Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Bought a new pair of walking boots today SCARPA bought the same brand all my life usualy get abought 3/4 years out of a pair have summer light weights gortex and winter boots Gortex lined
Got me to thinking good pair of boots have to be driven in although hate driving in me winter boots , oh and have Rw williams aussys for light duty

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Merrell Moab high top shoes. I wore steel toe Red Wing Pecos boots for years but I've decided I like the lighter weight of the shoes on the trail. I've got both the ventilated and water proof ones but I think I like the ventilated better. I usually have a spare pair of shoes with me if they get wet and my feet seem to feel better after a day wearing the ventilated ones.

I have some insulated boots I don't remember the name of for winter but I don't do much outside in the winter except what needs to be done.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Merrell Moab high top shoes. I wore steel toe Red Wing Pecos boots for years but I've decided I like the lighter weight of the shoes on the trail. I've got both the ventilated and water proof ones but I think I like the ventilated better. I usually have a spare pair of shoes with me if they get wet and my feet seem to feel better after a day wearing the ventilated ones.

I have some insulated boots I don't remember the name of for winter but I don't do much outside in the winter except what needs to be done.
I had redwings while working in africa left them behind great boots but can not get them in uk unless you work offshore

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Winter in deep snow,: Sorel Sentry boots that I've had at least 25 years. They don't make the steel toe Security any more, but the closest current are the 1964 T Wool boot; 10" boots with the felt liner.

Every day of the year when not in the Sorels: Salomon X Ultra LTR GTX GoretTex, breathable, lightweight, cushioning, just wonderful!

40 years ago I wore 5 pound backpacking boots, then 25 years ago I found Vasque Sundowner GTX soft leather, Gore-Tex, lightweight. But I left them muddy and outside, and they were ruined. New ones were hard leather, heavier, and cheaply made. I'd kill for some old-style Sundowners.

Then I went to Merrill Chameleon Gore-Tex boots. Lightweight, comfy, cooler than the Vasque, but not as much support, and the sole wore quickly and got slippery on wet riocks. Two years ago, the guy at REI Seattle convinced me to try on the Salomon after I was going to get Merrill Moab's (the successor to the Chameleon.) Half a dozen steps later, I was sold. The most comfortable hiking boots I've ever worn in 40+ years of seriously caring about my boots.

xcoburn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cold Lake, Alberta
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
Right now, Arc'teryx boots. Goretex, one piece boots.
They're pretty good. Stiff though. vibram soles are nice.

One eyelet pulled out of the boot, so I called em up and returned it. Got sent a new pair because it wasn't repairable.
Warranty is great through them.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Winter in deep snow,: Sorel Sentry boots that I've had at least 25 years. They don't make the steel toe Security any more, but the closest current are the 1964 T Wool boot; 10" boots with the felt liner.

Every day of the year when not in the Sorels: Salomon X Ultra LTR GTX GoretTex, breathable, lightweight, cushioning, just wonderful!

40 years ago I wore 5 pound backpacking boots, then 25 years ago I found Vasque Sundowner GTX soft leather, Gore-Tex, lightweight. But I left them muddy and outside, and they were ruined. New ones were hard leather, heavier, and cheaply made. I'd kill for some old-style Sundowners.

Then I went to Merrill Chameleon Gore-Tex boots. Lightweight, comfy, cooler than the Vasque, but not as much support, and the sole wore quickly and got slippery on wet riocks. Two years ago, the guy at REI Seattle convinced me to try on the Salomon after I was going to get Merrill Moab's (the successor to the Chameleon.) Half a dozen steps later, I was sold. The most comfortable hiking boots I've ever worn in 40+ years of seriously caring about my boots.
I also have a well made pair of Sundowners that I picked up in the mid-90s. Have considered having them re-soled. I've had difficulty finding good boots for narrow, high-arched feet. Been trying out the Merrel Moab ventilators but same figment issue. Will look into the Salomons. Cheers, Walt

Reactions: Steve

Brian Gilman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Mystic, CT
Member #

I wear Salewa and Zamberland. The Salewas are definitely better for driving, being pretty flexible, like sneakers. The Zamberlands are built like tanks and still made in Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I wear Salewa and Zamberland. The Salewas are definitely better for driving, being pretty flexible, like sneakers. The Zamberlands are built like tanks and still made in Italy.

Made in italy was always the draw to me scarpa Still make some there but more and more are made in eastern europe

Reactions: Brian Gilman

clmautz

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Auburn, AL, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Mautz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BLI

Plus - if they get wet, the ventilators, they'll dry overnight. I've seen some vortex boots that stayed wet for days once submerged...

Plus plus - Nena Barlow approved - Barlow Jeep Rentals and 4wd School in Sedona/Moab.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
In summer I roll with the Keen sandals, love them and fits all my requirements!
I have sandals as well but I've done quite bit of damage to toes hiking and working in them. I try to reserve them for hanging out in the yard. Forgot I was in then one time in the garage until a big glob of slag dropped between my toes...

FreelandRyan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

I have sandals as well but I've done quite bit of damage to toes hiking and working in them. I try to reserve them for hanging out in the yard. Forgot I was in then one time in the garage until a big glob of slag dropped between my toes...
Def wont catch me welding in those bad boys...! Hiking in the summer and wondering creeks, while getting in and out of the Jeep! YES!

Best protection I've had for my toes compared to regular sandals!

Reactions: TerryD and clmautz

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I love my Salomon Quest GTX boots. I wish I bought 3 more pairs to store away. Here is the newer version of what i have.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/quest-4d-2-gtx.html?article=373259

For work I'm using 5.11 skyweight boots. Not exactly thrilled with them. They do the job but I need to find something better. A lot of the uniform boots have become very poor quality.

I dream to one day buy a pair of Nicks custom boots out of Washington. Some day.......

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Most of my Overlanding involves mountains as i like to also head off by foot for a day or two. Zamberland are my favorites they do take some breaking in though