Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I'm presently running without comms so I need to do something so CB radio is where I think I'll start. So, what type are using and would recommend I consider purchasing. I"ve looked at some of the forum discussions but most I saw ended up discussing GMRS or ham and I"m not ready to get into that yet. Thanks for your insights in advance.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I have a Uniden 980SSB CB. Big but it works. Plus I like the different light options, weather, scan etc.

View attachment 134651
Is that a tablet sticking up just above your dash? If so what brand and how do you have it mounted? I meant to comment about you also driving a 2500 Silverado 4x4 albeit a bit newer than mine.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have been running a cheapo Cobra 19DX IV for years, but I changed the mic to a Wilson. has been working for me when I need it but I never need a hug amount of range. Tuning can help any radio but i honestly never have.

Reactions: Big G and RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Is that a tablet sticking up just above your dash? If so what brand and how do you have it mounted? I meant to comment about you also driving a 2500 Silverado 4x4 albeit a bit newer than mine.
That stereo is actually a single DIN flip up screen made by Pioneer and has Apple Car Play to match my iPhone. The screen retracts and the face plate is removable.

For our older rigs only single DINs fit without modifying the dash.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
You likely saw this commentary in other threads...
What are you expectations for your CB Radio?

How much range do you think you will actually get?

Do you participate with a group that requires a CB or at least a CB and also uses either GMRS or Ham?

My answers:
CB Range is horrible. Pretty useless except with small groups. So many people have bad configurations with either a bad radio or antenna that you can't hear some people 500 ft away

If you are in a group that also offers the more robust means of communication spend your money once and get a better setup

I am to the point where I am going to gut my CB and just hand folks either a handheld ham radio to monitor communications with or some type of handheld GMRS radio. I just get so sick and tired of CB issues. Half the time I think my setup is the issue but it is usually the other person.

I have a Uniden 880

A good CB setup is around $125-$150. I would recommend the Big Wilson Antenna. Tall, mag mount, and has worked the best out of any I have heard or tried. The cute little 3' Firestick on the back of your rig isn't going to do a darn thing. My cute little 4 foot Firestick isn't much better but since I rarely use CB it works for me.

A good 2m Ham Radio setup is around $200 and way more useful. There are lots of good intro radios for around $150 and the antennas aren't that expensive.

GMRS I am no expert but I believe there are some good radios for around $100.

Food for thought...

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
You likely saw this commentary in other threads...
What are you expectations for your CB Radio?

How much range do you think you will actually get?

Do you participate with a group that requires a CB or at least a CB and also uses either GMRS or Ham?

My answers:
CB Range is horrible. Pretty useless except with small groups. So many people have bad configurations with either a bad radio or antenna that you can't hear some people 500 ft away

If you are in a group that also offers the more robust means of communication spend your money once and get a better setup

I am to the point where I am going to gut my CB and just hand folks either a handheld ham radio to monitor communications with or some type of handheld GMRS radio. I just get so sick and tired of CB issues. Half the time I think my setup is the issue but it is usually the other person.

I have a Uniden 880

A good CB setup is around $125-$150. I would recommend the Big Wilson Antenna. Tall, mag mount, and has worked the best out of any I have heard or tried. The cute little 3' Firestick on the back of your rig isn't going to do a darn thing. My cute little 4 foot Firestick isn't much better but since I rarely use CB it works for me.

A good 2m Ham Radio setup is around $200 and way more useful. There are lots of good intro radios for around $150 and the antennas aren't that expensive.

GMRS I am no expert but I believe there are some good radios for around $100.

Food for thought...
I appreciate your input and your suggestions. I have had a CB in the past and I know the distance issue is a concern for sure. Just trying to figure out what to do to actually have comms in my vehicle. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1Louder

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have a Midway 75-822 portable and mag mount antenna. I do not want a permanent mount in the cab. I run with different groups, some use CB, others HAM and GMRS. A $60 BaoFeng BF-F8HP well cover the GMRS,FRS and HAM. Get a better antenna and it has pretty good range.

