Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I found a Warn 12-s on Craigslist for $800, it was like new. For bigger ticket items I prefer to buy USA made products, I know it's not always possible.
Thats a pretty good deal. The good thing about Warn, you can get almost any part for their winches. I've rebuilt a few and they are very easy to work on.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Thats a pretty good deal. The good thing about Warn, you can get almost any part for their winches. I've rebuilt a few and they are very easy to work on.
I live about five minutes from Warn headquarters. When I saw the winch on CL I jumped on it. I did need to pull the gear box apart, it didn't want to engage, I don't think it had ever been used. I cleaned and lubed and it's fine.

Reactions: Mike harpe

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I live about five minutes from Warn headquarters. When I saw the winch on CL I jumped on it. I did need to pull the gear box apart, it didn't want to engage, I don't think it had ever been used. I cleaned and lubed and it's fine.
That is pretty much what I had to do on a buddies Warn he got used but nib.... it sat on a shelf too long and the grease hardened. Cleaned it up and relubed the gears and she was gtg

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Mike harpe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

I pulled the trigger on the Smittybilt #98512 X2O Gen2 Comp, 98.5' synthetic rope,wireless/wired remote, waterproof, Hawse type fairlead, shipped $577 plus sales tax, so $624

It's got $200 worth of rope on it, if it's not shit it's a damn good deal. We'll see.

On to mounts, thanks for the input
Just make sure you wind the synthetic rope properly. I researched going synthetic to replace the cable on the factory power wagon winch, but I dont use it enough to want to deal with the maintenance it requires. Also you arent supposed to wind them up wet. I'm in south ga and rainy season has begun. I know I'll be needing it and dont wanna deal with a wet rope.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Just make sure you wind the synthetic rope properly. I researched going synthetic to replace the cable on the factory power wagon winch, but I dont use it enough to want to deal with the maintenance it requires. Also you arent supposed to wind them up wet. I'm in south ga and rainy season has begun. I know I'll be needing it and dont wanna deal with a wet rope.
More than anything I don't want the weight of wire rope, there are definitely pros and cons of both. In the end synthetic cost me $100 more than the best deal I could find on wire. This truck is not going "wheeling and crawling", the winch is about being a long way from help and needing some.

Mike harpe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

More than anything I don't want the weight of wire rope, there are definitely pros and cons of both. In the end synthetic cost me $100 more than the best deal I could find on wire. This truck is not going "wheeling and crawling", the winch is about being a long way from help and needing some.
I also would rather remove the weight. But I'll take the cable for now considering how little its used.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Okay, time to wade in on this Dodge/Chevy/Ford
:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: idea........err.....winch thing:sunglasses:

If you really are considering a SMITTY as an alternative to the WARN, look at the X20 gen II versions in the 10,000-12,000 K versions with your preferred synthetic line version. This gets you the IP 68 rating, which is the waterproof vs the 67 water resistant version. More importantly you get the wired/wireless remote included. It gets some good reviews, and as you mentioned in the OP, gets you some saved COIN IN YOUR POCKET. As you also mentioned, this piece of kit will not be unlimbered on a daily basis, and therefore will be used in a less taxing mode than the hardcore off-roader's will be using theirs for.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Okay, time to wade in on this Dodge/Chevy/Ford
:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: idea........err.....winch thing:sunglasses:

If you really are considering a SMITTY as an alternative to the WARN, look at the X20 gen II versions in the 10,000-12,000 K versions with your preferred synthetic line version. This gets you the IPF? 48 rating, which is the waterproof vs the 47 water resistant version. More importantly you get the wired/wireless remote included. It gets some good reviews, and as you mentioned in the OP, gets you some saved COIN IN YOUR POCKET. As you also mentioned, this piece of kit will not be unlimbered on a daily basis, and therefore will be used in a less taxing mode than the hardcore off-roader's will be using theirs for.
IP68, yes waterproof.

I ordered the 12K/lb X2O Gen2 Comp which is equipped with synthetic line, looks like a good value, we'll see.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Hope you like it.
Well reviewed, as good or better specs than most competitors and the price is right, we'll see.

