Want to take nephew to Rubicon trail head in my subi, looking for tips on a place to camp where you can see the action but out of the way.

• HTML tutorial

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

hey all.

i live an hour ish from the rubicon trail and i fish and boat and camp loon lake a TON. super familiar with all things crystal basin UNTIL you get to the rubicon. i have a subi so im not trying to get on the trail at all. my 10 year old nephew from los angeles is all about trucks and jeeps and wanted to hang out in the woods with me for his summer break. i figured lets camp a night or three at the rubicon trail head / north loon area.

anyone know a solid place to camp (roof tent and minimal gear) at or near the trail head? can i actually make it far enough in to get away from the parking lot? should i just go there myself ahead of him coming up and scout? again, no interest in breaking my car to get to the rubicon. i know its NOT meant for a lightly lifted forester.. just trying to show lil dude a good time somewhere he can see all the cool rigs passing by.

thanks!

PickUpYourTrash

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Myrtle Beach, Horry County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Oliver
Member #

hey all.

i live an hour ish from the rubicon trail and i fish and boat and camp loon lake a TON. super familiar with all things crystal basin UNTIL you get to the rubicon. i have a subi so im not trying to get on the trail at all. my 10 year old nephew from los angeles is all about trucks and jeeps and wanted to hang out in the woods with me for his summer break. i figured lets camp a night or three at the rubicon trail head / north loon area.

anyone know a solid place to camp (roof tent and minimal gear) at or near the trail head? can i actually make it far enough in to get away from the parking lot? should i just go there myself ahead of him coming up and scout? again, no interest in breaking my car to get to the rubicon. i know its NOT meant for a lightly lifted forester.. just trying to show lil dude a good time somewhere he can see all the cool rigs passing by.

thanks!

This idea makes me so happy. You’ll get to see so many cool rigs. Teach trail etiquette! Not sure where to camp. I’m jealous you get to be so close.

-LIBTYFI

Marcus