We are driving around the world. Right now.

• HTML tutorial

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
When there is radio silence for a period of time, I start thinking the same thing, but I remember they are in areas without reliable service. I know if we go on an extended run, I will be getting starlink. Invaluable item for us for entertainment, connectivity and safety. I have a near silent honda 1000w generator we can fire up wherever, and connect using the starlink system.
It's normally having too much fun over a connectivity issue. We had a few times where we were getting messages from a bunch of family and friends that were wondering if we were OK. We had service but we were hanging with friends every day without a care in the world. Granted, we rarely uploaded a video so we never really needed enough bandwidth to accomplish that task but overall the connectivity isn't as bad as it is made out to be. Smartphones are as pervasive as beer. An eyeopener was when we were deep in the jungle camping in a Mayan village, having negotiated a small fee. Through broken English and broken Spanish, many Mayans don't speak either, we learned more about the region and their lifestyle then ultimately traded phones to become facebook friends (each having to locate ourselves for the other). Another time was when we were in the Inca region of Peru, looking at hand made Alpaca blankets. The sweet woman insured us there would be no issue with us purchasing one as she took Visa, whipping out her phone with a dongle that seemed to be the Peruvian version of Square. We did manage to find ourselves without service, which we prefer, but usually that was due to which carrier we had selected over coverage not being available. We have friends that would get multiple SIMs to guarantee availability but they worked (employee and/or business owners) so it was important. In the "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" there is a scene on the ship where Walter is speaking with one of the workers while sitting at a table. It encapsulates a lot about travel and brings a big smile to my face every time we watch it while simultaneously reminding me of what tech is capable of, definitely a double edged sword.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

A full walk-around tour of our global overlanding vehicle.

We waited a year of hard use to provide this tour so that we could share how all of this equipment has held up. Really hope you enjoy this tour. I also talk about the philosophy behind our build for driving all around the world.

Happy to field any questions. ~ Eric

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

We waited a year of hard use to provide this tour so that we could share how all of this equipment has held up. Really hope you enjoy this tour. I also talk about the philosophy behind our build for driving all around the world.

Again, great content. After watching Kelly and I started discussing our Sylvansport Go/Jeep Patriot setup for getting out next year. I am going to take some of the "frunk" space up front with an inverter, lithium battery, and charge controller. Outside, we will have a plug to provide power to the interior of the camper, another one to plug in the solar panels and provide some power to the exterior of the camper for lighting etc. We have most everything else covered. Your setup is awesome however, if not wanting to tow a camper.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Again, great content. After watching Kelly and I started discussing our Sylvansport Go/Jeep Patriot setup for getting out next year. I am going to take some of the "frunk" space up front with an inverter, lithium battery, and charge controller. Outside, we will have a plug to provide power to the interior of the camper, another one to plug in the solar panels and provide some power to the exterior of the camper for lighting etc. We have most everything else covered. Your setup is awesome however, if not wanting to tow a camper.
That's great Steve! Glad you and Kelly are discussing your setup for next year. Happy to be a resource for y'all. If any questions come up along the way as you make your build don't hesitate to reach out. Appreciate the kind words on our content and build. ~ Eric

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran

Thank you again for your insights on what, how, and why! Very valuable info for practical application.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Very well thought out build and some nice gear to go along with it. Thanks for sharing.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We just released this video to showcase how we are sharing our journey around the world LIVE on our Patreon. If you are interested in what we are doing, check this out:

Happy as always to field questions. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Can't believe it is almost time to ship our Jeep to South America!

Today was day 2 of getting DAUNTLESS ready for the container shipping from Panama to Colombia.

Rainy season through Central America was no joke. We removed everything from inside the rig cleaned out all of the floors, cabinets and compartments. Did a complete inventory and put it all back.

We got rid of about a half trash bags worth of great gear and equipment to give away to other overlanders that we haven't used in the past year since we left the USA.
It took us two days to get the job fully done. But we're feeling good about it. The next stage of our overland journey around the world is South America and we think it is going to take us 2-3 years to complete that continent.

Many of you have asked me for a walk around tour of our Jeep. We released a video which I'll link here for those that want to see it. Fair warning it is a 40 minute full walk around of everything we've done to our rig for this global journey. I take you around the exterior and talk about the philosophy of our build, then my wife takes you through the interior. Hope it is helpful to anyone interested in our rig. As always, I'm happy to field any questions for those considering international overlanding, or full time overlanding. Here is the link to that walk around: https://youtu.be/ZF41rFJBOt0

IMG_6361.JPG
CLEANING OUT DAUNTLESS
IMG_6350.JPG
A TWO DAY PROCESS TO GET EVERYTHING OUT CLEANED AND INVENTORIED
IMG_6363.JPG
MEASURING DAUNTLESS FOR THE CONTAINER

This has been an amazing and often times difficult journey so far. So glad we have taken this on. Can't wait to start South America. we are scheduled to ship on November 5th.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Full video of what it is like to ship a vehicle to South America. We shipped from Panama City, Panama to Cartagena, Colombia. Here is the full video:

Let me know if you have any questions! ~ Eric

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Our Jeep Gladiator has made it to South America! We are ready to explore the continent. This video documents the insane process to extract our vehicle from the port in Cartagena, Colombia.