I ordered a Warn winch plate for it yesterday after looking at the competitors materials and design, the Warn was a no brainer, slightly more money, but heavier materials and superior design.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
You'll have to tell us what you think about it once you have used it a while. I am also looking primarily at the smitty 17.5k to put on my 2500.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

You'll have to tell us what you think about it once you have used it a while. I am also looking primarily at the smitty 17.5k to put on my 2500.
Seriously if a Warn was 30% more, I'd have bought one, but 300% more?

The Warn winch plate is +/- 30% more than obviously inferior competitors, I'm in.

A "comparable" Warn 12K, IPX68, Synthetic, wireless is $2k. I'm not afraid of spending money but damn.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Seriously if a Warn was 30% more, I'd have bought one, but 300% more?

The Warn winch plate is +/- 30% more than obviously inferior competitors, I'm in.

A "comparable" Warn 12K, IPX68, Synthetic, wireless is $2k. I'm not afraid of spending money but damn.
I feel the sane way. There is no way, tested side by side, that a warn will out perform the others by their price margin. They do have a lot of marketing to pay for.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exactly why I went with a Smitty, in their steel cable 17.5K offering. On another thread, on another post, I went thru why I chose it over other brands. Customer satisfaction was a main selling point, right next to price ($$$). The third reason was the winches dimensions. They matched the WARN 16.5K in everything but a one Inch size dim. in the WxHxD. This was important as the ARB I got, would accommodate the big WARN. The ARB I have encloses the winch in a 3 side pocket. Good for theft protection, but iffy for fit, which it did....barely.

My 2500HD will probably never see DEEP MUD, but you never know. Living in the West, a snow extraction scenario is more likely. Being such a heavy rig, I wanted the extra capacity, and not strictly rely on 1 or more snatch blocks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"bgenlvtex"

"Seriously" if a Warn was 30% more, I'd have bought one, but 300% more?

PNW EXPLR
I feel the sane way. There is no way, tested side by side, that a warn will out perform the others by their price margin. They do have a lot of marketing to pay for.
OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png

Last edited:

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I have a Smittybilt 9,500k and a 10k. Both have been reliable and the price was very reasonable. Additionally, both are steel cable. I like the safety benefit of synthetic, however I passed on it due to expense as the fact that my winches are exposed to UV light 365 days a year. Obviously a cover could solve the UV issue.

Considerations: Pros- Smittybilt has excellent customer service in my experience. Cons-Replacement cost for a motor, is the same a buying a complete new winch assembly. Smittybilt uses a motor with a proprietary shaft dimension which is only available from them.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Something to know about current production WARNs, they are Chinese made. The ONLY winch that Warn still makes in the US is the 8274. That being said, their quality isnt any better than the other options.
From my personal experience I have only run Mile Markers. I had a 4500lbs on the 1980 Isuzu and it pulled like a bastard. I used it to recover full sized rigs a few times (had to use a strap to hook the rear of my little Isuzu to tree as it didnt weight enough to actually pull much of anything, lol).
Really the key to making any winch reliable and long lived is simply keeping it cool, never stalling the motor, and ensuring it has adequate and constant power supply.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Something to know about current production WARNs, they are Chinese made. The ONLY winch that Warn still makes in the US is the 8274. That being said, their quality isnt any better than the other options.
From my personal experience I have only run Mile Markers. I had a 4500lbs on the 1980 Isuzu and it pulled like a bastard. I used it to recover full sized rigs a few times (had to use a strap to hook the rear of my little Isuzu to tree as it didnt weight enough to actually pull much of anything, lol).
Really the key to making any winch reliable and long lived is simply keeping it cool, never stalling the motor, and ensuring it has adequate and constant power supply.
MM doesnt get enough credit. Go with a hydro unit and you wont even worry about keeping it cool, or stalling, might have to upgrade the PS Pump for the power suppky, but most rigs thats pretty easy as well.