Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Hi all,

Up until now, I've only ever been responsible for myself, maybe one other, and a dog or two.

This summer, I'm planning on taking the WA BDR route. There will be at least 5 of us, 2 Jeeps, and a couple dogs.

I've always just packed enough water (and supplies) for my entire journey with the exception of fuel.

My question is... Next to purifying my own (not really the best use of time), where are some reliable places to refill water containers?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
A safe bet - for all needs is 2 gallons per person per day. Seems like a lot, but that is the safe side. Get a filter and pump water through it. The are not cheap. Creeks are OK if you do so, the higher altitude the better. Snow is GREAT and pure. You just need a container to melt it.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@jdunk

While not what you are asking (and in fact, specifically excluded) purifying water for a large group is not necessarily time consuming, given the right equipment.

I use a Berkley stainless steel water purification system at home, and it can be easily packed for travel use. Just dump in 1-1/2 to 6 gallons of relatively clean water (depending on Berkley size) and you'll have purified drinking water in an hour. For groups like you are describing, this seems ideal if you are traveling through somewhere where non-potable water can be easily accessed.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com

(Google image)

Steve

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We've noticed that a lot of state and national parks have water available near their camping areas and ranger stations.
We also carry lifestraws in case of emergency.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I carry lifestraws, I also use Berkey gravity system, there is TONS of options out there, while slow i actually prefer my Katadyn pump type. but it would take forever to pump that much water. Check out some of the survival forums they will have the best answers for that.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Thanks for the info. I guess I never really paid attention to the water spigots around the camp sites and ranger stations other than the ones that have huges signs that read "NON POTABLE WATER, DO NOT DRINK. LIVESTOCK ONLY."

I guess it would make sense that you could drink the ones without those signs.