We are driving around the world. Right now.

• HTML tutorial

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
The other side of longterm overlanding. It’s easy to put up with the uncomfortable moments when you know you’ll be driving back to a comfy house. Rain soaked gear can get hung in the garage or in the bathroom…not for those living on the road. Each day is full of sorting stuff to be prepared enough to move forward, more like the short game over the long game even though that is the long game.

We actually preferred the rainy season but we are from Florida so that was more of what we were use to. The dry season, ehh the flies and dust, had us at wits end. We’re not sure you have the room but a small vacuum makes dealing with the bugs a quick job, a tip we received from Pan-Am veterans before we set off. The bugs you just encountered sound like termites but that’s just a guess.

There is no shame in getting a room or an apartment. We did it many times. Why should only the moto riders get to have A/C and a bathtub ; ) Also, it might just be the only way to fully dry out. Central America in the rainy season means a clothes dryer is essential. Once the funk sets in it’s almost impossible to get it out. We had one spell of 17 days of constant rain.

Nothing really holds up to everyday use. The screens in our pop top are failing, as is the canvas, but we figure we used our top the equivalent of 80+ years based on how others use their vans. Things like that suck more than almost anything else when on the road. Reach out to Alu-Cab, they may work with you. Friends had issues with their ARB awning and they were sent replacement parts, they also had a new fridge sent to them to replace theirs that failed.

I’ll end with one of my favorite descriptions of long term overlanding by Graeme Bell: “You make life long friends you may never see again in your lifetime.” It’s one of the hardest parts.

Yours in the struggle

-JaM

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

The other side of longterm overlanding. It’s easy to put up with the uncomfortable moments when you know you’ll be driving back to a comfy house. Rain soaked gear can get hung in the garage or in the bathroom…not for those living on the road. Each day is full of sorting stuff to be prepared enough to move forward, more like the short game over the long game even though that is the long game.

We actually preferred the rainy season but we are from Florida so that was more of what we were use to. The dry season, ehh the flies and dust, had us at wits end. We’re not sure you have the room but a small vacuum makes dealing with the bugs a quick job, a tip we received from Pan-Am veterans before we set off. The bugs you just encountered sound like termites but that’s just a guess.

There is no shame in getting a room or an apartment. We did it many times. Why should only the moto riders get to have A/C and a bathtub ; ) Also, it might just be the only way to fully dry out. Central America in the rainy season means a clothes dryer is essential. Once the funk sets in it’s almost impossible to get it out. We had one spell of 17 days of constant rain.

Nothing really holds up to everyday use. The screens in our pop top are failing, as is the canvas, but we figure we used our top the equivalent of 80+ years based on how others use their vans. Things like that suck more than almost anything else when on the road. Reach out to Alu-Cab, they may work with you. Friends had issues with their ARB awning and they were sent replacement parts, they also had a new fridge sent to them to replace theirs that failed.

I’ll end with one of my favorite descriptions of long term overlanding by Graeme Bell: “You make life long friends you may never see again in your lifetime.” It’s one of the hardest parts.

Yours in the struggle

-JaM
Love your insight guys. Thank you for the encouragement. As you I'm sure well know, we are really enjoying the journey, but these are the truths that are rarely if ever discussed. We actually do travel with a handheld Dyson vacuum, and have since we started. I'm honestly quite impressed with how well Brittany has been handling everything. She is very accustomed to keeping a tidy house and with each new challenge she adapts but still manages to tackle it. We have zero shame in getting an airbnb or hotel when we feel we need a break. I'm actually in one now since Caspian caught a fever and I wanted him to have a comfortable place to rest and recuperate. But all in all we all prefer being in the Jeep than in a stick and brick simply because it is our home. ~ Eric

