Contributor I

Bogue, NC
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Spring
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Preacher
I'm guessing Plano must've made some changes to the Sportsman Box. I picked up two the other day, and there are now cross sections of plastic in both the lid and box channels. I'm going to try to see if I can dremel the sections down at all and try to waterproof them like this. I'll post pics up or describe my epic failure next week.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I bought the cheap foam. Haven't gotten around to it yet. Same idea. I have 4 large and 4 small boxes.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm guessing Plano must've made some changes to the Sportsman Box. I picked up two the other day, and there are now cross sections of plastic in both the lid and box channels. I'm going to try to see if I can dremel the sections down at all and try to waterproof them like this. I'll post pics up or describe my epic failure next week.
I bought this EPDM Trim-Lok foam seal with high strength 3M adhesive almost three years ago for the Plano 1619 totes I have and have had no problem with it. It was a little over a dollar a foot. My Plano totes don't see as much hard weather or steady use as my Zarges or Pelican cases, but the foam seal has stayed put rather nicely.

I'm not sure I understand where you are seeing the cross sections of plastic. Are they just thin scrap from the roto-molding process, or do they interlock from case to lid? My containers are a smooth continuous groove in the lid all the way around that rests on the uppermost edge of the container, which is also smooth all the way 'round. If that's where you are seeing a cross piece, and it is molded in, not just thin scrap, I would not cut them out. I would cut your foam to go between them on the lid side.

I can't guarantee it, though wonder if Plano has made two versions of some of their sizes, or decreased their quality for mass marketing through big box home supply stores, where I've seen them in recent months for less than I paid two and half years ago. I see they are now less expensive on amzn too.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
In the large size bins, Plano has the 1919 and the 1819. The 1919 has the sturdy removable lid and I think it's the one you want if you are trying to weatherproof them. It also seems sturdier than the 1819, which has a hinged lid that is much thinner and doesn't have a channel that is conducive to weatherstripping. They look almost the same, so it's easy to get the 2 confused.

The 1919 is more expensive, probably about $10 more at retail. Home Depot recently had the 1819 really cheap. I got one for inside storage at the house, and it's ok for that.

Reactions: amherstBob

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have some of the 108qt Plano totes, #1919. I used
Frost King EPDM Rubber Self-Stick Weatherseal Tape, D-Section, 5/16" W, 1/4" T, 17 ft L, Black
from amazon, worked perfect.

labrunner

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bogue, NC
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Spring
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Preacher
In the large size bins, Plano has the 1919 and the 1819. The 1919 has the sturdy removable lid and I think it's the one you want if you are trying to weatherproof them. It also seems sturdier than the 1819, which has a hinged lid that is much thinner and doesn't have a channel that is conducive to weatherstripping. They look almost the same, so it's easy to get the 2 confused.

The 1919 is more expensive, probably about $10 more at retail. Home Depot recently had the 1819 really cheap. I got one for inside storage at the house, and it's ok for that.
That definitely sounds like my problem right there

amherstBob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Amherst, VA, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Some time ago I posted a picture of my storage solution using 8 Plano boxes... yeah 8. They break down as follows for 2 adults and 2 kids:
2 boxes for clothing
2 boxes for sleeping bags, air mattresses, air pump and wool blankets
2 dry food storage
1 kitchen and stove
1 miscellaneous (glow sticks, toilet paper, lanterns, batteries, fan, inverter big nets...)

With so many boxes not all of them fit in my Jeep. As a matter of fact I only fit 4 in my jeep along with an ice chest and in my Trailer I fit 4 Plano boxes and another ice chest. Because of my trailer being open they need to be water tight from rain and dirt and mixtures of the two.

So now on to the sealing of these boxes. For this I use Plano Sportsman 1719 68 Quart boxes all of my Overlanding boxes are Black (hunting/fishing are green).

Items needed are as follows:
Plano Box
EPDM rubber weather seal D profiled 5/16 wide 1/4 thick (see pic)
Super glue
Scissors
Ball point pen
Alcohol wipes (not pictured)

Weather seal and profile:

Tools:

Now that you have your supplies you are ready to do this simple task.

Step 1:
Start by flipping the lid over and cleaning the surface of the lip using alcohol wipes.

