What Camp Saw Do You Use? (Non-powered hand saws)

• HTML tutorial

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have yet to see a need for a saw just yet, but I do have a couple options to toss in my rig if needed. Just a simple folding saw or a smaller bow saw. I have a full-size axe mounted to my liftgate and it always stays there. One thing I've learned from my extensive experience with being outdoors and camping is that an good axe is a must. It serves many uses.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I have a collapsible saw that I use as well. Couldn't tell you about other types but mine is essentially a folding hacksaw that has multiple blade types. Believe the name was what-a-saw. Found in my grandfather's shed when clearing out their house when he moved. Not the best but has been handy when needed. I like having the option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Dave Decker

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
For camping I use a saw and a hatchet. The saw is used to buck down a log into pieces that fit in the fire pit, and the hatchet is used to split wood for kindling. In my experience a good saw cuts faster than an axe and wastes less material.

I have a Sven saw, but don't really like it. The issue is that the handle is not padded and is at a strange angle, and due to the shape of the frame it doesn't work well on thicker logs. I also have a Samurai pruning saw (similar to the Silky) which I prefer over the Sven saw.
https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Ichiban-Pruning-Scabbard-GC-330-LH

For the hatchet I have a Husqvarna which I have refinished and sharpened.
https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-576926301-13-Wooden-Hatchet

spartancrating1

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

US
Member #

Hello! I've seen at least three threads on here about axes, but none about saws. Maybe I missed it? At any rate, does anybody prefer a saw over an axe, if so, why and what do you use? I'm considering a folding saw to compliment the little Fiskers axe I carry and I'm looking for suggestions.
Zippo axesaw is what I have. Axe with a saw built into the handle

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Zdorf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
Zuehlsdorf
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Silky saws for the win!!! Get the Katana Boy 500 or the Big Boy. Katana will do the same work a small 12 inch electric chainsaw could do. No handsaw will beat a good sharp gas powered chainsaw.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

By far the best and most durable saw I have ever owned or used....
Agawa Canyon - BOREAL21 Backwoods Kit

Reactions: Boort