Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I just picked up one of these Weboost Reach cell phone boosters today. I need it like I need a hole in my head. It's their newest model. Got it cause my cell phone signal is spotty around our area. I have an AT&T iPhone X for personal use and an iPhone 6S for work through Verizon. Both have 1 bars in our area.

Surprisingly I hooked this Weboost on I could see the bars jump from 1 to 4 bars. Internet was faster in my quick speed test and the signal was better. We'll see how it works out on trips. Kids should appreciate it. Hopefully no more buffering on videos lol.

This is with Weboost Reach on. Notice 4 bars.

file-2.png

This is with Weboost Off. Notice the bar dropped down to 1 bar.

file3.png

Installed it by the passenger foot well because antenna not really long enough. But this is ok cause then I can see status light when I need to.

file4-5.jpeg

This in the inside antenna, which I place right behind my phone cradle. Instructions say it could be 1-2 feet away from phone.

file5-3.jpeg

I watched some YouTube videos comparing this new model with their previous model and consensus is that this one is faster. If you already have the previous model then their recommendation is that it is not worth the upgrade for minimal gains. But since this is my first cell phone booster, I am happy with what I see so far.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Here are the signal strength numbers as well. I have an iPhone X and there isn't an app for this at least none that I could find.

With the Weboost Reach powered on the 'rsrp0' is -92 and was fluctuating in the low -80's, which is good!

file2.png

With the Weboost Reach powered off the 'rsrp0' is -119

file1.png

Good info on what is good cell phone signal strength - How to Read Cell Phone Signal Strength The Right Way

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I too picked one of these up last week for the offroad camper. Coincidentally, yesterday we had a Comcast internet outage at the house while I was working from home and the tmobile network was either bogged down or something went array with their service as well. So I walked out into the garage, turned on the weboost reach power, sat my iphone there and turned on hotspot and bam, I now had internet down in my office. When I needed to make calls, I just went out to the garage and talked on the phone. Worked well even with the camper in the garage.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I too picked one of these up last week for the offroad camper. Coincidentally, yesterday we had a Comcast internet outage at the house while I was working from home and the tmobile network was either bogged down or something went array with their service as well. So I walked out into the garage, turned on the weboost reach power, sat my iphone there and turned on hotspot and bam, I now had internet down in my office. When I needed to make calls, I just went out to the garage and talked on the phone. Worked well even with the camper in the garage.
Awesome that reminds me I should test my hotspot as well. That’s awesome you were able to use your Weboost outside your rig.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I tested the speed while I was stuck in traffic on the way to work. This time big difference is speed.

On AT&T’s 5Ge which is another LTE name. Weboost on.

IMG_2968.JPG

With Weboost off.

IMG_2972.JPG

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Nice write up. I've been staring at these for a bit. Couldn't find anyone who actually tested it other than "Yeah, It works".
I didn't see it but, did you run an external antenna?
Edit: Followed the link and it showed a small mag mount antenna. There's another more permanent one I was eyeing on the Wilson site.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Here are the signal strength numbers as well. I have an iPhone X and there isn't an app for this at least none that I could find.

With the Weboost Reach powered on the 'rsrp0' is -92 and was fluctuating in the low -80's, which is good!

View attachment 103048

With the Weboost Reach powered off the 'rsrp0' is -119

View attachment 103047

Good info on what is good cell phone signal strength - How to Read Cell Phone Signal Strength The Right Way
I have a 2003 Silverado. Your Dash looks the same in the photo as mine. I'm interested in the phone cradle, and especially the bracket into the dash. Saves a vent for full flow air, rather than a vent mount. Summer here in Southern Nevada is no joke 120-130 when you get in, hi 90's with A/C in the truck unless you roll for a bit. THX, i'm afraid to ask, but my guess is your kit is close to $500. If i could use it as a business expense, I could justify it. Also if I was still on the road for job stuff out in low cell service areas.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have a 2003 Silverado. Your Dash looks the same in the photo as mine. I'm interested in the phone cradle, and especially the bracket into the dash. Saves a vent for full flow air, rather than a vent mount. Summer here in Southern Nevada is no joke 120-130 when you get in, hi 90's with A/C in the truck unless you roll for a bit. THX, i'm afraid to ask, but my guess is your kit is close to $500. If i could use it as a business expense, I could justify it. Also if I was still on the road for job stuff out in low cell service areas.
Hi Jerold,

Here are the 3 components of the cell phone holder. When I first discovered it I was so excited. I understand what you mean about the heat. I want all my vents.

