man I should just tow this carcas over to the body shop now and have them pull the noddy off the frame for a complete frame off...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I posted my problem to the guys over on the Full Sized Bronco forums. And it was suggested that I pull my AC system out as a whole unit so I can then remove the grill and radiator support... so I know what I’m doing tomorrow... tearing more stuff off... man I should just tow this carcas over to the body shop now and have them pull the noddy off the frame for a complete frame off...
Your scaring me now ! I can see a lift with new mounts to be installed but more than that is overkill for an off road rig IMO. PRETTY DOSENT GET IT DONE. I'd stay with strictly mechanical and suspension for durability and dependability if it were mine. Just my opinion Mike, you have yours and it's your rig and money. Unless you have rotted floors, or cracked and broken frame, I just wouldn't do a body off unless your willing to invest many more thousands of dollars into it. It's hard to stop once you get started.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Your scaring me now ! I can see a lift with new mounts to be installed but more than that is overkill for an off road rig IMO. PRETTY DOSENT GET IT DONE. I'd stay with strictly mechanical and suspension for durability and dependability if it were mine. Just my opinion Mike, you have yours and it's your rig and money. Unless you have rotted floors, or cracked and broken frame, I just wouldn't do a body off unless your willing to invest many more thousands of dollars into it. It's hard to stop once you get started.
Actually Jim, this has always been a Resto-Mod candidate. The only redeeming feature of this Bronco is its body and frame... no rust, one small dent... that’s it... the electrical is junk, the mechanical stuff is garbage as well. If it weren’t for the body, and the release of the new Bronco I would have scrapped it... a parts truck is now worth $4-5000 (no I didn’t add an extra 0).
The Bronco is 31 years old now. I am at the point where either I sink 20k into this Bronco and have it last me the rest of my life, or I go buy a brand new Bronco to last me the rest of my life. After doing a lot of research on what Ford finally released, I realized a new Bronco compromises a couple of things I’m not willing to sacrifice... Cargo Room is about the same as a JL Wrangler. There isn’t enough room to drop a V-8 into it, too much computer controlled goodies.
I was scared to pull the body off the frame, but seeing several frame offs, I’m not so scared now. It’s 8 bolts to separate the body from the frame. Since the wiring harnesses are falling a part where ever I touch them, removing them is a matter of touching the plastic mounts, seats are already out for the transmission swap, dash is also halfway out at this point in time as well. Interior trim panels are off from my head liner upgrade; so all in all, I’m 3/4 of the way there to do a frame off. Not to mention all my bushing are shot.

I agree it’s hard to stop when started..

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Actually Jim, this has always been a Resto-Mod candidate. The only redeeming feature of this Bronco is its body and frame... no rust, one small dent... that’s it... the electrical is junk, the mechanical stuff is garbage as well. If it weren’t for the body, and the release of the new Bronco I would have scrapped it... a parts truck is now worth $4-5000 (no I didn’t add an extra 0).
The Bronco is 31 years old now. I am at the point where either I sink 20k into this Bronco and have it last me the rest of my life, or I go buy a brand new Bronco to last me the rest of my life. After doing a lot of research on what Ford finally released, I realized a new Bronco compromises a couple of things I’m not willing to sacrifice... Cargo Room is about the same as a JL Wrangler. There isn’t enough room to drop a V-8 into it, too much computer controlled goodies.
I was scared to pull the body off the frame, but seeing several frame offs, I’m not so scared now. It’s 8 bolts to separate the body from the frame. Since the wiring harnesses are falling a part where ever I touch them, removing them is a matter of touching the plastic mounts, seats are already out for the transmission swap, dash is also halfway out at this point in time as well. Interior trim panels are off from my head liner upgrade; so all in all, I’m 3/4 of the way there to do a frame off. Not to mention all my bushing are shot.

