Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Zargon I'll be curious as to how noisy that chicken coop decking is compared to without. Especially at highway speeds. I mounted the Prinsu rack this week, and I've considered those for decking material.

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

@Zargon I'll be curious as to how noisy that chicken coop decking is compared to without. Especially at highway speeds. I mounted the Prinsu rack this week, and I've considered those for decking material.
The SD rack is a very noisy roof rack normally (howling at anything past 60mph), but laying down the flooring has made it nearly silent! Due to it being petty well cinched down and it's rubber/plastic material it doesn't rattle at all either. The material flexes more then I was expecting while standing in-between supports but still feels very solid.

Overall I'd definitely recommend it as flooring. Lightweight, reasonably cheap, easy to cut and install, and quiets the rack down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

The material flexes more then I was expecting while standing in-between supports but still feels very solid.
Good information, thanks! In this photo, you can sorta see where the cross bars are located from the reflection under the side rails. There's 8" gap between each bar. I'd imagine that would provide plenty of support.

IMG_3377-X3.jpg

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Good information, thanks! In this photo, you can sorta see where the cross bars are located from the reflection under the side rails. There's 8" gap between each bar. I'd imagine that would provide plenty of support.

View attachment 22025
That would definitely be plenty of support. The SD rack has very large gap between the rails (roughly 10" X 24"gaps) so the flooring is having to do some extra work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Steve

EODCoduto

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Muscle Shoals, AL, USA
First Name
Gage
Last Name
Coduto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KQ4HNV
Service Branch
USMC
I have started a very mild build on my '85 K20 diesel Suburban, when I bought a few months back the transmission was bad so I sourced a TH400 to replace the 7oor4. The rear seal was leaking and I just pulled the engine so that I can replace all of the gaskets in one shot. This thing has more oil leaks than any vehicle I have ever owned! It took 2 hours with a Sioux steam pressure washer to clean the engine bay and front end, and another 30 minutes on the engine. How do you get oil behind the headlights?! I tore into the engine and previous owner was in it at some point, and they must have owned stock in gray RTV, look at the picture and see how much restriction the silicone caused in the water pump passageways. Hopefully I will have this thing back together and on the road by the end of the month, I will be too busy to work on it again until July if I don't finish it by May 8th. Enjoy the greasy pictures.

IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1617.JPG

Reactions: Veggie Man

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I have started a very mild build on my '85 K20 diesel Suburban, when I bought a few months back the transmission was bad so I sourced a TH400 to replace the 7oor4. The rear seal was leaking and I just pulled the engine so that I can replace all of the gaskets in one shot. This thing has more oil leaks than any vehicle I have ever owned! It took 2 hours with a Sioux steam pressure washer to clean the engine bay and front end, and another 30 minutes on the engine. How do you get oil behind the headlights?! I tore into the engine and previous owner was in it at some point, and they must have owned stock in gray RTV, look at the picture and see how much restriction the silicone caused in the water pump passageways. Hopefully I will have this thing back together and on the road by the end of the month, I will be too busy to work on it again until July if I don't finish it by May 8th. Enjoy the greasy pictures.

View attachment 22028 View attachment 22029
Damn dude! I was a diesel mechanic in the army and I haven't ever seen one that bad.

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche

EODCoduto

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Muscle Shoals, AL, USA
First Name
Gage
Last Name
Coduto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KQ4HNV
Service Branch
USMC
Yea I don't get the use of silicone for most parts, they came from the factory without t so why add more? The only place I use it is at the corners of the oil pan gasket where it meets the rear main and timing cover, and only a little bit. People must not realize that it squishes out.

Reactions: Kelly

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I use gasket shellac or Permatex "Form-a-seal" instead of RTV for most parts. If I do use RTV, I generally apply a very small bead then smooth it out with my finger before install so it's a super thin film of it on there. No RTV on anything fuel or transmission related at all.

Reactions: Kelly

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Corey