Step 2:
Place super glue in the straight channel of lid and allow a minute for the glue to start getting tacky. Note do not apply to the corners as the glue actually prevents the gasket from sealing against the plastic.

Step 3:
In my case I needed to seperate the two gaskets. They are both 5/16 wide and they simply pull apart. Apply gasket to channel using ball point pen to press the gasket into place. Note this can be done using you're finger if your don't have sausages for fingers.

Step 4:
Trim gasket as close to the starting point as possible.

Step 5:
Leave lid upside-down for 1 hour minimum to allow glue to set.

Step 6:
Reinstall lid and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app
Some time ago I posted a picture of my storage solution using 8 Plano boxes... yeah 8. They break down as follows for 2 adults and 2 kids:
2 boxes for clothing
2 boxes for sleeping bags, air mattresses, air pump and wool blankets
2 dry food storage
1 kitchen and stove
1 miscellaneous (glow sticks, toilet paper, lanterns, batteries, fan, inverter big nets...)

With so many boxes not all of them fit in my Jeep. As a matter of fact I only fit 4 in my jeep along with an ice chest and in my Trailer I fit 4 Plano boxes and another ice chest. Because of my trailer being open they need to be water tight from rain and dirt and mixtures of the two.

So now on to the sealing of these boxes. For this I use Plano Sportsman 1719 68 Quart boxes all of my Overlanding boxes are Black (hunting/fishing are green).

Items needed are as follows:
Plano Box
EPDM rubber weather seal D profiled 5/16 wide 1/4 thick (see pic)
Super glue
Scissors
Ball point pen
Alcohol wipes (not pictured)

Weather seal and profile:

Tools:

Now that you have your supplies you are ready to do this simple task.

Step 1:
Start by flipping the lid over and cleaning the surface of the lip using alcohol wipes.

Step 2:
Place super glue in the straight channel of lid and allow a minute for the glue to start getting tacky. Note do not apply to the corners as the glue actually prevents the gasket from sealing against the plastic.

Step 3:
In my case I needed to seperate the two gaskets. They are both 5/16 wide and they simply pull apart. Apply gasket to channel using ball point pen to press the gasket into place. Note this can be done using you're finger if your don't have sausages for fingers.

Step 4:
Trim gasket as close to the starting point as possible.

Step 5:
Leave lid upside-down for 1 hour minimum to allow glue to set.

Step 6:
Reinstall lid and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks again for this super post. How are they holding up after 4+ years? I'm looking at the 1918 - 108 qt- any thougts? A few posts complain wheels break through.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
My little boxes stood up to the test a couple of weekends ago they have the removable lid. It poured rain and we were driving on backcountry roads as well as interstate driving and nothing got wet. I used the cheapest foam gasket I could find at a big box store. I don't know the number but they are the smaller Plano Sportsman boxes.

Reactions: ArcticTex

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks again for this super post. How are they holding up after 4+ years? I'm looking at the 1918 - 108 qt- any thougts? A few posts complain wheels break through.
I just recently stopped using my Plano boxes but the gaskets held up for four years without a hitch. Never a leak or dust in them, the only issue is the box cracking at the handles.

Reactions: amherstBob

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Awesome! I was going to look into doing this with mine this year. I probably have a dozen of them ( solo camp gear, kayak gear, cooking gear, tools and spare parts etc...) I have had a few trips where some of my gear got wet and is no fun lol

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
This is brilliant but after reading this thread Im wondering; is it necessary? Has anybody actually had dust or water ingress in plano sportsman boxes? I know that it doesn’t take that much time, Im just lazy and easily distracted : ) Props to AZ_Overland for the solution.

jsalbre

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Meridian, Ada County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Albrecht
Service Branch
US Air Force
This is brilliant but after reading this thread Im wondering; is it necessary? Has anybody actually had dust or water ingress in plano sportsman boxes? I know that it doesn’t take that much time, Im just lazy and easily distracted : ) Props to AZ_Overland for the solution.
I used one of the larger Plano boxes (1819) in my oldWrangler when I had the soft top on, but after switching over to a Gladiator and then driving hours on dirt last weekend with it in the bed I can say that it definitely got dust inside. I’ll be sealing it up this week.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I've been sealing up these plano boxes in the same way for a few years now to keep dust out, it works AWESOME. Glad to see that others have been doing the same thing! :D

Reactions: Road