Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Heyoooooo. Its your turn too, Western VA. And you thought you were going to be left out of all this... Not a chance. In fact, there will even be a Northern VA meet. But that's a story for it's own thread.

@TerryD has stepped forward, and I couldn't be happier. You are getting a great, knowledgeable dude. So, I'm going to keep this vague and let @TerryD give you his vision. All you need to know right now is that you are getting your monthly meet!

@TerryD Thanks for stepping up and taking this one. Very excited for what you have to bring to the Western VA Meetups.

Reactions: Steve

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hello everyone! Getting started here, I've talked with some people around the Roanoke area and it looks like this has become official with @Chris Jones asking me to get this going.

We've been given a large area to cover here guys so I'm going to ask everyone to be patient with me as things are settled on how this is going to happen each month.

@yabbaz , @Chris Jones and myself have been going over the members map to try and find population centers for the various areas to centralize the meetings for everyone and so far, we landed Roanoke. A city with many many good places to chow down and right in the center of the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. We seem to have scored big!

I myself have three kids and hope that you'll all feel comfortable bringing yours around the group as well, we want a family friendly atmosphere to these and want everyone to feel welcome.

Now I'm a busy guy, as I'm sure all of you are as well, so for now we'll do a soft start. April 22nd I'll be in Roanoke and free after about 2pm. If some of you would like to get together and grab a bite to eat or something, post up with your ideas. I know it is a ways for some of you to come on short notice and I'll try to work out a better date next month to give everyone more time to plan. Just keep checking back or subscribe to this thread and forum for updates!

So, hope to see everyone soon! Please post up with ideas or suggestions. I know @schu is WAY west of here and I'm not sure if there are any others down that way but make yourself known and get on the members map please and we'll come up with something!

Thanks,
Terry

Reactions: Unlimited4x4

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Ok guys, this thread is kinda quiet. Please speak up and let us know what you'd like to do!

Initially I had planned on an informal get- to- know- everyone type meeting then possibly do a trail day or overnight ride this summer as well.

@yabbaz has been working on a state wide meetup run around the Waynesboro area including dispersed camping on the trail and some travel time as well. Dates will be settled on that when the plan is more concrete and all ends are tied up. If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, post up and let us know.

Also, if you know of any routes or rides near your location and would like to guide our group on a day trip sometime that would be awesome too. This is your group guys, we're just trying to get it started!

@DeltaNine @Grant H @Darrell @Riley Newsom @Morrisdl and anyone else I missed or not on the map!

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

Hey Terry, Im definitely up for it. I'm up in Manassas VA and frequently go to GWNF out near Harrisonburg. I'd be happy to guide some trips out there if requested.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Could maybe do flag pole knob this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That could very well happen! I would love to check out some new places in the state I've never been! @cash9300 where are you located?

Hey Terry, Im definitely up for it. I'm up in Manassas VA and frequently go to GWNF out near Harrisonburg. I'd be happy to guide some trips out there if requested.
Keep check on the three state threads and we may very well take you up on the offer to trail guide if none of the locals are familiar with that area. I'm from further SW, down around Wytheville, so I don't know much about that area.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey everyone! Next month we have the Prepper Festival in New Castle Va on the 6th from 9am till 5pm. It's an interesting experience that has some off-the-grid living info as well as camping and outdoors gear. I'm planning on attending and possibly camping afterward. If anyone is interested we might take Sunday and ride the road across Bald Mountain near there.

Then I'm thinking about a day trip on the 27th of May as well. I have some roads in mind I'd like to check out between Lexington and Clifton Forge. Post up if you are interested in riding along! I'm expecting very mild forest service roads with nice views and maybe extending it toward New Castle if time allows. @DeltaNine we've talked about checking this out, I hope you can come along! Probably meet for breakfast at Waffle House in Lexington around 10 and then head out after that. I hope everyone in the area will consider coming along! I'll probably have the offspring so if you have kids feel free to bring them along for the ride!

Hope to see you there and see some new roads! Stay safe and see you on the trail!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
@TerryD I'm from more sw than you I'm in coeburn about 45 minutes from Abington
Roger that! I'm originally from Elk Creek near Wytheville, so while I've never been to Coburn, I know where you're talking about. "Western" covers a larger swath of the state than the other two regions have but there aren't many people on the map from your end of things. I'm hoping that changes though!

However, I've been considering this situation! Knowing how many are down that way helps in deciding where things will go down. If need be, we can work on multiple meetups or have them in different places each time to include everyone. Interest in this seems sparse though, I've not recieved any messages and replies here just aren't coming like I hoped they would.