Reactions: John and Mandi

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Love your insight guys. Thank you for the encouragement. As you I'm sure well know, we are really enjoying the journey, but these are the truths that are rarely if ever discussed. We actually do travel with a handheld Dyson vacuum, and have since we started. I'm honestly quite impressed with how well Brittany has been handling everything. She is very accustomed to keeping a tidy house and with each new challenge she adapts but still manages to tackle it. We have zero shame in getting an airbnb or hotel when we feel we need a break. I'm actually in one now since Caspian caught a fever and I wanted him to have a comfortable place to rest and recuperate. But all in all we all prefer being in the Jeep than in a stick and brick simply because it is our home. ~ Eric
Oh yeah, it’s just part of it but that’s the balance…as in all things. We carry a handheld Dyson too, glad we aren’t the only ones to have a crazy posh vacuum. In our defense we already owned it as our home was small enough it was all we needed. Great to hear you got a place, has to be essential with a little one. Being in a house now we miss the van but…we have a bathtub so that helps us through the pain :tearsofjoy:. Oh, and a freezer and an oven and a washer/dryer and a big comfy couch…we would trade it all to get back out there though.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
RISK Vs REWARD

Lately my wife and I have been having discussions about risk vs reward.

What do I mean by this?

Well, imagine there is an off-road route that supposedly leads to what looks like a lake for some wild camping. Would you take it?

What if you don’t have any information on the safety and crime statistics of the area? Would you still?

What if it was in an extremely impoverished country where you are essentially driving a vehicle through that regularly garners attention and is worth more than many of the homes in the area? Would you still take it?

What if it was rainy season and you weren’t sure what the conditions would be on that road if heavy rains came and maybe washed it away? Would you still do it?

What if it was just you by yourself, you and your significant other, or you with your significant other and your young child? Would these different scenarios have any impact on your decision to take that road?

What if you were only going to be in the area once in your lifetime? Then would you take it?

What if you were with another overlanding vehicle? Would this make a difference in your decision?

What if something tragic were to happen to one of your family members, yourself, or your home? What would you have to live with because of the decision you ultimately made?

What if you have an incredible time because you took a risk that went beyond that which you normally allow yourself?

What level of risk is the right level of risk?

How to balance risk vs reward and have a journey where you have no regrets that you left something undone is a very hard thing to navigate on a global journey like this. There are so many what ifs. So many decisions to make and ultimately YOU are responsible for the consequences of your decisions and actions.

I don’t have answers at this point. I wish I did. I wish I could impart wisdom at this point, but I’m far from it. I have only questions and the day to day experience that we are earning on this drive around the world.

What is your take? And is it easier to give your take because you aren’t actively doing it? Or have you?

I’m really curious as to your thoughts. ~ Eric
My thoughts:

Risk is the combination of probability and consequence, and managing risk is a matter of understanding what may happen and planning around it - both reduction and mitigation.

Reward means different things to different people, however if you have a clear idea of why you're travelling (cultural exploration, music, food, nature, scenery, whatever...) then it's relatively easy to know what it means for you.

So Risk/Reward is simply the balance between the risk you're managing and the reward you hope to receive. An example might be crossing the Simpson Desert.

Risk for one aspect of this is experiencing two punctures which you cannot fix, when carrying one spare:

- probability - low - if you have good tyres, keep them inflated to the right pressure, check pressures regularly, and avoid things which could damage them, then the risk of one puncture is low, and of two is minimal.

- consequences - high - the first puncture means changing to the spare, the second means that you are no longer mobile - you'll have to call for help or pick up a ride from someone else to go for help. The former means that you need communications (VHF/HF, satphone, InReach...), the latter that you wait for a day or three and luckily meret someone with space for you to hitch a ride. The former gets expensive in a hurry - a 3 day call out from Mt Dare or Birdsville is thousands of dollars. The latter is a lot less expensive (flat of beer when you arrive at one or the other of these) however is less reliable.

So most risk matrices would put the combination of minimal probability and high consequences as a low risk.

Reward - is one of the most amazing trips in the world, almost completely away from infrastructure, giving a new meaning to the term "off-grid"), in stunning desert scenery, amazing starry skies, which you will recall with pleasure for ever.

You can reduce the risk by adding a second spare, however this uses up GVM, costs money, adds fuel consumption, affects handling, etc., etc., all of which increase levels of different risks.

So, the key, in my view, is to think about what could happen, how likely it is and what the consequences would be, then think about how to reduce the risk and mitigate the outcomes.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The reality of this global overland journey is rarely talked about. Here is some of the hard stuff. Don't get me wrong, this trip is amazing and what we are experiencing is incredible. But there are hardships and challenges too, and this is what I want to share about today...

Ready? Here we go...

