Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I almost learned the hard way that my CARB compliant fuel cans would not work with my new truck that has a capless fuel tank. While I have used these cans with my old truck (2017 Ram 1500), my new truck (2022 Ram 1500) has a capless fuel tank. When I tried to pour the fuel into my tank it went everywhere but into the tank. Seems the capless tank has two fuel flaps. The one you can see and one further down the filler neck. The nozzle does not penetrate far enough to open this second flap. There I was driving around in the middle of nowhere secure in the fact that I had ten extra gallons of fuel “just in case” when in reality I had no way to get that fuel into my tank if needed. It could have been a very serious situation. Just some FYI for everyone to consider since capless seems to be the way of the future.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

I almost learned the hard way that my CARB compliant fuel cans would not work with my new truck that has a capless fuel tank. While I have used these cans with my old truck (2017 Ram 1500), my new truck (2022 Ram 1500) has a capless fuel tank. When I tried to pour the fuel into my tank it went everywhere but into the tank. Seems the capless tank has two fuel flaps. The one you can see and one further down the filler neck. The nozzle does not penetrate far enough to open this second flap. There I was driving around in the middle of nowhere secure in the fact that I had ten extra gallons of fuel “just in case” when in reality I had no way to get that fuel into my tank if needed. It could have been a very serious situation. Just some FYI for everyone to consider since capless seems to be the way of the future.
My 2017 GMC 1500 came with a specially designed nozzle in the glove box for this purpose. Works fine with my Rotopax cans and have used it several times. If you don't have it, hit up your dealer.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have the same thing in my 2500. I use the jerry can long neck flixible fill nozzle that works like a charm... unfortunately not CA CARB compliant.

• Love
Reactions: Desert Runner

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I just got a Chevy Colorado ZR2. It came with a funnel that the dealer told me was for fueling made for this purpose. It was in my glove box so if there's something like that there that's what it's for. If not you should go back to the dealer and ask them about it.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

I carry and use Rotopax 3 Gallon cans with the optional Rotopax RX-SP - Self Venting (Yellow) Spout on my 20, Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison, with no additional funnel needed. No issues getting gas into the cap-less tank.

20211030_120011.jpg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
My 2011 F-150 is this way but it also came with a plastic adapter that was packed in the area where the jack stuff was under the seat.

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Thanks for all the feedback. It got me looking and sure enough there was a tiny funnel under the front passenger seat with the jack gear. However, I had already ordered and tested (as soon as I got back from my trip) a funnel just like the one supplied by the dealer and no way in heck will it work. Actually, it might work OK with a small (not larger than a gallon) gas can. However, the opening is so small that you have to pour VERY slowly to keep from flooding the opening and having gas go all over the place. No way you are going to be able to hold a five gallon can up there and get it into your tank without spilling an awful lot of it. Certainly not a good solution. Thanks.

Reactions: MuckSavage

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Apparently, auto makers or the government feel humans are too stupid to know how to pour fuel. With the new nozzles, it’s almost impossible to pour fuel. Now this:(

Reactions: MuckSavage

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thanks for all the feedback. It got me looking and sure enough there was a tiny funnel under the front passenger seat with the jack gear. However, I had already ordered and tested (as soon as I got back from my trip) a funnel just like the one supplied by the dealer and no way in heck will it work. Actually, it might work OK with a small (not larger than a gallon) gas can. However, the opening is so small that you have to pour VERY slowly to keep from flooding the opening and having gas go all over the place. No way you are going to be able to hold a five gallon can up there and get it into your tank without spilling an awful lot of it. Certainly not a good solution. Thanks.

I had a hard time with my 14 GMC Sierra when I ever first tried it. Now my gas cap doesn't click, though it does appear to close and does not throw a code. I thought for the next time I would even put a funnel within a funnel if I had to. This is nuts but at least there's a work-around