Reactions: Big G

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

IMG_0662.JPG

I run a remote mount CB(Uniden CMX760)and GMRS(midland MXT275), allowing me to have them if I need them without taking up space in the cockpit day to day. This allows me to use the limited cockpit/dash space for my tablet and my ham or work radio. When I leave town my work radio gets removed from the dash and stowed(won’t really work properly outside our county), and out comes either the CB or the GRMS dependent on where/who I’m traveling with.

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Any CB with a remote mounted control head or built into the mic. That way when you do upgrade to Ham or GMRS or both you will have some dashboard real-estate to work with.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have several CBs, A Uniden 520 Pro, a Cobra 29 LTD Classic, and a Cobra 25 Classic. The Uniden is probably my favorite due to its compact size. the Cobra 25 I haven’t installed yet, But it is the one I am going to be putting in my Bronco. It is more of a mid size radio. The Cobra 29 is a beast of a radio. Probably the number one CB used by truckers. It’s a full size radio, so finding realistate is the hardest out of all three, so it went into my tt as a base station.
For antennas, I have several to choose from. I have An old fiberglass Firestick, an even older no name stainless short whip, and I am looking for a 102 whip.
My Bronco Is kind of a resto-mod project, trying to keep the Classic late 80’s early 90’s look to it, while upgrading the interior to a more modern design. Once the weather turns for the better, I will be starting a build thread for ”The Mean Green Adventure Machine“.

Last edited:

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Not sure I understand your comment “not ready to get into that yet.” About GMRS. Get a Midland Micro Mobile and its plug and play. Sure you have to get a license that’s $7.00 per year but other than that it plug in the coax cable on the magnetic antenna that it comes with, plug in 12v cigarette lighter plug and talk. Simple.

If the people you go out with all have CB’s than get a CB. But if not why get a CB? Between CB and no coms, I’ll take no coms. I use GMRS and an InReach.

Todd

Reactions: 1Louder

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Not sure I understand your comment “not ready to get into that yet.” About GMRS. Get a Midland Micro Mobile and its plug and play. Sure you have to get a license that’s $7.00 per year but other than that it plug in the coax cable on the magnetic antenna that it comes with, plug in 12v cigarette lighter plug and talk. Simple.

If the people you go out with all have CB’s than get a CB. But if not why get a CB? Between CB and no coms, I’ll take no coms. I use GMRS and an InReach.

Todd
This is going to sound dumb, but I grew up with CB radios and home base CBs that transmitted a good 30 km ( 18-19 miles). I know that mobile units in vehicles can't get that range but I really never looked into anything else because I wasn't looking into getting a license for it, mainly because I have nobody to talk to. It does seem like i can legally run a GMRS without a license in Canada but I know absolutely nothing about them ( I literally just googled it). So here's the dumb question... What are they?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This is going to sound dumb, but I grew up with CB radios and home base CBs that transmitted a good 30 km ( 18-19 miles). I know that mobile units in vehicles can't get that range but I really never looked into anything else because I wasn't looking into getting a license for it, mainly because I have nobody to talk to. It does seem like i can legally run a GMRS without a license in Canada but I know absolutely nothing about them ( I literally just googled it). So here's the dumb question... What are they?
A CB Radio has a max output of watts, which equals about 15 miles on a good day in a mobile rig. GRMS operates up to 50 watts of power (if you can find a radio to handle that much, most are between 25 and 50 watts) with a range of up to 40 miles without a repeater. CB is AM frequencies while GRMS is FM and UHF. So basically GRMS has more power, and has repeater capabilities, while CB is lower power and can’t use repeaters.

Last edited:

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I have a Midway 75-822 portable and mag mount antenna. I do not want a permanent mount in the cab. I run with different groups, some use CB, others HAM and GMRS. A $60 BaoFeng BF-F8HP well cover the GMRS,FRS and HAM. Get a better antenna and it has pretty good range.
Thank you for your input, much appreciated.