1. Rainy season in Central America is no joke. We're just at the beginning of it and we've already narrowly escaped a tornado in Honduras where our awning was destroyed, and we recently had to do a really sticky self-recovery in Nicaragua we weren't sure we were going to get out of.

2. The rain is non-stop sometimes and at times has made me second guess my life choices. But then we'll get a brief break, a small glimmer of sunshine, and everything is right with the world again.

3. Overall the Gladiator has been great and our overlanding kit/setup has done everything we've needed it to. There are a few things that I am underwhelmed with. The mozzie nets on the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper are already showing significant wear. Granted we are full-time overlanders and we use them all every day, multiple times a day. I think for weekenders they would be fine but for full-time they need to be a bit more robust. The velcro/glue combo that holds them sealed to the rig is also starting to fail. As far as the Jeep Gladiator itself, in hindsight, lockers would have been a smart addition for this journey. We were trying to save ounces, and that was the wrong call when it came to lockers. Also I'm underwhelmed in the Gladiator's ability to reverse in 4lo onto MAXTRAX. Good thing to have learned though for future situations. I know, I know. I should be heading forward, but you'd have to be in the situations that I've been in to fully understand the situation. Suffice it to say that recoveries that require reverse with an automatic transmission are not your friend.

4. Sickness is going to happen. When you live in a Jeep with a 5 year old, and it is raining outside all the time, that can be no bueno. Yesterday Caspian threw up 3 times. Twice inside the Canopy Camper. Yuk! Gotta roll with it. Part of the journey, but the stuff that never makes Instagram. (Though the story did make our Patreon where we share a bit more of our intimate moments like this)

5. The swarm of flying insects down here can be relentless. Last night, a low budget movie director could have filmed a really bad b-movie about what we went through. Thousands upon thousands of flying ant looking things with fragile wings swarmed us. They were all over our mozzie nets on the outside. Even though everything was as buttoned up as we could get it, they were still finding a way to get inside the rig. I killed bugs until 11:30 at night, woke up at 2AM and went for round two, then back to sleep at 4:30AM and up at 7:00AM. Not a fun night.

6. I've said this many times, but the lack of consistency in community is by far the HARDEST part of this journey. In our world, the ability to simply call up a friend and go have wings, or share a glass of wine doesn't exist. We are constantly meeting really amazing people, and then saying goodbye. If you are ever thinking of this type of journey, don't underestimate this. For us our Patreon community fills that gap as we are very transparent with them, and they have been incredibly kind and supportive during our most difficult times that we've shared. That's what friends are for right?

So there you have it. Just some random thoughts I thought I'd share to help keep this as real as it gets.

~ Eric
Just a tidbit for if you go to get lockers. Get truetracs. They add no weight, they are automatic and they are basically bulletproof. No running air lines, electrical etc. They are great as long as not wheels are in the air!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

My thoughts:

Risk is the combination of probability and consequence, and managing risk is a matter of understanding what may happen and planning around it - both reduction and mitigation.

Reward means different things to different people, however if you have a clear idea of why you're travelling (cultural exploration, music, food, nature, scenery, whatever...) then it's relatively easy to know what it means for you.

So Risk/Reward is simply the balance between the risk you're managing and the reward you hope to receive. An example might be crossing the Simpson Desert.

Risk for one aspect of this is experiencing two punctures which you cannot fix, when carrying one spare:

- probability - low - if you have good tyres, keep them inflated to the right pressure, check pressures regularly, and avoid things which could damage them, then the risk of one puncture is low, and of two is minimal.

- consequences - high - the first puncture means changing to the spare, the second means that you are no longer mobile - you'll have to call for help or pick up a ride from someone else to go for help. The former means that you need communications (VHF/HF, satphone, InReach...), the latter that you wait for a day or three and luckily meret someone with space for you to hitch a ride. The former gets expensive in a hurry - a 3 day call out from Mt Dare or Birdsville is thousands of dollars. The latter is a lot less expensive (flat of beer when you arrive at one or the other of these) however is less reliable.

So most risk matrices would put the combination of minimal probability and high consequences as a low risk.

Reward - is one of the most amazing trips in the world, almost completely away from infrastructure, giving a new meaning to the term "off-grid"), in stunning desert scenery, amazing starry skies, which you will recall with pleasure for ever.

