Washington Backcountry Discovery Route 2018.

• HTML tutorial

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

In my pictures above, the water in view is the Columbia River! Lake Chelan is out of view! Benz.

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

I don’t mean to dash anyone’s plans, but the fires have been really bad. No mountain in the Cascades high enough to ge you out of the smoke. Look at any of the the last couple of years on the satellite reports, and you will see for yourself. But I hope this will be a better year and no fires to mess with. Beautiful sunsets though! Benz.
Last summer was indeed unusually bad, but as with any fire season we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

With some of us wanting to do the route, we need to try and plan something together and plan a trip? I am open to most dates to plan something, anyone else have some ideas? Benz.

Reactions: Bigheadtinyarms

Skindoc

Rank 0

Traveler I

Seattle
I've mountain biked/bikepacked most of the WABDR (North to South) over the past two years. There are several sections of the route that are completely wrecked by landslides, at least they were when I ran them in late May 2017. I'm referring to the section of Beehive Road south of Wenatchee. I took photos of the section since it was so completely enormous. Road just gone. I'm unsure if that zone has been repaired or not. My plan is to run the WABDR in segments this summer in my truck. I'd like to start in Nighthawk again - it is unbelievably gorgeous up there. I would be delighted to join a group heading in either direction, on any section of the route.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Top of Beehive Road - South of Wenatchee on the BDR - I hope this is fixed - re-route otherwiseView attachment 54313
Thanks for the information!
Im looking for info about the WABDR. There is a good chance I'll be running it this coming summer and any info would be extremely helpful As well as anyone who would like to join.

Thanks.
James Kiehorn, did not mean to highjack your thread! Are you up for getting a group together and running this route? Skin doc, thanks for the great information. I will for sure see if between Forest Service, BLM ect. we can get an Idea if any of the route is closed and if you can get around the section if it is. Hope you can come with the group? Anyone else want to try and get something together for a trip this summer! Benz.

Reactions: Bigheadtinyarms

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I was thinking about running this again, or at least part of it this year. Depending on the dates, I may tag along for at least part of it.

If you create a Rally Point, think carefully when you set the limit on rigs. I probably wouldn't run a group larger than 8 or 10 up that (or really any) route at the same time. Also, make sure you put GPS coordinates to your start point if you want it to show up on the member map. There seems to be a bug with that, and if you only put an address, it doesn't display on the map. (It does show up as event either way.)

sweetride2go

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vancouver, WA
Member #

I ran this in 2012, south to north. We had a crew of 4, in three rigs. None of our trucks were new, but we made sure they were mechanically sound. I had purchased paper maps from the Forest Service, and plotted our route as close to the Pacific Crest Trail as we could, initially.

A few things I took from this... Plan on rerouting several times. I even checked with the FS on road closures before we left and we still ran into unforeseen gates, washouts, and closures, etc. The southern maps are detailed nicely, northern ones, not so much. The Bethel Ridge area is amazing, but there are pirate trails all over the place and not well marked. GPS saved us here, and even with it, some of the trails are so close together we still had a few to backtrack on. We brought extra fuel, but surprisingly only used a little more than half of what we had calculated, refilling at about a half tank. Plan on a LOT of dust, especially if you're in a group and not the leader. The drive back is a bit of a drag. haha

All that being said, I would love to join y'all on the bottom section. Not my favorite section, but still fun to do. :)

Ryan

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Also, our trip was fairly well documented on another forum, hopefully the link works.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089501
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089501
sweetride2go, thanks for taking the time to post the link and your trip! Looks like you had a great time too. And you’re right, to much of a set plan, can take some of the adventure out of the trip! skindoc, and you have had some good tips, on road closures to check out as much as possible before hand.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

So who want to be the “head horse”, and come up with a meeting point, and some dates to start this off? Anyone, want to take charge, or should I? Benz.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

My plan is to go mid July. After the 4th. South to north. I'd feel bad setting it up because I have zero experience.

I'm voting for Sat, July 14th. As the start date. Figure 6 days to get to Canada.

-jim lee

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

Question reference trail width for those that have driven this route. Would a Tacoma hauling an Xventure or M416 sized trailer be a good idea? I read the FAQ and it doesn't state either way but also states the route is double track yet in the photos it's all dual sports. So I'm curious if it would be accessible towing an adventure style/size trailer.

Respectfully,
Tom