Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have a Scepter type (non-Mil) water can that I want to add a spigot using a sandwich-style bolt/nut system to the lid the original spout uses so it can be easily removed from the can if needed, such as this. My question, aside from if this has been done before, is also what did you use or what would you suggest for a spigot? My Amazon find says it's lead-free compliant, but that's still a concern. Opening on lid is 1 1/4" and the mouth on the can is about 1 1/2".
IMG-6796.JPG

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
If you can't figure out a good way to make that happen, these look pretty slick: PLASTIC 5 GAL WATER JERRY CAN WITH TAP
I was considering this, however I have also looked at these as well since I have used them many years ago in Boy Scouts. I don't want to spend too much more since I've used this water can for a couple years without issue. this mod is mainly to help the kiddos dispense water easier since they cannot lift, tilt, and pour the thing easily when it is more than 1/4-1/3 full.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

its actually fairly easy. As far as the type of spigot to use, i went with a brass one from my local ace hardware shop. all it took as a threading adapter and the spigot itself.

I have a separate water can that i put a shower head on and installed an air valve on it to pressurize the water and create a mobile shower. (if you decide to go crazy with one)

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
This is the exact model, however it's much cheaper locally for me. The spout is different on mine but the same threading on the cap. I think I'm going to buy these to drill an appropriate sized hole for a spigot and add a vent for easier flow. Plus I can now add vents to my gas and mixed gas cans for the lawn equipment!

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I bought a couple of spare lids for my Scepter water tanks, removed the small spout cap and replaced it with a variety of basically garden hose connectors and a angled brass fitting that's commonly used on RV's. I added a pick up tube to the cap and it sits on the bottom of the tank. At the end of the tube I attached a 12V aquarium tank pump that I can easily plug into my trailer power. I travel with the original cap on the tank and store the "pump" cap in my tongue box or the cargo area of my Jeep. I have 10 and 20 litre tanks (2 of each) and the modified cap fits on all of them. The water pressure is almost as good as what I have in my house!

EXP97.JPGDSC_0077.JPG19-04-18 1.JPG

Last edited: