West Coast...ambulance?

• HTML tutorial

ABCanuck

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cereal, Alberta
Member #

Parts could be difficult if your wanting to stay true to original equipment. The beauty of them though is their simplicity and the ability to swap components and the ease of maintenance as well. As an overland rig, I fail to see how they would be any more maintenance intensive than a modern rig with the myriad of sensors and other electrical doo dads they possess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Buzzard13

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

I love the idea of these old rigs, but they are maintenance intensive, loud, uncomfortable, and parts can be impossible to find.
Parts could be difficult if your wanting to stay true to original equipment. The beauty of them though is their simplicity and the ability to swap components and the ease of maintenance as well. As an overland rig, I fail to see how they would be any more maintenance intensive than a modern rig with the myriad of sensors and other electrical doo dads they possess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maintenance intensive: sometimes
loud: depending
uncomfortable: depending
parts can be impossible to find: depending

I'm with ABCanuck, way easier to work on than new rigs, that rig has a inline six a a one barrel carb and four on the flour, assuming.
Low center of gravity is a plus, doesn't look like it even needs a lift.
Looks to be a military issue dodge, late 40's early- mid 50's. Axles, leaf springs, tranny and engine are all going to be heavy duty and even if you can't get original parts, you could do other bolt on parts from just about any rig up to the mid 80's.
Yes the interior is going to plain, three to four gauges and an old spring seat. Sheet metal floors, hand crank windows; am I correct that this thing wouldn't have a radio right?
But yes This would be an awesome project. Overlanding, Wasteland or both.
Parts are hard to find for most old Dodge trucks; Jeep, International and other odd balls even harder.
I like being rivaled for the oldest rig in the group, way to go ABCanuck.