What’s a good first camera

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

JimInBC

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

The camera you are willing to carry. That is your good first camera. I personally would say get a decent quality camera (I have carried nikon since 1986) but that is not an endorsement, just the system I landed with, and have been happy. I have looked at some of the newer systems especially from Fuji. I recommend to start with a basic kit from nikon fuji or cannon and if you are going to expand spend your first monies on decent lenses as you expand until you are ready to replace the body. I think that buying good glass is money better spent at the beginning. But first get a kit and see if you like the system. Oh and a good tripod, tripods make everything better. :)

Reactions: Rockwilder

Jeepmedic46

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My wife got me the Canon Eos XS Rebel. It came with a 18-55 lens. Person she got it from is a photographer and he was a Canon representive so he had some unused cameras. Unfortunately we don’t have any photography stores around us. Surprised at that as Umass Amherst isn’t to far away from us. Now trying to figure out what kind of tripod to get.

JimInBC

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

There is a used shop here that almost always has some decent old bogens and gitzos aluminum work horses with basic heads. A little heavy compared with some carbon fiber modern ones. but the ones I have have seen a lot and lasted the long haul. One is 25+ though it now has a new ball head.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

There is a used shop here that almost always has some decent old bogens and gitzos aluminum work horses with basic heads. A little heavy compared with some carbon fiber modern ones. but the ones I have have seen a lot and lasted the long haul. One is 25+ though it now has a new ball head.
I’ve heard bogeys are a excellent tripod. I wish we had a camera store nearby.