Mount. No drilling required. Uses existing holes behind bezel.

Then you need the adapter to connect to mount.

Then lastly you need the phone mount to connect to the adapter.

Yes the Weboost was $499. I will write off business expense as I am on the road weekly for work.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I just picked up one of these Weboost Reach cell phone boosters today. I need it like I need a hole in my head. It's their newest model. Got it cause my cell phone signal is spotty around our area. I have an AT&T iPhone X for personal use and an iPhone 6S for work through Verizon. Both have 1 bars in our area.

Surprisingly I hooked this Weboost on I could see the bars jump from 1 to 4 bars. Internet was faster in my quick speed test and the signal was better. We'll see how it works out on trips. Kids should appreciate it. Hopefully no more buffering on videos lol.

This is with Weboost Reach on. Notice 4 bars.

View attachment 103043

This is with Weboost Off. Notice the bar dropped down to 1 bar.

View attachment 103044

Installed it by the passenger foot well because antenna not really long enough. But this is ok cause then I can see status light when I need to.

View attachment 103045

This in the inside antenna, which I place right behind my phone cradle. Instructions say it could be 1-2 feet away from phone.

View attachment 103046

I watched some YouTube videos comparing this new model with their previous model and consensus is that this one is faster. If you already have the previous model then their recommendation is that it is not worth the upgrade for minimal gains. But since this is my first cell phone booster, I am happy with what I see so far.
I was looking at this. A bit costly at $499.00. But if you travel out West, this would makes sense. I won't be overlanding out west for another two years so this can wait. Thanks for the post. Great info.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I was looking at this. A bit costly at $499.00. But if you travel out West, this would makes sense. I won't be overlanding out west for another two years so this can wait. Thanks for the post. Great info.
Most welcome!

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
How has the weboost work now that you been using it for a little bit? I have the ability that on some things I am able to work remotely but I need to least be connected to the net. I saw someone had mentioned about out west. How well do you think it would work off grid to acquire signal? I have a Dual SkyPro GPS in my rig that just feeds GPS signal to my iPad and iPhone so I can use my Gaia & Avenza when I'm out of connectivity. I know there's nothing fool proof but if I could get connection when I have no cell just to be able to work would be a great thing. I have been trying to outweigh a hardwired dedicated hub like this into the rig or a portable hotspot.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
How has the weboost work now that you been using it for a little bit? I have the ability that on some things I am able to work remotely but I need to least be connected to the net. I saw someone had mentioned about out west. How well do you think it would work off grid to acquire signal? I have a Dual SkyPro GPS in my rig that just feeds GPS signal to my iPad and iPhone so I can use my Gaia & Avenza when I'm out of connectivity. I know there's nothing fool proof but if I could get connection when I have no cell just to be able to work would be a great thing. I have been trying to outweigh a hardwired dedicated hub like this into the rig or a portable hotspot.
Still working as expected. Just note that it has to have a signal to boost. So where ever you are off grid you really can’t be in an area with zero bars to be effective. I know my signal is strong cause almost everywhere I go I can see I most always have full bars. My head unit connected via Bluetooth shows my phone signal strength and battery level.

RCooney

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Cooney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3OXS
@RoarinRow Just curious. Looking at one of these for long road trips to be able to continue to work. Can you mount it in a vehicle but still get access in a camper or would it be better to mount it in the camper? Thanks!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
@RoarinRow Just curious. Looking at one of these for long road trips to be able to continue to work. Can you mount it in a vehicle but still get access in a camper or would it be better to mount it in the camper? Thanks!
If you mostly need it to work in the camper then I would mount it there. Basically, your phone should be as close to the Weboost antenna as possible for stronger signals. In my case the antenna is right behind my cell phone holder mount. Hope that helps.

Maybe if you installed the Weboost antenna somewhere in the rear of the cab so that it would be between your cell phone while driving and your camper? You could surely test your signal strength before you apply the double sided tape that goes in the back of the antenna.

Antenna.JPG

Reactions: Mr. McPickle