What about a virtual OB MidEurope meeting?

• HTML tutorial

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello Mid Europe Overlanders,

Many of the meetings and trips all of us wanted to do were cancelled this year. And it seems to me that we will still have to walk a little way with this situation. Let´s see. There were many ideas for a personal meeting, like Robert´s Roundtrip through Europe after several lock downs or the idea soem of us have about a course for the first aid part of overlanding.

I guess, nobody of us has an idea of when we could do that again. So I know that there was already an idea some time ago to organise a kind of virtual meeting. What do you think about that. Is that still of interest?

What do you think? @Robert OB 33/48 isn´t that something that could be arranged if enough people are interested? Not much organisation, just an hour or so of a nice chat via skype or similar, about planned trips, ideas, projects? What else?

I'm curious what the opinions are about this.

Cheers, Björn

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello Mid Europe Overlanders,

Many of the meetings and trips all of us wanted to do were cancelled this year. And it seems to me that we will still have to walk a little way with this situation. Let´s see. There were many ideas for a personal meeting, like Robert´s Roundtrip through Europe after several lock downs or the idea soem of us have about a course for the first aid part of overlanding.

I guess, nobody of us has an idea of when we could do that again. So I know that there was already an idea some time ago to organise a kind of virtual meeting. What do you think about that. Is that still of interest?

What do you think? @Robert OB 33/48 isn´t that something that could be arranged if enough people are interested? Not much organisation, just an hour or so of a nice chat via skype or similar, about planned trips, ideas, projects? What else?

I'm curious what the opinions are about this.

Cheers, Björn
We have been doing the virtual meetups here in the Northwest even before the pandemic with quite success. We find that pick a time that works for you and a platform that is easy to use and people will join in... we have done everything from designing a solar system, to trail coms, to RTT vs tent vs sleep platforms, to first aid, to trip planning... we have even done a camp kitchen class... choose a topic that interests you and set it up. Then on the call while closing ask for ideas for the next one... this generates more interest and participation from other members.
@Sandpoint Steve @David H any other ideas or anything I missed?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Iam in. We can use Zoom if you like.
What about friday evening at 20.00 hours?
Excuse me, I didn't even notice this before. Somtimes it seems that I get the automatic forum alerts about new replies and so on, sometimes not?!

Good idea. I never used zoom, but I guess that´s easy. Do you know how to setup something like that?

We could start with a topic that everyone simply reports on which (overland) projects they are currently working on, whether someone is planning trips, etc. Just something that the participants can tell. At the end just ask for ideas for the next time, like suggested by Mike above. So what about next Friday, 8PM CET?

Cheers, Björn

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Have just read that the basic free version of zoom only allows person to person and conference calls up to 40 minutes? What about skype or teams?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We use free conference call... it works similar to zoom, but no time restrictions and gives a dial in number for people to join via phone if they so choose.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Whatever we can use. Fine with me.
And we can make a online hangout in rally points.
Checked that.
Yes you set it up the same way as a regular RP, but just select “Virtual” from the drop down menus.

If any of you have questions about how to get it rolling just ask myself or @Sandpoint Steve. I have been doing Virtual Meetups for about a year now and Steve has been doing them about 2 years now. They are an awesome way to connect with members, especially for you guys in large scattered regions where physical meetups are hard to put together.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes you set it up the same way as a regular RP, but just select “Virtual” from the drop down menus.

If any of you have questions about how to get it rolling just ask myself or @Sandpoint Steve. I have been doing Virtual Meetups for about a year now and Steve has been doing them about 2 years now. They are an awesome way to connect with members, especially for you guys in large scattered regions where physical meetups are hard to put together.
Thanks!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi!

We plan the first OB MidEurope virtual campfire for Friday! I will create a Rally Point re this soon and include all the details. Stay tuned!

Cheers, Björn

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi!

We plan the first OB MidEurope virtual campfire for Friday! I will create a Rally Point re this soon and include all the details. Stay tuned!

Cheers, Björn
Check out the Northwest Conference Call, just to give your self an idea of the information needed.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi!

Cheers, Björn
Check out the Northwest Conference Call, just to give your self an idea of the information needed.

Cool! Thanks!

Reactions: M Rose

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
This is just a little reminder for the Mid Europe virtual campfire tomorrow, Friday, 18th Dec 8PM CET

Let´s have some good talks!