louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Ok I have an update to my original answer. Since this was posted I had the chance to meet up with youtuber mike from last line of defense, and he filmed a walk around video of my truck and was using a canon EOS RP, I have recently aquirred a canon EOS R. I got the EOS R because it is a more solid feeling camera. super easy to use, but still a serious platform.
Wow, the EOS RP is around $2000 with a lens. I watched a lot of your videos where you were using the P900 and that unit was pretty impressive. Is the picture quality a lot better with the Canon? It doesnt look like the Canon has the zoom of the P900, but did you ever really use the full zoom of the P900 all that much?

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I didnt get the RP I got the R its better but $$$ and yes whole different ballgame, to get it to zoom like a P series would cost about 12000.00 for a lens IMAGINE THAT? so my p1000 is my moon, far away camera the EOS R is finding its place. I have lots of cameras. about 12 differnet types.
The title of the post is "What’s a good first camera". Maybe the question should include: How much do I need to spend for a good first camera or for $500.00 what is a good first camera. $1000.00, $1500.00.

I am looking for something for setting up on a tripod and a light for doing interviews. $500.00 *$1000.00 budget. Possible? Suggestions?

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

P900 has a tiny sensor. Go up in sensor size and get a super zoom like the rx10 series. The reason I say that is because you can do all photography types and figure out what you really like then upgrade to that particular style.

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

I may get some shade for this but I've been using a Panasonic Lumix G85 (not to be confused with Lumix GX85) for a little over a year. Just using the 12-60mm kit lens but looking at something telephoto next. The reason I said I may get shade is that it's a cropped micro 4/3 sensor, which my "pro" friends frown upon for whatever reason ;). For my use though, it's light and compact. It also has in-body and in-lens stabilization which I love because I never carry a tripod (just one more thing to pack). I also shoot all my video on it and the articulating screen was kind of a necessity for that imo not to mention 4k is always a plus!

I've heard good things about the G7 as well but don't have personal experience with it. Ithink the next gen is out as well but for quite a bit more money.

P1100168.jpgP1100222.jpgP1060394.jpg

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I've been happy with the Canon line. Last one I got was a package deal from Costco. Body, lens, and some cleaning stuff. The camera itself takes good pictures, especially just point and shoot for beginners. If late you decide you want to get into photography more, then you can always add better lens, light, mic, etc.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

All i’ve Used to take pictures is a small canon camera. Looking for a good starter camera and lens. I see some packages which look good. Looking for recommendations and also looking for the best place to purchase. Not to many camera stores around me.
Two big names, Csnon and Nikon, hard to go wrong with either. Given how fast technology changes, even their bottom line Digital SLR Cameras are excellent choices. For a starter, I'd pick the least expensive from either.

Lenses. I have...
18-55 Zoom
35-150 Zoom ??
70-300 Zoom plus a
Macro Lens
they do everything I want.

If you get zoom coverage from 18-300 you'll have fabulous flexability. That middle lense, 35-150? I never use, I'm not even sure what it is but it came withthe camera 15 years ago. I bought 3, for me, my wife and my son.
Pick any online seller, Amazon, Costco, ??? Camera stores are great once you are beyond basic photography but an wxpensive place to start.

And my system is now 15 years old.
It has no WiFi, no autodownload, but it takes awesome pictures.

I also use mt iphone and have a compact point & shoot, but I prefer the DSLR with a zoom for anything important.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The thing I don't like about both canon and nikon is that the Image stabilization is in the lens of the camera not the body. So, IS does not work with every lens. Most times, lens based IS is an added expense then. Obviously, they know this and fleece their customers accordingly.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

The thing I don't like about both canon and nikon is that the Image stabilization is in the lens of the camera not the body. So, IS does not work with every lens. Most times, lens based IS is an added expense then. Obviously, they know this and fleece their customers accordingly.
It's a lot more expensive to put it in the body IBIS. Rumors are Cannon will have it soon in lower end cameras. Patents filed.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
It's a lot more expensive to put it in the body IBIS. Rumors are Cannon will have it soon in lower end cameras. Patents filed.
It's not really. I have owned sony, fuji and olympus bodies that all had IBIS and they were no more expensive than the canikon competition. I am a fuji fan and user. You can tell right away a photo taken with fuji equipment.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

It's not really. I have owned sony, fuji and olympus bodies that all had IBIS and they were no more expensive than the canikon competition. I am a fuji fan and user. You can tell right away a photo taken with fuji equipment.
Now that Cannon has patents they will put them in. Using another companies patents would have been expensive for Cannon. I think that's what I meant.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
I have a Sony a6500 and I love it. Easy to use and pretty much all the functionality of a dslr but a lot lighter. Takes great photos and video and worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: TwoRoadsOverland

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Now that Cannon has patents they will put them in. Using another companies patents would have been expensive for Cannon. I think that's what I meant.
Ahhh Gotcha!