• HTML tutorial

Koopdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO, USA
Member #

Hi,

We are a family of 6 and I am just trying to sort out how much water we should be bringing for 3-4 day trips and how to effectively store that. Looking for suggestions on containers that safely store water on top of the vehicle (suburban). This water will be used for showers/dishwashing/hand washing. I have one 7 gallon reliance blue container . Should I just get more of those or look into something that mounts rooftop and we use a hose to use? How much water should I plan on?

We have 3gallon water cooler we use and keep inside the vehicle for drinking which works ok. Might get a second.

Thanks in advance for any advice .

Jared

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

1Truenorth

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midd.-tenn.
First Name
Wm
Last Name
Murray
1 gallon per person per day is a ROUGH rule of thumb.
Scepter 5 gallon jugs are the best you can buy. They are expensive although I found mine for 20.00 a jug used. They will last forever.
The problem with cheap containers is that they are so heavy a small fall can total them out, then you are stuck replacing them.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Take a look at this for a base line.

1 gallon per person per day is a ROUGH rule of thumb.
Scepter 5 gallon jugs are the best you can buy. They are expensive although I found mine for 20.00 a jug used. They will last forever.
The problem with cheap containers is that they are so heavy a small fall can total them out, then you are stuck replacing them.
Hi,

We are a family of 6 and I am just trying to sort out how much water we should be bringing for 3-4 day trips and how to effectively store that. Looking for suggestions on containers that safely store water on top of the vehicle (suburban). This water will be used for showers/dishwashing/hand washing. I have one 7 gallon reliance blue container . Should I just get more of those or look into something that mounts rooftop and we use a hose to use? How much water should I plan on?

We have 3gallon water cooler we use and keep inside the vehicle for drinking which works ok. Might get a second.

Thanks in advance for any advice .

Jared
Also how close are you to potable water. Water weighs 8.33 lb per gallon so if your close to potable water you can save some weight and space.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a Frontrunner footwell water tank in my Tahoe. It’s notched to fit over a drive shaft tunnel, I’m guessing for a Toyota. My tunnel is much wider so I built a very slightly raised platform to place the tank level. it holds just under 11 gallons.

Attachments

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
I have this 25 gallon ATV sprayer tank that came complete with 2.2 gpm 12 volt pump, hose and wiring. It was on special offer at Northern Tool. I also bought the 15 gallon model for the shower room. It is certified for drinking water use and seems pretty tough.water.JPG

Reactions: Sparksalot

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

look into something that mounts rooftop and we use a hose to use?
Do this, gravity feed is a wonderful system if the water is already up high. I would do 2 of the 7 gallon Reliance jugs altho running out of water is not a big deal if you have drinking water separate.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Already some good advices here! I would like to add that I would try to store water as low as possible and between the axles in the rig as it is heavy. I prefer canisters instead of a watertank. This because if I realised that I filled up a canister with water of questionable quality I can easily get rid of it without pouring away the whole water reserve. Cansiters are also more flexible in use. I can get them out of the rig to the place where I cook for example. Alwasy keep an eye on safe storage of canisters in the rig, I have a dediated place for them where they can´t move when it is getting rough.
For showering I have a black flexible water reservoir in use and do not use freshwater. That works fine. Attention: the water can get really hot in this waterbags, better to check and add cold water before use!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Big question here! The reliance containers have not served me well, I tend to bounce them enough to split seams. I use Coleman and blue VP racing fuel containers. I also bring a garden hand pump painted black for showers and dishes. Scepter makes very nice containers and there are all kinds of add ones for them. I own a bunch of other containers, if I was to replace mine Scepter is how I would go.

Next are you dry camping or can you fill sometimes? Water being 15 mins away is verY different than 2 hours away. I’ll talk about Baja camping on a beachas a example. I use ocean water in the hand pump for as much as possible. Dishes are washed and rinsed with the pump,then a final rinse with potable water. Showers are saltwater. You can use any water source in the hand pump (lake, stream, city water) I just don’t use it for potable water ever.

As to how much is up to you, how good is the family rationing water? Dishes can consume a lot if not careful. You might think about putting something on top of the rig, the water containers are heavy and not aerodynamic.

Koopdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO, USA
Member #

Thanks all for the input. Frankly we are new to camping as a family in general so its been a learning curve just how much we use. Our last trip there was a well pump nearby so we were able to refill our 7 gallon reliance for hand washing/dishes. We did run out of drinking water on the last day. We had accounted for the ice melting and it didnt...(good for the cooler keeping it frozen!).

We travel in a 3/4 ton Suburban but with a family of six, not sure how much floor space we would have for a water tank down low. But I like the idea of that tank. I could perhaps fit it in the back behind the food cooler, but just trying to think through logistics of packing. My goal is to organize the pack so that I dont have to unload other gear to get to the item we need.

The 7gallon reliance fits in a milk crate so I am thinking that a couple of those would give it support during transport on the rooftop. The weight shouldnt be an issue with this vehicle. The only thing I wish the reliance had was a standard garden hose attachment but its not a make or break feature I suppose. I can do another hose solution.

We do like to go dispersed camping which does not always have a nearby water source. Any suggestions on a water purification plan?

Again, thanks all for the input. Will definitely keep thinking this through.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
My personal setup for two are 3 canisters with 10 liters each plus in more remote areas an additional canister with 10 liters from which I filter water into bottles if necessary. Also also I carry the mentioned 20 liter fleixble reservoir for showering and a 5 liter flexible reservoir from Ortlieb just for washing hands on te trail and in camp. For additional drinking water we carry several bottles and sometimes buy 5 or 10 liter bottles in the supermarket just for drinking purposes. All depends a bit of the trip, duration and destination.

Place for 3 canisters behind one of the rear doors:

Warmwater fleixble reervoir lives on the hood:

and the little blue flexible reservoir behind the ladder:

Last edited:

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Also are close to a water source and the ability to filter or boil water for washing and other non drinking activities.
>Koopdaddy< Exactly what i also recommend - take as much water as you can but still carry filter (KATADYN f.in.) and be prepare to use it. Still Suburban is a piece of metal.... have U considered water storage on-board? I mean as low as possible - maybe between shaft and frame....?

Koopdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO, USA
Member #

>Koopdaddy< Exactly what i also recommend - take as much water as you can but still carry filter (KATADYN f.in.) and be prepare to use it. Still Suburban is a piece of metal.... have U considered water storage on-board? I mean as low as possible - maybe between shaft and frame....?
No I have not. Guess I wouldnt know where to start looking for that.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

No I have not. Guess I wouldnt know where to start looking for that.
I'll take closer look how the chasis of Suburban is constructed - the hopefuly will recomend sth for You....
Here is how I've done 100 litres water storage in my rig.
Advantage is - low gravity point and eficiency in interior planning

Attachments

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

what is kind vehicle ? sorry I saw you said suburban.Well Front Runner slim side mount should fit behind rear seats or along the trunk window. 225 bucks . 10 gal

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
For onbaord water you might look at the options Frontrunner (and others) have for using found space.

This guy gets pretty creative for space, and goes on all in for filtration and pumping, because of africa.

Last edited:

Andrew McGaha

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Memphis, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
McGaha
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4GKM
My personal setup for two are 3 canisters with 10 liters each plus in more remote areas an additional canister with 10 liters from which I filter water into bottles if necessary. Also also I carry the mentioned 20 liter fleixble reservoir for showering and a 5 liter flexible reservoir from Ortlieb just for washing hands on te trail and in camp. For additional drinking water we carry several bottles and sometimes buy 5 or 10 liter bottles in the supermarket just for drinking purposes. All depends a bit of the trip, duration and destination.

Place for 3 canisters behind one of the rear doors:

Warmwater fleixble reervoir lives on the hood:

and the little blue flexible reservoir behind the ladder:

Are these purpose built reservoirs for vehicles or just something you have invented? If purpose built... link?

Reactions: El-Dracho

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We have the 44L Frontrunner footwell tank - it lasts at least a couple of weeks for the two of us. Obviously not practical if you have all six in the vehicle though. I guess you could put a couple on the roof.

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

Currently using two 6 gallon blue water cans. Does anybody have a great idea for a roof mounted water system. Pressurize would be awesome but it can't break the bank. Covid19 has me on unemployment with lots of build time but limited money.