Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have very limited storage space in my JKU when the wife and I take the kids on road trips. A M101 is in the future someday down the road. Anyway, I was looking at this Renegade Rack. I want to be able to put low profile gear on top such as tents, chairs, etc. I've heard good and bad about putting a rack on top of a Jeep JKU. But I see many with RTT's, so how bad could it be?

If anyone has any thoughts, or knowledge about this rack, please let me know. Or, experiences in general with racks. I know Gobi and Garvin are the premier rack systems, but I'm on a budget. Still trying to convince the wife that I need this. So please, if you have any info, good or bad, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12031_2100_07.htm

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I have a Gobi which I have had on two H3s and absolutely love it. I used to care spare parts and tools up there full time but have been working on moving the weight lower. They are great for carrying gear when you have a full load and it's amazing how handy they become. I personally wouldn't want a RTT up there all the time but with what you are talking about doing and how I use mine if you have came setup and hit the trails you don't have all that extra weight up there to worry about.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That's kind of the plan. Just put tents, chairs, equipment, etc. on top till we get to our destination. Take it all down, set up camp and then head out to explore. A guy at work today said a friend who owns a Jeep had a rack on his for about a week. He claimed that when passing semi's on the highway, it felt like the Jeep was going to blow over with gear up there. I really want to hit the purchase button and get it ordered. But it's nagging me that it could end up being a big waste of money. I'd love to have a Gobi but it's just not in the budget. Plus I want to keep my fastback, and I don't think Gobi makes offers one in that flavor.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I would suspect there are a number of factors to the guys experience including possibly exaggerating. Depending on his setup his rig might not be very stable on the highway regardless of the rack and that just made it worse. I have had absolutely zero issues with it feeling unstable when loaded for a trip but we are in different vehicles so I can what your experience would be. Trying to think of anybody with a JKU I know that has a rack I can check with.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I would suspect there are a number of factors to the guys experience including possibly exaggerating. Depending on his setup his rig might not be very stable on the highway regardless of the rack and that just made it worse. I have had absolutely zero issues with it feeling unstable when loaded for a trip but we are in different vehicles so I can what your experience would be. Trying to think of anybody with a JKU I know that has a rack I can check with.
I've been following a Gobi thread on a Jeep forum. No one seems to be complaining. I think your right. I don't know what lift the guy had, what rack it was, how it was installed, what he had on top, etc. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Renegade rack. I see JKU's with RTT's and no one seems to be complaining. Hopefully I can get it sometime this winter. Still selling stuff on Ebay so I can justify buying the rack.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I think you should be good to go with it and will be happy. I did just remember one incident when it felt unstable. Was coming back for an overland trip and ended up with an additional person and his gear for a week. We had to put a cooler on the rack and when that water started sloshing from side to side you sure knew it was up there. Not how I would normally pack and knew there was going to be more gear up there than I wanted but no choice. Pack smart as you stated above what you would put up there and I think you will be very happy.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

That is a pretty sweet rack. You Wrangler guys get all the cool bolt-on aftermarket goodies!!!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That is a pretty sweet rack. You Wrangler guys get all the cool bolt-on aftermarket goodies!!!
Lol, eventually my wife is going to bury me in my Wrangler after she kills me for spending so much money on it. I haven't even talked to her yet about putting a lift on our Grand Cherokee.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Lol, eventually my wife is going to bury me in my Wrangler after she kills me for spending so much money on it. I haven't even talked to her yet about putting a lift on our Grand Cherokee.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my Hummer parts and guns for what I told her I paid for them :dizzy:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my Hummer parts and guns for what I told her I paid for them :dizzy:
No kidding. But I have a trade off this time. I've been selling a few guns to get the stuff for the Jeep that I want.

Reactions: MarkW