I'm still planning on being in Roanoke Saturday though so give me a shout! These things are for everyone so please chime in with what you'd like to do!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I am in Charlottesville and would be interested.
You'd be more than welcome! I'll just point out that the Richmond area based "Eastern" meetup might be as close or closer to you. Would love to have you down this way though if that works better for you. We've tried to divide the state into areas that were most convenient for everyone but that's still fluid!

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

Hey everyone! Next month we have the Prepper Festival in New Castle Va on the 6th from 9am till 5pm. It's an interesting experience that has some off-the-grid living info as well as camping and outdoors gear. I'm planning on attending and possibly camping afterward. If anyone is interested we might take Sunday and ride the road across Bald Mountain near there.

Then I'm thinking about a day trip on the 27th of May as well. I have some roads in mind I'd like to check out between Lexington and Clifton Forge. Post up if you are interested in riding along! I'm expecting very mild forest service roads with nice views and maybe extending it toward New Castle if time allows. @DeltaNine we've talked about checking this out, I hope you can come along! Probably meet for breakfast at Waffle House in Lexington around 10 and then head out after that. I hope everyone in the area will consider coming along! I'll probably have the offspring so if you have kids feel free to bring them along for the ride!

Hope to see you there and see some new roads! Stay safe and see you on the trail!
At first I thought that said Pepper Festival... Either way it sounds interesting... I may head out that way.

Reactions: Relic6.3 and TerryD

cash9300

Rank I

Contributor III

Roger that! I'm originally from Elk Creek near Wytheville, so while I've never been to Coburn, I know where you're talking about. "Western" covers a larger swath of the state than the other two regions have but there aren't many people on the map from your end of things. I'm hoping that changes though!

However, I've been considering this situation! Knowing how many are down that way helps in deciding where things will go down. If need be, we can work on multiple meetups or have them in different places each time to include everyone. Interest in this seems sparse though, I've not recieved any messages and replies here just aren't coming like I hoped they would.

I'm still planning on being in Roanoke Saturday though so give me a shout! These things are for everyone so please chime in with what you'd like to do!
Well if there's any out this way I know of a trail pretty close to me that we could hit not very long might take two hours start to finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
OK guys, here's what's going on Saturday, April 22nd. Meeting at Mac and Bob's in Salem, Virginia at 1:30pm. I'll probably be there a bit early and probably be parked at the back of the lot on the E Calhoun St end if there's room there. I'm planning on being in my Blue Xterra.

After lunch, a fellow Xterra owner that's meeting me there as well and I are wanting to head over to New Castle and possibly ride some FS roads or maybe even just creep into the Jeep Trail from the West end a bit. Still foggy on that. Hope you can make it out! I'll be monitoring the 985 repeater if any of you are Hams (KJ4TOZ) and also will have my cell, so message me if you want my number.

Thanks!

ShoKilla

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKenney, Va
Member #

OK guys, here's what's going on Saturday, April 22nd. Meeting at Mac and Bob's in Salem, Virginia at 1:30pm. I'll probably be there a bit early and probably be parked at the back of the lot on the E Calhoun St end if there's room there. I'm planning on being in my Blue Xterra.

After lunch, a fellow Xterra owner that's meeting me there as well and I are wanting to head over to New Castle and possibly ride some FS roads or maybe even just creep into the Jeep Trail from the West end a bit. Still foggy on that. Hope you can make it out! I'll be monitoring the 985 repeater if any of you are Hams (KJ4TOZ) and also will have my cell, so message me if you want my number.

Thanks!
I'll have to catch the next one... Enjoy!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'll have to catch the next one... Enjoy!
I'll be putting up info on next month's meetup as soon as I've got it all figured out. Hope you can make it out!

For the rest of you, just a reminder that we're meeting at Mac & Bob's in Salem at 1:30! Possibly a little ride over in Craig County afterward! Come on out and let's all get to know each other a bit!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
So my Xterra forum buddy and I were the only ones who showed up today. We still had a good meal and a cold brew. I wasn't able to go riding, after lunch I got a call that the wife was on the way to the hospital with the oldest of the offspring so I had to head out and see what that was all about. Nothing major, she has an infection and a heavy dose of antibiotics.

Anyways, this was probably poor planning on my part, waiting to set the specifics of the thing and all that so we'll be trying again next month! I'd like some input from you guys about what you'd like these to be!

Meetup in town for a meal?
Hang out at a random local campground?
Ride some Forest Service roads or a trail somewhere?
It's all on the table at this point so please chime in.

For now I'm thinking about meeting up in Roanoke again for a meal, perhaps supper this time maybe? Keep your eyes out for a new meetup thread coming in the next few days and please chime in so I don't have to tag the lot of you EVERY TIME!! LOL :sunglasses: