Launch Member

Traveler III

Carradale, Scotland
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Beautiful pictures, Do you transfer them to a computer? I saw a photo stick somewhere and I can’t remember where I saw it for the I phone. I have the iPhone 8 Plus.View attachment 93389
Yes, aye, I airdrop them across to my iPad and do a little correction work in Snapseed. That’s a free photo editor and it’s brilliant

Wanderinwill

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Flowery Branch, GA, USA
Member #

Awesome photos!! I have two pro cameras and find that it is very difficult sometimes to beat the technology in our smartphones.

Reactions: keeflester

Wanderinwill

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Flowery Branch, GA, USA
Member #

I have always had a passion for photography, and have asked that question many times myself. I used to get so mad when the professional photographers would always respond with the same answer: The best camera is the one that you have with you.

Having said that, I have spent a lot (a LOT) of time trying to find the perfect camera. Ultimately, it depends largely on what you intend to do with it. I was in the same place you were a few years ago and bought a kit from Best Buy-an 80D with two lenses. I also took some basic Photography classes through their continuing education program at my local college. The classes were hugely beneficial, but in retrospect, I ultimately regretted the kit purchase. as my knowledge an experience started to grow, I realized purchasing a body only and then handpicking the lenses I wanted would've been more economical in the end for me. Today I shoot with a Canon 1D Mark Iv and a Canon 80D and love them both, but the kit lenses have been collecting dust for a long time.

If you can swing the coin, I would take a serious look at the new Sony A7.Again, I'm a strong Canon supporter, but It is a beast of a camera with good auto functionality as well as MASSIVE manual capabilities as your experience grows.

Best of luck, love to hear what you settle on when you make your decision

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

Like in most things, it depends. It depends on your budget. It depends on your goals. It depends on your skill level. It depends on you. A general rule of thumb, which I believe has been mentioned, is that your body matters less than your lenses. For that reason, you determine what your goals are. Low light? Landscape? Sports? Nature? Wildlife? And then look at the glass.

You also need to decide between full frame and crop frame bodies. Full frame are pretty much the same as the non-digital cameras; whereas, crop bodies have a crop factor which, well, crop the frame. Crop lenses are generally less expensive and lighter. However, full-frame lenses can be used on crop bodies, but crop lenses often leave vignetting on full frame bodies. Generally speaking, fixed lenses offer better quality over zoom lenses. Zoom lenses offer convenience. Each has its place. Wide angle lenses for landscapes. Long lenses for wildlife. Fast lenses for sports and low light.

For me, nothing beats Nikkor lenses. But that's just me. You'll find an equal amount of people, or more, who prefer Canon. It just depends. I started with a Canon AE-1 program back in the 80s and learned to develop my own film and prints in a darkroom. Nothing great. Just enough to know the process, which helped learn about the exposure triangle of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Add in a basic understanding of the rule of thirds and you're all set, lol.

The lenses that generally come with bodies as a kit aren't that great; however, sometimes you'll find a pretty decent all-around lens. Oftentimes, it's better to forgo the kit lenses, save a little money and then buy a better all-around lenses or a couple of lenses.

I have two bodies -- a D90 and a D7000. My wife generally uses the D90 now. I'd like one of the newer Nikons, but the D7000 does what I need. I also have a nice wide-angle lens for landscapes; a 1.8 35mm fixed; and an OK 50-150mm 2.8. In past trips, either to Costa Rica or Spring Training, I've rented a big zoom. I'd like a new 70-200 2.8 but at more than $2000, I can wait.

A couple or three sites I find helpful:
Welcome to DSLRBodies | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan
New Camera and Photography Articles, Nikon DSLR camera and lens
https://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

OP, I am by no means a "photographer" but really enjoy taking photos. Its not a hobby for me just something I enjoy.

If possible I would maybe check out local photography gear stores. There is one near me that offers classes. You can take their beginners classes, which usually last a day. They prefer that you bring your own gear BUT if you tell them that you are new and wanting to get experience and test gear they will let you borrow a few different cameras during the class for free, especially if you tell them you want to buy from them.

I will also say that the customer service and assistance we have received buying from them is top notch. Girlfriend has a mid range DSLR. She wanted to upgrade bodies. We went in ready to drop the coin and they talked to her for an hour and got a feel for her skills abilities and needs. It ended in them saying that they would not recommend a new body and that some lenses would be a much better investment. We got some lenses and it completely changed our photos and meets most all of our needs. We tried that at bestbuy and they were just trying to sell new bodies.