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

In the mountains of Colombia you'll find this national park which was part of the inspiration for Disney's Encanto movie. We take you with us in this video.

Reactions: Arailt

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

The most highly recommended spot to visit in all of Colombia is the pueblo of Barichara. In this video we take you with us on a walk through this magical town.

Open to any questions about Barichara, Colombia, or overlanding in this amazing country. ~ Eric

Reactions: Arailt

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
RISK Vs REWARD

Lately my wife and I have been having discussions about risk vs reward.

What do I mean by this?

Well, imagine there is an off-road route that supposedly leads to what looks like a lake for some wild camping. Would you take it?

What if you don’t have any information on the safety and crime statistics of the area? Would you still?

What if it was in an extremely impoverished country where you are essentially driving a vehicle through that regularly garners attention and is worth more than many of the homes in the area? Would you still take it?

What if it was rainy season and you weren’t sure what the conditions would be on that road if heavy rains came and maybe washed it away? Would you still do it?

What if it was just you by yourself, you and your significant other, or you with your significant other and your young child? Would these different scenarios have any impact on your decision to take that road?

What if you were only going to be in the area once in your lifetime? Then would you take it?

What if you were with another overlanding vehicle? Would this make a difference in your decision?

What if something tragic were to happen to one of your family members, yourself, or your home? What would you have to live with because of the decision you ultimately made?

What if you have an incredible time because you took a risk that went beyond that which you normally allow yourself?

What level of risk is the right level of risk?

How to balance risk vs reward and have a journey where you have no regrets that you left something undone is a very hard thing to navigate on a global journey like this. There are so many what ifs. So many decisions to make and ultimately YOU are responsible for the consequences of your decisions and actions.

I don’t have answers at this point. I wish I did. I wish I could impart wisdom at this point, but I’m far from it. I have only questions and the day to day experience that we are earning on this drive around the world.

What is your take? And is it easier to give your take because you aren’t actively doing it? Or have you?

I’m really curious as to your thoughts. ~ Eric
What a great introspective to overlanding through uncharted territory. Not many have those decisions to toil over. Very similar no doubt to adventurers going back hundreds of years. A coin toss...a gut feeling...but preparation and luck prevails and quests succeed...where many haven't.

Fantastic journey brother...and always, God's speed and be safe out there!

Sea

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

RISK Vs REWARD

Lately my wife and I have been having discussions about risk vs reward.

What do I mean by this?

Well, imagine there is an off-road route that supposedly leads to what looks like a lake for some wild camping. Would you take it?

What if you don’t have any information on the safety and crime statistics of the area? Would you still?

What if it was in an extremely impoverished country where you are essentially driving a vehicle through that regularly garners attention and is worth more than many of the homes in the area? Would you still take it?

What if it was rainy season and you weren’t sure what the conditions would be on that road if heavy rains came and maybe washed it away? Would you still do it?

What if it was just you by yourself, you and your significant other, or you with your significant other and your young child? Would these different scenarios have any impact on your decision to take that road?

What if you were only going to be in the area once in your lifetime? Then would you take it?

What if you were with another overlanding vehicle? Would this make a difference in your decision?

What if something tragic were to happen to one of your family members, yourself, or your home? What would you have to live with because of the decision you ultimately made?

What if you have an incredible time because you took a risk that went beyond that which you normally allow yourself?

What level of risk is the right level of risk?

How to balance risk vs reward and have a journey where you have no regrets that you left something undone is a very hard thing to navigate on a global journey like this. There are so many what ifs. So many decisions to make and ultimately YOU are responsible for the consequences of your decisions and actions.

I don’t have answers at this point. I wish I did. I wish I could impart wisdom at this point, but I’m far from it. I have only questions and the day to day experience that we are earning on this drive around the world.

What is your take? And is it easier to give your take because you aren’t actively doing it? Or have you?

I’m really curious as to your thoughts. ~ Eric
What a great introspective to overlanding through uncharted territory. Not many have those decisions to toil over. Very similar no doubt to adventurers going back hundreds of years. A coin toss...a gut feeling...but preparation and luck prevails and quests succeed...where many haven't.

Fantastic journey brother...and always, God's speed and be safe out there!

Sea
Thanks Sea! Appreciate the encouragement. Today we walked through the neighborhood of La Candelaria in Bogota, Colombia. Pretty amazing to stand in the main plaza where so much happened in history! ~ Eric

Reactions: Sea Diamond

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

What is it really like to overland in Colombia, South America? Find out in this interview with a local overlander (In English)

#hourlesslife #overlanding #colombia