What boots do members wear

• HTML tutorial

Craftman2

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Member #

Danners. Have a pair for my uniform and love them.

Also have a pair of Light II's for outdoor pursuits. But I'd recommend going to a place where you can try on different styles. Regular Lights and Mountain Lights just didn't fit right - they seemed too wide and I don't even have very narrow feet. But Light II's were just the ticket. Plus side is they're made her in 'Murica and can also be resoled, so with a little maintenance they'll last forever.

Reactions: DrRobert

DrRobert

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bristow, VA
Member #

I use a trail running sneaker: either the La Sportiva Wildcat or the Solomon XA Pro 3D. Both are light, have a support shank, a good toe guard and drain well. That last part has been important because if I'm in the rain or mud my feet are getting wet and having a shoe that drains is essential. In my experience, unless I'm wearing gaiters, the bad weather will cause my feet to get wet even if I've got waterproof shoes. Water just gets in through the ankle in any kind of deeper water or mud.

Semonster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Segraves
Member #

I wear Danner Mountain Lights on the trail and an old pair New Balance high top hikers that wear for driving and just messing around camp.

I wear the goruck modified SF boot
How are those working out for you? They seem interesting.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Multi pairs:

Italian Military Mountaineering boots (similar to old school Vasque)....heavy!
Rocky 16" Gore tex/leather insulated hi top's winter boots.(bulky&warm)
Light weight Swiss Army Wenger commercial hikers

Last edited:

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

For day to day I wear La Sportiva Wildcat Trail Running Shoes. If it's wet, a little more demanding walk or winter I wear Salomon X Ultra 3 Low GTX (Gortex). Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Don't need big clunky boots. For muddy, deeper stuff I have mid weight Muck boots.

Willys_2014

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

AZ, USA
First Name
G
Last Name
B
Member #

I switched to Danner MTL II about 6 years ago after my old well used Vasque Sundowners were retired to just yard duty.

I am a fan of the Danners, and US manufacture & recrafting are important to me.

Two things to consider:

- Breakin is a PITA. No two ways about it.

- These are not the most clutch friendly footware. There was some discussion on this some years back ... :)

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Currently am using a couple different pairs of Oboz. I used to run Keens exclusively but they fitted sloppy in the heels for my liking and I couldn't stand Merrel and how they fit my fit.

bauhaus

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

East Bay
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
L.
I wear Danner Bull Runs everyday for work (construction) I also wear them on the trail and hiking too. They are extremely comfortable, light weight, durable, and tons of grip on granite. I own a pair of Asolo TPS 520's that I might wear when it gets wet (gore-tex), but I always end up wearing the Danners instead.

Reactions: Ghost

TacoDia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Collinsville, Illinois, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
W
Member #

At base camp usually just some tennis shoes/runners/trainers w/e you fancy them called. Out on trails: Rocky S2Vs since I wore them in the military.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I've been trying my hardest to follow the lead of the Aussie's (and my Wife) who wear flip-flops everywhere. I'll wear hiking boots when really necessary, but I sure love the old flip-flops. My Wife wore her flip-flops for our entire 3 week journey to Tuk and back last year. A number of years ago, when we hiked the trails between the Cinque Terra villages in Italy she wore (yes, you got it) flip flops.

Attachments

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Lowa Zephyr GTX
Little to no break in. Great wearing. Depending on which model you own can be worn at work and go straight into the field.

2693CEC2-E303-43A5-A182-18F0E14B45A5.jpeg

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I wear Danner Bull Runs everyday for work (construction) I also wear them on the trail and hiking too. They are extremely comfortable, light weight, durable, and tons of grip on granite. I own a pair of Asolo TPS 520's that I might wear when it gets wet (gore-tex), but I always end up wearing the Danners instead.

I have been wearing Danners for 37 years. I’ve tried a lot of other brands but have always had a pair of Danners in the closet. Super rainforest right now. It’s also really convenient having thier outlet store about 15 minutes from work. They are expensive but it’s worth the comfort and durability. I’ve actually had a couple pairs rebuilt by Danner over the years. Which says a lot about the materials they use and cost about half of what a new pairs run.