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

I recently got my wife a Panasonic FZ80 and she has taken some great nature photos with it; especially considering that she an absolute beginner to photography. I found the best price on B&H photo's website but Amazon has some good deals too.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I've always been happy with my Canon DSR cameras. I've always bought as a package with body and lens. The last Canon I got was from Costco if you have one near you.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

I've always been happy with my Canon DSR cameras. I've always bought as a package with body and lens. The last Canon I got was from Costco if you have one near you.
If you are going to stick with the photography you will learn that the lenses make the biggest difference. The kit lenses are ok but not great, you could buy just the body and invest in a few good lenses that will outlast the cameras.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If you are going to stick with the photography you will learn that the lenses make the biggest difference. The kit lenses are ok but not great, you could buy just the body and invest in a few good lenses that will outlast the cameras.
True. I just bought the package to force myself to not buy a better lens. I always try to see how the package is then decide what I think I need/want.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Some great suggestions here. Caveat emptor -- I'm not a good photographer of videographer. I like it but I know that I'm not good at it.

That being said my experience tells me that cameras are like adventure bikes -- the bike is rarely the limiting factor in terms of capability. It's usually the Rider.

We have a Nikon DSLR that we purchased at Costco. They sell kits with decent lenses and bodies for both Nikon and Canon here in Canada, usually much cheaper than anywhere else, and the kits change every year to offer the latest "Pro-sumer" level of camera from each manufacturer (So, not quite professional grade, but slightly higher than consumer grade cameras). Warranty can't be beat, too. For a beginner, this is a good option.

But honestly...most of our stuff is done on an iPhone. Our latest video from 2017 was 95% shot on a Blackberry smartphone. Good light and composition are far more important than camera quality these days, with most cameras shooting very high definition and the post-processing tech being incredibly robust. If you do want to go SLR, you'll be committing to a lens system, so make sure you like it!

I found www.strobist.com to be an excellent, and free, 'crash course' on lighting and composition.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Thank you everyone, I haven’t been on the site in a while. Dr appointments and procedures to try and diminish my headaches which haven’t worked. Back surgery at the end of the month. Once that’s done going to go to a Hunts photo store and check out what they have. Can’t find to many camera stores near me. Looking to photograph mostly wildlife.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My wife found a Canon XS digital SLR on Facebook market place. Her favorite place. Looks like it’s a good deal. Body and lens and memory card and battery and charger. She’s paying 120. Money is tight as i’m Heading into my second surgery. Laminectomy on my lower back. Looks like this will be a good first camera that will except better lenses.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I think the cheapest way to go is a smartphone. You carry one anyway and are used to always having it with you. You can get great pictures and get apps to improve the images. keeflester proves you can take fantastic pictures. Learn how to take pictures, subject, framing, exposure and once you have decided what you really need a camera to do you can find the right one.

I agree with the lens selections above when you are ready to make the investment.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Rockwilder

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg
First Name
Jacques
Last Name
Nilles
Member #

If you want a system with interchangeable lenses, I can recommend you the Fujifilm XT2 with the kit lens 18-55 wich is very good quality for a kit lens. I am very happy with it.
And as the Xt2 has been replaced by the XT3 you get quite good prices on it.
the XT30 seems also to be a good camera and less expensive.

Reactions: jimbofoxman

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

The camera you are willing to carry. That is your good first camera. I personally would say get a decent quality camera (I have carried nikon since 1986) but that is not an endorsement, just the system I landed with, and have been happy. I have looked at some of the newer systems especially from Fuji. I recommend to start with a basic kit from nikon fuji or cannon and if you are going to expand spend your first monies on decent lenses as you expand until you are ready to replace the body. I think that buying good glass is money better spent at the beginning. But first get a kit and see if you like the system. Oh and a good tripod, tripods make everything better. :)

Reactions: Rockwilder

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My wife got me the Canon Eos XS Rebel. It came with a 18-55 lens. Person she got it from is a photographer and he was a Canon representive so he had some unused cameras. Unfortunately we don’t have any photography stores around us. Surprised at that as Umass Amherst isn’t to far away from us. Now trying to figure out what kind of tripod to get.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

There is a used shop here that almost always has some decent old bogens and gitzos aluminum work horses with basic heads. A little heavy compared with some carbon fiber modern ones. but the ones I have have seen a lot and lasted the long haul. One is 25+ though it now has a new ball head.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

There is a used shop here that almost always has some decent old bogens and gitzos aluminum work horses with basic heads. A little heavy compared with some carbon fiber modern ones. but the ones I have have seen a lot and lasted the long haul. One is 25+ though it now has a new ball head.
I’ve heard bogeys are a excellent tripod. I wish we had a camera store nearby.