Waterproofing the Plano Sportsman box

• HTML tutorial

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

Some time ago I posted a picture of my storage solution using 8 Plano boxes... yeah 8. They break down as follows for 2 adults and 2 kids:
2 boxes for clothing
2 boxes for sleeping bags, air mattresses, air pump and wool blankets
2 dry food storage
1 kitchen and stove
1 miscellaneous (glow sticks, toilet paper, lanterns, batteries, fan, inverter big nets...)

With so many boxes not all of them fit in my Jeep. As a matter of fact I only fit 4 in my jeep along with an ice chest and in my Trailer I fit 4 Plano boxes and another ice chest. Because of my trailer being open they need to be water tight from rain and dirt and mixtures of the two.

So now on to the sealing of these boxes. For this I use Plano Sportsman 1719 68 Quart boxes all of my Overlanding boxes are Black (hunting/fishing are green).

Items needed are as follows:
Plano Box
EPDM rubber weather seal D profiled 5/16 wide 1/4 thick (see pic)
Super glue
Scissors
Ball point pen
Alcohol wipes (not pictured)

Weather seal and profile:

Tools:

Now that you have your supplies you are ready to do this simple task.

Step 1:
Start by flipping the lid over and cleaning the surface of the lip using alcohol wipes.

Step 2:
Place super glue in the straight channel of lid and allow a minute for the glue to start getting tacky. Note do not apply to the corners as the glue actually prevents the gasket from sealing against the plastic.

Step 3:
In my case I needed to seperate the two gaskets. They are both 5/16 wide and they simply pull apart. Apply gasket to channel using ball point pen to press the gasket into place. Note this can be done using you're finger if your don't have sausages for fingers.

Step 4:
Trim gasket as close to the starting point as possible.

Step 5:
Leave lid upside-down for 1 hour minimum to allow glue to set.

Step 6:
Reinstall lid and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
i plan to do the same on mine, you can never have enough waterproofing.. I did test my Plano last weekend. We did trail ride, and huge water splashes (kids love it), and hundred of miles on heavy rain going about 65mph. As soon as i got home, I brought the boxes down and all our clothes and gears are dry! I'm pleasantly happy and i may grab a few more of these plano boxes.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

i plan to do the same on mine, you can never have enough waterproofing.. I did test my Plano last weekend. We did trail ride, and huge water splashes (kids love it), and hundred of miles on heavy rain going about 65mph. As soon as i got home, I brought the boxes down and all our clothes and gears are dry! I'm pleasantly happy and i may grab a few more of these plano boxes.

I have a 56 quart on the back of my 660 Yamaha and it got soaked during a water crossing even though the water was maybe 6 inches deep. Which is why I did this because of the cheap extra insurance.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

@AZ_Overland Did you place the flat side down in the channel of the lid...how did you apply the rubber sealer to the glue?
Yes flat side down in the channel. As the pictures show in step 3 a pen was used to apply pressure to the gasket against the glue. The rubber gaskets do also have a self sealing tape however I have found it not to be that great on its own.

Reactions: srotier

Brooke_Cances

Rank 0

Contributor I

Yes flat side down in the channel. As the pictures show in step 3 a pen was used to apply pressure to the gasket against the glue. The rubber gaskets do also have a self sealing tape however I have found it not to be that great on its own.

Oh got it. The photos were hard to see what was flat and rounded. I was thinking that it was a pen you were using in the photo but wasn't sure.

Reactions: AZ_Overland

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Never thought of this! I'll have to do it to mine, also... But, I am building a trailer (enclosed and sealed up) so it may not be very important, but would be nice to know they are waterproof in case I just toss them on the roof rack and don't bring the trailer for some reason.

Reactions: AZ_Overland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Did it and it worked great! Thanks for the tip

Reactions: ArcticTex

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
That is a great idea. I will have to look into buying some and I would think that they would also be dust proof.
Three days on the Mojave Road with the boxes up top absolutely no dust inside.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

I did the same thing with my totes. Also you can fit 12 of these in the back seat of a 2005-2017 Tacoma with the seats laid down.

Sterilite 10 Gallon Stacker Tote- Black, Case of 6