want to plan a true overland trip/experience 2021.. NY to ME..

• HTML tutorial

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
There is a free bus service on MDI that ends columbus day weekend, or whatever that holiday is called now. In the Summer, its standing room only. My GF and I got a tour of MDI from one of the drivers on the last weekend a few years ago and we were the only ones on the bus. It was nice, for a change, we got to be tourists and look at the island without having to concentrate on the road. With Covid, who knows if it's going to open again this year. Midweek in Oct is the best time to visit Acadia, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusther210

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

@egilbe, AWESOME information.. Thank you for all the insight.. I have fell waaaay behind on getting this all figured out.. I "was" considering on making this trek the week before or after Memorial Day, to include the weekends. what are your thoughts on that? Do you think, then, that coastal Maine should be avoided? I had hoped to include the coast to be able to see a few light houses, etc. I've always wanted to..Mt. Washington during the week then? How does pay the fee{s} to be able to camp in NMW? Would that info also be in a Gazeteer? What is the name of the publication that covers Maine that sells items, etc? Uncle Henry's or something like that? I used to have a few..

Reactions: Blactp

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

OK. Still planning on the week before or after Memorial day.. We will be jumping on the Appalachian Byway trail just east of Utica,NY after spending the night in/around Old Forge/Moose River Plains, NY..The idea will be to follow the byway to the end around Baxter{?} Lake in Maine.. From there, I'm undecided. Might go south to Acadia, or the coastline in general. I'd like to find a campsite or 2 along the way to be able to shower. Planning on AT LEAST a 6-7 day trip. I'd like to hop off the byway in VT to enjoy a few other trails and get back on. After ending the byway in ME, do we go south or should we go explore a bit more north?

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

OK. Still planning on the week before or after Memorial day.. We will be jumping on the Appalachian Byway trail just east of Utica,NY after spending the night in/around Old Forge/Moose River Plains, NY..The idea will be to follow the byway to the end around Baxter{?} Lake in Maine.. From there, I'm undecided. Might go south to Acadia, or the coastline in general. I'd like to find a campsite or 2 along the way to be able to shower. Planning on AT LEAST a 6-7 day trip. I'd like to hop off the byway in VT to enjoy a few other trails and get back on. After ending the byway in ME, do we go south or should we go explore a bit more north?
I am not heading back up to Maine from Virginia until (as of right now) the last week of August to hit the NMW again. Hoping to spend four or five nights there.

TK-421

Rank III

Enthusiast II

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Wenner
Member #

Following this. Might be a possibility. I'm 30 min SE of Buffalo.

There are seasonal roads through the Adirondacks that any 2 wheeler can get thorough....gravel roads that follow creeks and even pull offs to camp or lunch at.

We can do the first week of June.

Last edited:

Luke VC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
sounds like a great trip brewing ... following to see the details ...

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

So as of right now it looks like I will be making my third annual trip to the North Maine Woods starting on 8/21/21 and returning home by 8/29/21. Of course I could extend that by a day on either end. I live in Virginia. Anyone from this part of of the country interested in a convoy? Would be more than happy to meet up with others along the way.

The big problem with visiting Maine is you have to decide between the tourists or the insects. Go to the coast (i.e. Acadia) during the summer and you have thousands of tourists. Go to the western part of the state (i.e. NMW)during the same time period and you have thousands of insects to deal with. I went the last week of July last year and the insects were still kind of bad depending on the immediate area you were located.

You absolutely do NOT want to hit the NMW during moose season. That starts 9/27/21 (Monday) this year. The place is packed with hunters so finding a campsite is impossible. Bottom line if you are going to NMW. Go as late as possible to avoid the insects but before Moose season!

Also, best to avoid weekends when you might have to compete with “locals” for the authorized camp sites. You can only camp in the authorized locations so best to hit NMW on weekdays if you are traveling from afar.

Reactions: cgranier

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Yeah.. I put in my vacation days as the last week of May..We're leaving home on the 21st.. coming home on the 30th..

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

The plan now is to leave home in Jamestown and head to Moose River Plains on May 21.. stay the night Friday..Saturday we'll get on the Appalachian Byway in Vermont at Chateauguay Rd.. I've seen some YouTube vids and not sure I want to do this area alone..hahaha.. Then we'll see where we are time of day..From here we'll join on the Trans NH Overland trail for a few sections then back on the AW..We'll follow this up to Baxter Lake, to the end of the Byway.. after that, there is a small trail area that I want to look into more north of the lake.. From here, we'll head either more north into the NMW or south to Camden{?} campground near coastal Maine..Then back home..I'd like to ad in Mount Washington and possibly the Ghost Trains..I have to search around for more area "attractions"..Waterfalls, covered bridges and other places.. It'll be my wife, our 2 dogs and myself so we'll be a bit limited to checking out public places like an auto museum like mentioned elsewhere.. This is what we've figured out thus far.. we have a bit more detail but I'll post that later as we figure out other trails, night stays, etc..I also have a Maine Gazeteer..Gotta look a bit harder at that too.

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

So how did the trip go?
You know. I went up to Maine to the North Maine Woods the last week of August. By the time I went I had forgotten all about this thread. Maybe it was just the excitement of going. Not sure what else happened with any others.

Reactions: TK-421

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Hey all.. Happy New Year.. From what I saw before we took this trip, 1/2 of the route we had mapped out had trails that weren't open until after June 01.. We decided to put this trip on the back burner and went to Michigans UP instead.. Not sure if we'll try this Maine trip this year or not. I did gain another week of vaca and 2 days of sick time, but a 9 day vacation may not work this year with other family plans we have happening out of state..As of now for this year, I'm looking at 4-5 day weekend trips.. Catskill region, eastern Tenn, se WV...etc.. I am sorry that I didn't keep you all informed though. Myself and a friend statred up our own Overland Group on FB and have been active with that..We are Tri State Overland.. NY,OH,PA mainly. But we are getting new members every day from all over.. just over a year old and we're almost to 1000 members..

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
To any one in New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia...or an interest in those areas...i highly Recommend joining Tri State Overland. Great group of people. Much more active than all the outlets I browse.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Excellent referral @DevilDodge!

View attachment 219278

"Welcome to Tri State Overland!

Tri State Overland was born of a few overland communities from Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania. Recently, we have expanded to include fellow overlanders from surrounding states. Smaller overland and off road groups came together to travel and explore places and create some great memories. We are building an overland community for all to come and enjoy this hobby and experience great trails, camping and camaraderie all over the country! As we have grown, so has our love for this great hobby and our appreciation for this way of life. We are a home for all who love to travel, camp, explore and more! From Jeep and Dodge to Toyota and Subaru and everything in between, we welcome all who want to explore remote parts of the country with us. Welcome to Tri State Overland!"

Link: Tri State Overland for non-Facebook members
@Scout and his friend deserve all the credit. Great group. Truly focused on overlanding the east coast Mountains...my favorite place in the world...ha

Reactions: TSO_NJ