Water Crossing

• HTML tutorial

crackblock808

Rank 0

Traveler I

When on a adventure and you come across a water crossing. What do you do or have done to prevent water from coming in to the Rig. Also what are the tip and tricks to protect your electronics inside and outside of your Rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I've never forded anything more than about 20-24" deep in my lifted Volvo wagon. I just crossed my fingers and said a Hail Mary then made sure to keep momentum to push water away from the grill/intake. Some muddy water came in the door seals and got on the sills and all weather mats in the foot wells but nothing too crazy.

I know folks have gone about a foot deeper than that in these wagons and lived to tell but that seems pretty crazy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: crackblock808

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Slow in, then speed up a little until you form a bow wave in front of you. Maintain that speed. The difference in pressure will lower the water in the engine compartment and sides. If you can, turn off any fans. They can chip or shatter if they hit water (assuming they are plastic). Secure a tarp over the front end.

For something like a river, you should walk it before just driving in. The center is more than likely going to be the deepest section. People can stand at critical points of the crossing to mark the line or a deeper hole to avoid. If it's fast moving water drive slightly upstream. This will let the water flow more easily around the vehicle instead of running broadside into it.

For electronics you're best bet is dielectric grease for inside the engine bay, and good door seals for the interior. Some seals have a gap at the bottom for drainage. That's great. It can also let water in. If you do a lot of water crossing you could put a dab of silicone to close that gap.

Attach a recovery strap to the rear (or front) end while you're on solid ground. Go in prepared to get stuck and you'll have a faster recovery if you do get stuck. You should also turn on your wipers before entering the water.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
When traveling alone, definitely walk/wade the water crossing first. If you have a winch you can even pull the line across when you was it and attach to a solid point on the other side - just for insurance purposes. Another thing to do is if the water crossing will be done again - like on the return trip be sure to note the level of the water on the bank and then check it again to see if the level has risen or gone down from the 1st time crossing. It might not be raining when you are now, but upstream it could be so always make a reference as to the height of the water.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Good tip on the winchline @Graeman. Though you'll need more than just the winchline if you're going to pull yourself across.

"Work smart, not hard." is another good thing to remember here. When checking the water, walk along what you think will be the line for the driver's side. Then on your return crossing, take the passenger side line of the tires. You need to know what lies underneath the water on both sides of the axles.

Last edited:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

The seals are the only thing keeping the water out. It can help a little if you roll up all the windows and turn on the ac or heat fan speed to the highest setting, and set it to recirculate. The idea is you're keeping positive pressure inside the cabin to keep water out. This is more effective with dust.

You need to know the location of every computer module inside the cab. Some are under seats, behind kick panels or the glovebox. There's usually not much you can do to waterproof them. Some people have tried to place them into Tupperware sandwich containers. Sealing the holes and allowing for proper ventilation to prevent overheating are the biggest hurdles.