I agree it’s hard to stop when started..
When it's a labor of love then its worth the effort. I can't think of another vehicle I'd rather see redone than a Bronco of any year. I once brought back to life a 67 to live again. I sold it to buy my wife a new 85 thunderbird that she deserved to own. As I told you before I almost bought an 80's model Bronco in excellent condition for rebuilding before I bought my LRD2. I didn't because I knew I wasn't capable of rebuilding it on my own anymore. My LRD2 was a compromise I made in order to get on with my adventure before I die. Your much younger than I with lots of willpower and determination. If you've got the money I say go for it my friend. It may be your last chance for a dream to be had.

I've followed the other Bronco build in the forums and I envy the hell out of that total rebuild by this masterful OB member that's doing it. I know you are following him too. He started with a pile of junk that came from the east coast rust belt. I can hardly believe that an amateur mechanic has been so knowledgeable successful and thorough on his project. My hats off to both of you.
Lanlubber Jim

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Shiny new parts on a dirty vehicle. New Heavy load springs all around, the bump stops should get a break.
View attachment 171792View attachment 171793
Thanks for giving the old girl a new lift.
Keep her on the road. Too many are bring left to rot from lack of care. If I had the space I would buy up every LRD I could find for recycling parts to keep all the LRD lovers in parts. They will never make them again in such a classic form.

Reactions: ryancarman

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When it's a labor of love then its worth the effort. I can't think of another vehicle I'd rather see redone than a Bronco of any year. I once brought back to life a 67 to live again. I sold it to buy my wife a new 85 thunderbird that she deserved to own. As I told you before I almost bought an 80's model Bronco in excellent condition for rebuilding before I bought my LRD2. I didn't because I knew I wasn't capable of rebuilding it on my own anymore. My LRD2 was a compromise I made in order to get on with my adventure before I die. Your much younger than I with lots of willpower and determination. If you've got the money I say go for it my friend. It may be your last chance for a dream to be had.

I've followed the other Bronco build in the forums and I envy the hell out of that total rebuild by this masterful OB member that's doing it. I know you are following him too. He started with a pile of junk that came from the east coast rust belt. I can hardly believe that an amateur mechanic has been so knowledgeable successful and thorough on his project. My hats off to both of you.
Lanlubber Jim
Yes I have been fallowing @Dakota Houligans Bronco Build, it’s the inspiration for mine. I love his dash build, and I have learned a lot from him. I was really impressed with his plastic welding skills and am thinking of trying my hand at it to modify my dash next spring.
As for the frame off... it’s going to happen... but probably after I rebuild the 302 that I’m currently pulling out. I’ll get the engine rebuilt over the winter and put it in storage for next fall. When I pull the engine again, I’ll go ahead and pull the transmission to rebuild and will hopefully have my 203/205 doubler built and ready to install. While everything is out again, I’ll prep the body for paint (worked as a body tech journeyman for several years in my youth, and miss doing body work). Then I’ll send it off to the paint shop to have them separate the body from the frame so I can take the frame to the sand blaster and paint it.
This is my dream at least.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Finished my Aux battery install, I used the CTEK 250SA DC to DC charger which feeds my 100 AH battery. This feeds the 3000 Watt inverter, a Switch bank for aux components, and a 12V and USB charge points located on the control panel. I still need to improve the control panel as I feel the plastic was to thin for my needs. I added the battery blue tooth sensor with app but I will prob remove it as my battery went down over 20% since it was installed . I will see how it works when I add the solar panel to the CTEK later in the week.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Finished my Aux battery install, I used the CTEK 250SA DC to DC charger which feeds my 100 AH battery. This feeds the 3000 Watt inverter, a Switch bank for aux components, and a 12V and USB charge points located on the control panel. I still need to improve the control panel as I feel the plastic was to thin for my needs. I added the battery blue tooth sensor with app but I will prob remove it as my battery went down over 20% since it was installed . I will see how it works when I add the solar panel to the CTEK later in the week.
Awesome, that's a lot of power!