What defines a overland rig?

• HTML tutorial

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

So I just got off work. I start walking to my rig and I see a guy walk over to me. He asks me what I use my rig for. So I say I usually go on long trips, Camping and exploring trails. And he says oh so its not a off road rig? And I said its very capable of off roading and mudding but its mostly to travel and explore with my family. And he said oh so your a mudder. At this point i said sure ok and drove off. On my way home I started thinking about that. What makes a rig a overland rig vs everything else out there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Merlo
B

BPD53

So I just got off work. I start walking to my rig and I see a guy walk over to me. He asks me what I use my rig for. So I say I usually go on long trips, Camping and exploring trails. And he says oh so its not a off road rig? And I said its very capable of off roading and mudding but its mostly to travel and explore with my family. And he said oh so your a mudder. At this point i said sure ok and drove off. On my way home I started thinking about that. What makes a rig a overland rig vs everything else out there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Overland Bound Talk mobile app
Nothing is different. You can "overland" out of just about anything. I think the term overlanding is getting watered down lately anyway. I say we are camping!

Reactions: Lipek

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I've had many people ask me that question, I just say, "How you use it."

Motorcycle, bicycle, family wagon, SUV, truck, or off road camper - it's what you do with it that matters. I've seen guys with tens of thousands sunk into vehicles that never go farther than the golf course. I've also met guys on the trail with old Subarus and VWs with little more than a case of water and a Wal-Mart tent.

None of that makes much sense to someone who doesn't already "get it", so I describe it in terms of endurance. "This vehicle is built to go out for up to a week in remote back country terrain without any resupply of fuel, food, or water."