You can reduce the risk by adding a second spare, however this uses up GVM, costs money, adds fuel consumption, affects handling, etc., etc., all of which increase levels of different risks.

So, the key, in my view, is to think about what could happen, how likely it is and what the consequences would be, then think about how to reduce the risk and mitigate the outcomes.
Alan, I seriously couldn't love this any more than I do. Love the way you worked through the problem. This is what I've been trying to do with each situation or decision we've been making on this journey. Thank you for putting your thoughts into words here. This is great. ~ E

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Just a tidbit for if you go to get lockers. Get truetracs. They add no weight, they are automatic and they are basically bulletproof. No running air lines, electrical etc. They are great as long as not wheels are in the air!
My understanding is that the Detroit Truetrac lockers are specifically for off-road use and aren't great to have on daily drivers. Am I mistaken in this? I could be, I understand very little about them other than what I've seen in articles and YouTube videos. ~ E

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My understanding is that the Detroit Truetrac lockers are specifically for off-road use and aren't great to have on daily drivers. Am I mistaken in this? I could be, I understand very little about them other than what I've seen in articles and YouTube videos. ~ E
Hey Eric, Truetracs are fully open on the road they only lock up when wheel slip is encoutered. They drive like an open diff on the road. If I kept our JK unlimited I would have them installed in a heartbeat.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Today was humbling.

I was blessed to be an extremely small part of a humanitarian effort for 25 families who have lost everything due to flooding.

To be clear I had nothing to do with this. I stumbled upon this as friends of ours who are overlanders had taken it upon themselves to simply do the right thing for the local community. I just happened to be coming into the area where my friends were that had spearheaded a selfless effort.

So beautiful.

They didn’t do it for the recognition or the fanfare. So I won’t mention them by name. They know who they are and what they’ve done. They didn’t seek donations. They just stepped up.

Seriously beautiful humans.
❤️

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey Eric, Truetracs are fully open on the road they only lock up when wheel slip is encoutered. They drive like an open diff on the road. If I kept our JK unlimited I would have them installed in a heartbeat.
And this slip can be bad… like heading up an asphalt grade with black ice at the top… Ask me how I know.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
A flood washed away everything they owned. This is the latest in our journey around the world.

Caution: Your heart will likely be moved by this.

#hourlesslife #overlanding #nicaragua
That is what being human is all about. We had a person in our circle of husky friends fall on hard times. We have provided things for him, his partner and their dog a few times now and it feels great to help out. Great video!

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We finally have internet. First world problems right?

But...

Bucket List Item ✅

The Cloud Forest of Costa Rica. Join us on a day in the life overlanding around the world as we take you with us into the Monteverde area of Costa Rica. This is one of the most biodiverse areas on the planet.

#overlanding #costarica #hourlesslife

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
When there is radio silence for a period of time, I start thinking the same thing, but I remember they are in areas without reliable service. I know if we go on an extended run, I will be getting starlink. Invaluable item for us for entertainment, connectivity and safety. I have a near silent honda 1000w generator we can fire up wherever, and connect using the starlink system.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We've had some Jeep Gladiator suspension issues here in Central America. We also lost our awning in a tornado in Honduras. So it was time to take DAUNTLESS to the shop.

It is a long drive around the world, and things are bound to creep up from time to time.

Had a lot of fun with this video of how we tackled these issues which you can see here:
#overlanding #hourlesslife #jeep #jeepgladiator #CostaRica #tjm4x4 #tjmcostarica

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We've had some Jeep Gladiator suspension issues here in Central America. We also lost our awning in a tornado in Honduras. So it was time to take DAUNTLESS to the shop.

It is a long drive around the world, and things are bound to creep up from time to time.

Had a lot of fun with this video of how we tackled these issues which you can see here:
#overlanding #hourlesslife #jeep #jeepgladiator #CostaRica #tjm4x4 #tjmcostarica
As every year ticks by the amount of annual maintenance grows. We never understood why those that were on the road much longer than us had shipped back to their home country at some point to work on their rig, now we do. You are in a much newer vehicle so you may never have the need but around year 4 or 5 is when "bigger" issues start to appear. Those that burn around the world in less than 3 years might have a better time with the rig but that would be a miserable time for us, and you as we tend to both prefer slowverlanding.