Water - How Much Do I Need while Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Good article! You mention that you and Corrie need 20 gallons for a 5 day trip. When you look at the weight of that, it's a no brainer! For water weight and weight of containers, call it 180 - 190 pounds, or about the equivalent of carrying an extra person. That in the overall scheme isn't really that much weight to add and well within most rigs capabilities.

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Michael and Kelly

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Good article! You mention that you and Corrie need 20 gallons for a 5 day trip. When you look at the weight of that, it's a no brainer! For water weight and weight of containers, call it 180 - 190 pounds, or about the equivalent of carrying an extra person. That in the overall scheme isn't really that much weight to add and well within most rigs capabilities.

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk
Water = 8.4# per gallon

Gas = 6.2# per gallon

Case of MRE's = 22# per case

.223 ammo = 27# per 1k rounds/case

Propane = 4.2#/gal*

*This means a "full" propane tank should weigh about 37 pounds. (20# tank)

So when you go stacking stuff on a roof rack - or even in the bed/back of a rig - there are some real considerations to changing your center of gravity and balance/tip points. This Overlanding - self- sustained long term travel - can get heavy quick especially if you are traveling where you will need to resupply your own fuel/water. RTT and lots of other stuff have weight consequences not to mention hi-lift jacks and ice chests when full, etc.....

Something to consider!! Wheel safe & happy!!!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

The minimum for drinking water is 1 gallon per person per day, more if you plan to do hiking or other strenuous activities, more again if you are not acclimatized to high altitude (something people forget). Cooking, hygiene, dishes, etc all must be budgeted on top of drinking water.

Carried water can be reduced if you bring water filters/treatment and have access to natural water sources, unfortunately I rarely can count on that in the desert. Cooler ice melt can also be factored in and used for cleaning or even drinking in a pinch (sorry all you guys with fancy fridges).

Reactions: NetDep

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

The minimum for drinking water is 1 gallon per person per day, more if you plan to do hiking or other strenuous activities, more again if you are not acclimatized to high altitude (something people forget). Cooking, hygiene, dishes, etc all must be budgeted on top of drinking water.

Carried water can be reduced if you bring water filters/treatment and have access to natural water sources, unfortunately I rarely can count on that in the desert. Cooler ice melt can also be factored in and used for cleaning or even drinking in a pinch (sorry all you guys with fancy fridges).
All very good points and on the note of resources to recycle - that's a good point for a solar panel and/or solar inverter/generator -- no need for additional combustable fuel and a resource that doesn't need to be replenished -- that is, of course, if you are in an area with sufficient solar to charge your generator (which takes surprisingly little).

I am getting fond of this little guy......

Stay safe!!